TVT Bogie Rollingstock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
GTB
Driver
Driver

TVT Bogie Rollingstock

Post by GTB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:20 am

These models were built earlier this year, when it was too hot in the workshop, so I was working inside the house. The under frames for bogie wagons had been sitting around on the bench for some time and this was an opportunity to finish some of them.

When the weather started to cool off I was back in the workshop, so these had sat around unpainted since Easter. I finally finished the loco project recently and started to paint these models. It is mid-winter here, but the sun appeared temporarily and I was able to take the final photos.

Construction is by my usual methods of wooden under frame and either wood or polystyrene bodywork. You'll find more detail in previous posts on goods trucks.

The bogies started life as LGB US type arch bar trucks, known as bar frame bogies in this part of Aust. They looked a bit airy, as LGB don't include brakes in the moulding. Consequently, as well as fitting my own wheels, I fitted a basic representation of the type of brakes fitted to VR bar frame bogies. See first photo for a before and after shot.

This first batch of models includes a bogie goods guards van, which is basically the same as the existing 4 wheel model stretched to include another van compartment. Bodywork is polystyrene sheet laminated to build up thickness and recess the windows to the correct depth.

The following photos show the model assembled and then painted.

The other models in this batch are two bogie cattle trucks, which are basically two 4 wheel truck bodies fitted on the same bogie underframe as the guards van. Body work and under frame is wood (hoop pine I think) and ply, with LGB bogies and a laminated polystyrene roof. I'd have preferred a corrugated iron roof, but couldn't find a suitable size sheet of the corrugated paper I used on the 4 wheel trucks.

The following photos. show the two models assembled and then a closer photo of a painted one.

There is still a couple of bogie underframes on the bench to be completed as open wagons and a bogie louvre van may appear as well at some point.

TVT Story

With traffic levels building up on the TVT after the Kaisers War, the TVT had invested in more powerful locos and decided to introduce bogie goods trucks for the new traffic, rather than extending the 4 wheel fleet.

Using bogie wagons allowed some goods and the mixed trains to run faster, so some timetabled trains were accelerated a little. Although it doesn't make a lot of difference to the working of the roadside goods, which stops and shunts at every station and siding along the way.

After the kerfuffle with the guards over the passenger guards vans, the new bogie vans for goods trains were fitted with stoves and the guard compartment partitioned off.

The bogies are the same bar frame type as the goods trucks though, so the ride hasn't improved much. The engineers private view being that the rough ride tends to keep the guard awake.....

Regards,
Graeme

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 am

This stock is very different to what I'm used to but the standard of modelling is clearly very high and makes me want some. :shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 am

Very nice. With the risk of being derided as a rail-nerd, how did you do the bolts (I assume) on the sides. Looks very good indeed.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:54 am

A lovely set of wagons, nicely finished. I think we can safely say this is a skill I've yet to acquire but the pictures are very aspirational.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:14 am

Most impressive.... excellent detailing and superb finish.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Absolutely lovely! I like 'em all, but especially the bogie brake...

Thanks for the photos,

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:04 pm

kandnwlr:102946 wrote:how did you do the bolts (I assume) on the sides.
I used Peco pins (SL-14), pushed through a 0.6 mm hole with a smear of superglue, then clipped off flush on the inside.

Yes, they represent bolts, not rivets. Wooden wagons were assembled with coach bolts.

Graeme

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:04 pm

That's a good way to do bolts: I used to heat 'em up and plunge them through Plasticard frames on Brian Clarke Simplex locos!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:00 pm

An excellent rake of wagons, love the brake detailing on the bogies, and the finish of the bodies, just lovely.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:28 pm

Wow!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 am

As always, a significant 'drool factor!'

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:05 pm

This is a much higher standard of model-building than one usually sees. Your locomotives are excellent too. I should very much like to see one of your trains in action. Alas, my wife is unwilling to visit Australia due to the spiders. Any chance of a video showing off your work under way?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Keith S:103091 wrote:I should very much like to see one of your trains in action. Alas, my wife is unwilling to visit Australia due to the spiders.
You live in a country with the two largest land carnivores in the world and she worries about spiders? If it comes to that, your arctic wolf spider is larger than anything we have here in SE Oz ........

If your significant other has a sense of humour, do a YouTube search for 'red back on the toilet seat'....... 8)
Keith S:103091 wrote:Any chance of a video showing off your work under way?
I don't have a track and to run anything I have to pack a train and visit a friend's place. Video isn't part of my skill set and I usually forget the stills camera as well.......

This is one of the few shots I have of any of my models in use. The new goods stock hasn't run trials yet, so this will have to do. Bogong is on the weekly Omeo 'express', taken last year when it was running trials.

Regards,
Graeme

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:02 pm

very impressive high quality models, bet they took a fair amount of time to make