Padarn Railway Guards Van

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Padarn Railway Guards Van

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Anyone who has visited the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at Tywyn (or their website - http://www.ngrm.org.uk/Collections/Indu ... ries/DQ008 ) will be familiar with the wooden Guard's Van on the Host Wagon together with its interior.

Rob Bushill of Swift Sixteen has produced an excellent resin kit of the later metal Guard's Van which has become a popular model - http://www.swiftsixteen.com/productDeta ... oductID=65

Here is a video screenshot of mine on duty on the 'Rhydypendryn' layout at the recent Llanfair Garden Railway Show.

And the official ex-works photo.

However the question remains - 'What did the interior contain'? Some photos were posted on the 16mmngm Yahoo Group but at that time you had to subscribe to the e-mails in order to see the attachments.

So as part of my recent long weekend to N.Wales I stopped in at Llanberis before returning to Glasgow, and included a brief visit to the National Slate Museum where this metal Guard's Van is preserved.

I asked the very pleasant young lady who was greeting visitors in the reception/shop if it would be possible to see the interior of this Guard's Van and she recommended seeking out one of the volunteer staff, which I duly did. The end door would not open so here is the interior viewed through the opening side door.

A metal 'Sentry Box'!

Chris Cairns

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for the pics as I was there on Sunday last and didn´t take any :?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:12 pm

I had the pleasure of riding in the one at Llanberis and can confirm the ride is bumpy...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Looks like a cell on wheels!
Must have been a noisy ride, wonder why they built it in metal?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!