(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 pm

The Gladstone Car's not quite finished (awaiting a dry day when I'm not at work for spray priming the figures and roof) but I've made a start on the next carriage project:

These will be the sides of a pair of WHR summer cars, one "open", with no glazing, and a partially-glazed "semi-open". I'm adding the matchboarding with strips of walnut which I've not used before but which seems like lovely stuff so far. Assuming I progress at my usual rate it will be next summer at the earliest before they actually enter service!

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:21 pm

"I love you"
"I know"

Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher revisit their Star Wars romance in the balcony of my Gladstone Car model, even if the wardrobe department have got their films in a muddle and  given Mr Ford his Indiana Jones costume...

Meanwhile in the saloon, William Gladstone is wondering how come he's trundling about in "his" carriage decades after his death. No wonder he looks a bit pale...

With the figures in place I've just got the roof to go and then my Gladstone Car should be finished - If the weather's good enough to get it out in the garden I'll try to post pictures this weekend.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:16 pm

Finally got the Gladstone Car finished off last week, and a brief spell of sunshine this morning enabled me to get some photos - so here it is:

Not quite as accurate as I'd like but its vermilion paintwork makes a nice change from Colonel Stephens Kentish Green, and it gives me a three coach Welsh Highland rake for the first time:

I think these will be the carriages that make up my official opening train, if I ever get enough time and decent weather to finish the railway! In the meantime there are one or two little jobs needed to bring this rake up to scratch - some minor repairs, adding "Buffet Car" signs, and turning the roof round on the brake - judging by the lamp tops it currently has a very well lit luggage compartment...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Excellent work Andrew! The Gladstone Coach looks great, and fits into the rake really well :D
Cheers Tom

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Lovely coaches. I am intrigured by the seat material in Mr Gladstone's
compartment. What is it please?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello,

Glad you like the carriages. The WHHR's restored buffet and Gladstone carriages feature patterned material in the relevant areas, so I when I built mine I searched dolls house suppliers on the web for something suitable - I found some lovely stuff but it was very expensive. My wife observed that ties often have small repeated patterns, so that's what I used. This one and the one used in the first class compartment of my FfR compo (further up the thread) both belonged to my late father. It was my Dad who instilled in me a love of railways - he also had a love of nice ties, so this seemed like a fitting tribute! If you don't have a handy stash (Mum has kept Dad's for nearly 30 years!) then ties are usually available very cheaply in charity shops, you just need to trawl around for suitable patterns.

Cheers,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:44 pm

That is a lovely rake of coaches, must get round to building a Pickering brake myself, I've got a drawing but I can't seem to bring myself to get round to it
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:46 am

Good tip about the ties for pattened material. I will check out the local charity shops.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 am

laalratty:96383 wrote:That is a lovely rake of coaches, must get round to building a Pickering brake myself, I've got a drawing but I can't seem to bring myself to get round to it
It was a nice one to build - square windows, and not too many of 'em! Watch the drawings though, the 7mm Association ones aren't quite right - in particular the beading above the buffer beams should be higher than it is on the sides, which would've looked better and given room for the coupling to sit more comfortably. Fortunately there are several decent photos of the ends - it's just a shame I looked at them after I'd built my model!

Andrew.

Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Colinjamesporter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi Andrew,
Ive been enjoying reading about your railway and the rolling stock you have been building. Hope you dont mind me asking which paint do you use for the coaches (green and red) ? It looks an exact match for the prototypes up at the Ffestiniog. I'm currently building one of I P engineerings welsh highland coaches but having trouble finding a sutible colour match.
Look forward to further updates about your railway.
Best wishes
Colin

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Hello Colin,

I use Revell Matt 48 for the green and Matt 37 for the red on FfR carriages - I reckon it gives the impression of a season or two out in the elements rather than "ex works".

Glad you're enjoying the railway updates - looks like you're local so drop me a pm if you fancy dropping by to see progress (or lack of!) for yourself sometime. Nothing much will happen for a couple of weeks, two very busy weekends coming up, but I'm aiming to get the basic line complete by the end of May...

All the best,

Andrew.

Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Colinjamesporter » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:23 am

Hello Andrew,
Thank you for the help with the paint colours. I will be buying some later today. Thank you for the offer of popping over to see the railway. I will take you up on it at some point. Just have to find out what im working over the next month or so then I will PM you if thats ok.?
Best wishes
Colin

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:00 am

More pics please :shock:
Last edited by kandnwlr on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:01 am

That looks like a fine line-up. Can´t wait to see what you build next. :D

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Colinjamesporter:100036 wrote:Hello Andrew,
Thank you for the help with the paint colours. I will be buying some later today. Thank you for the offer of popping over to see the railway. I will take you up on it at some point. Just have to find out what im working over the next month or so then I will PM you if thats ok.?
Best wishes
Colin
No problem, you'll be welcome any time. There's not a great deal to see as yet, but I'm getting there...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:54 pm

kandnwlr:100037 wrote:More pics please  :shock:
There's not a lot to photograph on the rolling stock front at the mo', just my half started WHR summer car, but work seems to have ground to a halt in that... Just bought Superbiker's Bachman caboose though (for the children, honest!) and that'll have a quick makeover, and MdeC's inpsired me to dig out my Swift Sixteen GPV, so perhaps there'll be more to report soon-ish...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Andrew:100073 wrote: There's not a lot to photograph on the rolling stock front at the mo'...
Well it's a good job I didn't hang out with any heroin dealers as a teenager, I'm such a sucker for peer pressure... Since yesterday's confession that not much is happening on the rolling stock front, in response to a request for photos, I've got moving on all three projects I mentioned in that post.

The summer car gained some window-framing at lunchtime (it's in my doomed "workshop" at work), and this evening the caboose has had some windows cut in its cupola and the GPV is underway...

Still no photos, but I'll sort some soonish... Unless the weather clears up and I can get back out in the garden of course...

Cheers,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:36 am

Andrew:100097 wrote:
Andrew:100073 wrote: There's not a lot to photograph on the rolling stock front at the mo'...
Well it's a good job I didn't hang out with any heroin dealers as a teenager, I'm such a sucker for peer pressure... Since yesterday's confession that not much is happening on the rolling stock front, in response to a request for photos, I've got moving on all three projects I mentioned in that post.

The summer car gained some window-framing at lunchtime (it's in my doomed "workshop" at work), and this evening the caboose has had some windows cut in its cupola and the GPV is underway...

Still no photos, but I'll sort some soonish... Unless the weather clears up and I can get back out in the garden of course...

Cheers,

Andrew.
We´ll be watching this space :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm

I've rediscovered the pleasure I get from disappearing for half an hour at lunchtimes to tinker with carriage construction - and so, as promised, here's a progress report.

I've not done a great deal, just finished one side of a "semi-open" summer car:

Don't look too closely, my inability to measure accurately seems to be getting worse!

The other side looks like this:

The bits where there's an extra layer are where the half-height doors are, in the other bits you can see the recesses where the glazing will slide in - there'll be an inner layer too to finish the job, but that's waiting until I know how high up the floor will come, which is waiting until I decide on and purchase some bogies.

The more I scratchbuild the more I realise that it must be paying someone else to think about all these little problems that is part of what you're splashing out on when you buy a kit... As it is the thinking falls to me, and occupies my mind far too much of the time, leading me to wonder - in darker moments - whether I shouldn't be using my limited brain capacity on something more worthwhile. But, in the absence of even the foggiest idea of how to cure cancer or bring about world peace, next week I shall start work on the other side.

The original plan was to build two of these, one open and one semi-open but, as I construct more of my line and realise just how short of space my loops and sidings are, I've decided that one of these lengthy beasties will probably be enough for now...

Cheers,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu May 01, 2014 8:52 pm

They look nice, must admit I've spent many an hour musing over dimensions and heights and wondering if I've got them right. A couple of times I've decided I've got them wrong only when the coach was finished, leading to some "interesting" re-working! Having a good drawing helps, as does having similar rolling stock with the same dimensions that you can look back on (admittedly this is only useful when you've built a few coaches anyway....)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."