Darjeeling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Darjeeling Stock

Post by SpudUk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Hello Folks,

I know of IP Engineering and Yatton, but does anyone else in the UK produce Darjeeling rolling stock? Can anyone comment on quality?

Cheers

Chris
Chris Auckland

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:41 pm

Brandbright did a small range, and also "Twin Mountain Works", who sold through Brandbright. I've not had experience of either with regard to Darj stock, I'd imagine you couldn't go too far wrong with the Brandbright kits though.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:12 pm

I've built two Yatton modern Darj coaches - I'm going to write the third one up.

The method of construction is rather unusual: you build the underframe (which is fairly complex) and bogies and paint them, then you add the coach floor and assemble the body sides and ends, not fixing them to the floor. Take care when you insert the 3D-printed bearings in the bogie frames - it's possible to insert them too far so the axles don't stay in place, but there IS a piece of radical surgery that can cure this at a later tage (like wot I did). You build up the roof from the strips of ply provided, fill and sand the roof to get a smooth finish, then paint the outside - I asked Roundhouse fro the RAL Number for the paint and got some mixed locally.

The seats and toilet compartment partitions are all stuck to the floor, then you fit the flush windows. For the window frames, you get laser-cut pieces of silver coloured sticky back plastic - you stick these to the coach sides using the lasered lines around each window as a guide. Then, you insert the glazing (which is a tight fit in each window aperture) from the inside - the whole thing was delightfully easy to do!

I'm not a fan of the magnetic couplings he supplies so made my own hook ones - these tend to droop a bit.

The one thing I DON'T like is putting them on the track - there's that much underframe in the way that it can be a pain to get them on the track. I'm going to invest in a re-railing ramp for the job and have seen a couple with this label on:

Anybody know who makes it? It's not Roy Wood - I've already asked him!

I've also built a pair of IP Engineering vans - the standard van and the (smaller) tea van. Watch the corrugated roof on the standard van - it's only embossed paper and is very fragile and vulnerable when being transported. You need to take care with the positioning of the brake lever on the end............... and the coupling heights aren't consistent, which makes making up a train "interesting". Otherwise, a blast of rattle can red primer with black detailing finishes the job.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 pm

And you might want to look at Barfell

http://barfell.co.uk/index.php/rail/rolling-stock

And a supplier they represent "Pline", though the website is currently not working.