G&DR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

S&DJR Rolling stock

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed May 29, 2013 7:02 am

I've been very quiet on the internet lately, so much so that I'm not even updated the weekly blog I promised to do. I'm going to review that situation and make a decision on it s future as a weekly effort was getting a little on top of me. Maybe monthly instead?

Anyway....

I've managed to finish off the rest of my wagons with only the brake van now left to do.

The first wagon to show is the already finished open wagons which I wanted to fit with a tarpaulin. The tarpaulin itself was some tin foil, primed with halfords and painted with revell dark green. The strapping was some cross stitch thread bought from boyes with the knots dabbed with super glue.

The second wagon was painted a lovely shade of humbrol cockpit interior green and given a private owner livery (the name of a very dear but bemused artist friend). and given a load of coal, smaller pieces that the loco coal wagon though... ;)

and the final one painted a Revell yellow colour, and given some crushed party balloon ballast to represent road or railway ballast to be taken from the quarry to a distribution centre.

and this is the lonely Jemima pulling them.

Last edited by Sylvian Tennant on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 am

Nice and 'rustic' looking......very effective out in the open.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 am

Very impressive, especially the lettering on the Higgins open. :D

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm

I like the wagons, Good idea to use foil on the wagon for a tarpaulin I was wondering how to do it.
Last edited by Big Al on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:48 pm

THose look great- you're getting good at decorating wagons. I should send mine to you for overhaul. Mine are looking rather plain.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:11 am

Geez! Thanks guys :oops:

Live steam maybe a bit of a learning curve for me but I'm pretty much at home here with this who model building thing.

However... the train is not yet complete (for the moment)

I shall offer you some tantalising images of my next 16mm project before I revert back some some 4mm scale stuff for foreseeable future. Not that I'm bored of 16mm thing not at all. Just that since the start of this year my modelling time has been pretty much 16mm and I have an exhibiton to present some of my smaller stock at so I best crack on with that asap.

Anyway pictures!

I had to file down the weight to get it to fit under the box but she's coming along! A man's work is never finished though and I'm looking forward to Elsecar to strengthen this rake. I saw an interesting article on modifying an IP tank wagon :P

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:16 am

Sylvian Tennant:86018 wrote: I had to file down the weight to get it to fit under the box
Looking good! Just in case it helps with future projects, I discovered the delights of fishing wrights recently and found that they can be reshaped very easily with club hammer - I managed to get two of 'em (probably smaller ones) underneath a slate wagon. Very theraputic too...

All the best,

Andrew

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:32 am

Andrew:86022 wrote:I discovered the delights of fishing wrights recently and found that they can be reshaped very easily with club hammer - I managed to get two of 'em (probably smaller ones) underneath a slate wagon. Very theraputic too...
Thanks for that Andrew, I'm not sure that I actually need any weights at the mo' but I'm sure gonna pick some up today!

And the club hammer is waiting ;)

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Excellent! Cheers for the tips there Andrew. I never realised they'd file so easily too.

My next set of wagons I plan to run at least one empty.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:29 am

Okay so after 8 months I've now finally come to the end of the first chapter of 16mm scale modelling. With this, my new brake van.

It is a modified IP Engineering kit with saftey chains, handrails, foot boards and a furnished interior built from scratch.

The van is weighted wth a fishing weight under the chassis and hidden by a box ala LMS style.

The roof is removable to access the interior which include a seating area with table, a stove (built from plastic tube and a seal-able bottle top)

Bramwell the guard chats to Ted about his new Van :D he seems happy.

Now I've finished another chapter of 16mm scale, I'm gonna give it a bit of a rest, save some running and concentrate on some 4mm project I have in mind.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:37 am

Impressive Mr T. Wish I hadn't been so impetuous with mine and took the time to add an interior! I must add some handrails, you've made a tidy job of them.

Good luck with the 4mm, I need to get back to Flaxborough Wharf at some point -80s railfreight..
Bazzer42

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:03 am

Very nice. 8)

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

G&DR rolling stock

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 pm

as the railway takes on a new name - I have had to amend their liveries slightly.

In some cases I decided to completely relivery them. The wagon that was originally sheeted and the stone wagon are now to be private owner coal wagons - named after friends and family members.

More to come as three more coal wagons are on their way which I hope to have completed by October.

I have other stock planned to be built in the near future but with the fine year of Uni and a job plus the railway still needing to be completed things will progress slowly.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:43 pm

Three more new coal wagons are currently painting up awaiting fittings.

I plan to batch make the fittings a day at a time (when that allows)

Each wagon is named after friend or family member a sa small thank you to their support.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Right a lot of the work was kept under wraps as some of these were made for some friends and family members. But the whole thing is done now.

The coal train so far. Made up of 7 wagons - the majority being IP Engineering basic open wagons and one Brandbright 5 Plank. The engine can just about handle these (though today it was rather wet up here so it struggled a lot in the inclines and tight curves).

The wagons above were reconditioned from one I already had - with either just a touch up to the original finish, repaint or full on conversion from other dudes to carrying Coal.

The one below were built new.

Currently it can haul all all sixteen axels behind it inc Brake Van but it is quite long and did struggle in the wet weather today so I think maybe restricting it to 5 or 6 wagons max.

Next up building work, ballast the line and a van train.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Very nice work, the addition of little details really helps to bring them to life. :thumbright:

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Currently it can haul all all sixteen axels behind it inc Brake Van but it is quite long and did struggle in the wet weather today so I think maybe restricting it to 5 or 6 wagons max.
Wow. You must have really weighted those wagons down. From what I read from others here Lady Annes can haul significant trains!

The wagons and brake vans look great though. I love the extra details you've added to the brake van.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks chaps

Aye I certainly have. Inside each is a 4oz fishing weight. Truth be told they may not actually need it but the track now and previously has been laid quite rough so the extra weight should help them stay on track if not just keeping the little lady working hard.

The IP stuff is just great as a basic building block for your own improvements no matter how simple and a lot of the upgrade came from spare wood from the bit holding the kits together.

KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Your colorful and individual wagons have a certain quirkiness, I like the outcome.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Re: G&DR Rolling Stock

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:53 pm

The rebuilding begins. Originally I had glues the coal yo represent full rakes. In hindsight I realised thus was a mistake as I like empty stock as well as full rakes. So the plan is to completely revote my stock once again. I'm removing the vacuum braking from the coal Wagons and giving them to future stock. It saves a bit of money and I like representing the full standard gauge equivalent with non fitted mineral stock and fitted merchandise and coaching stock. It'll also give me a chance to play around with lamp codes.
FB_IMG_1571327568374.jpg
FB_IMG_1571327568374.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 7288 times
FB_IMG_1571327573633.jpg
FB_IMG_1571327573633.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 7288 times
Overall the first wagon came out pretty neat once the wooden supports and weights where removed and sanded down. There has been an additional plus with the coal weathering the interior automatically.