(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:47 am

Hi all,

I haven't shared my work on this forum before, but I always like to see other people's so thought I'd post mine.

This is my latest carriage which I've just finished. It follows my usual plywood and wood strip technique and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out - of course it helps that the real thing's such a characterful little carriage.

I've already built a couple of Bug Boxes and now need an FfR bogie carriage to complete a typical 1920s WHR train. Don't think I'm up to all the curved windows and beading on one of those though so I'm bracing myself to cough up for a Triassic kit...

All the best,

Andrew.

Last edited by Andrew on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Post by WVLR » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Very nice indeed, what did you use for the roof, it looks great.
Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Nice one, you've made a good job on that :)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Impressive modelling, I hope I can achive such standards one day!
Thanks
Jack

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Glad you like it - just need to build some more track so I can give the thing a proper run now!

WVLR - the roof's covered with an old cottom T-shirt, glued on with waterproof PVA, primed, and then painted with enamel. The painting has the curious effect of raising up lots of little bobbles in the fibre, but I used dilute black paint all over the top (to represent soot from the locos) and rubbed that in fairly vigorously with a bit of rag which smoothed it all out a bit. The overall effect's kind of rough and worn without looking like it's on its last legs. Well, I hope that's how it looks...

All the best,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:10 am

Hi all,

The weekend saw me complete the latest rolling stock for the (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland, a pair of WD D Class bogie wagons for the Beddgelert coal traffic. They've got wooden bodies with bogies and strapping etc from Andel and have been sitting about for months waiting for me to add the finishing touches, most notably weathering the ironwork using Real Rust powder. That went well in places, less so in others, still a lot a of practice required there I think.

I may post more photos when the weather improves - I've not seen too many "works photos" in which the subject is partially buried in a snowdrift!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 am

Those look terrific. I would say you've got the rust spot-on.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 am

That looks fantastic! :D

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Keith S:79591 wrote:Those look terrific. I would say you've got the rust spot-on.
Kind of you to say so. In truth, that's probably the better side of the better wagon nearest the camera. It seemed to be a case of "all or nothing", lots of rust (too thick in places) or almost none, even in bits I did several times. I think my method of application was a bit hit and miss - I'll try to find some very fine mesh or maybe a lirttle puffer to apply the filings with, and perhaps use clear matt varnish rather than water to create the initial bond - it should allow more precision. I'm sufficiently encouraged to try again, but will perhaps practice on some scraps first...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Well, by all means do something different if you don't think that is good enough, but in the picture it looks very good. You say it's real "rust powder"?  Did you weather the boards with an alcohol wash of some kind? They look good too. I wasn't thinking of getting a M.O.D. wagon; now I am.

The balcony/brake coach is nice too. At this point I am not doing anything more sophisticated than IP engineering kits for my rolling stock: I think you're doing a good job with yours.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Your bogie wagons look very good, and the weathering/rust effect looks the part.

Chris Cairns.

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 pm

The rust is excellent! How do you use the powders? I have heard of them before but never understood how they are used!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Keith S:79610 wrote: Did you weather the boards with an alcohol wash of some kind?

The balcony/brake coach is nice too. At this point I am not doing anything more sophisticated than IP engineering kits for my rolling stock: I think you're doing a good job with yours.
Hello again,

The inside of the wagon is weathered with a vinegar and wire wool solution (stick 'em in an old tub, leave for a week or so, paint it on) although I've since seen a different method on here which I liked and might try in future, think it's in the reference section? The sides and ends feature three layers sandwiched together so that the inner and outer layers can have individual planks This worked especially well on the unpainted inside but the effect was almost lost when I added thinned black paint to represent coal dust. Oh well...

Before I stuck the strapping on the outside was primed and painted, then attacked with fine sandpaper to get the worn look. The wagon nearest the camera had several planks masked to recreate the look of replacement planks that I'd seen in a photo of the real things at Dinas. I nearly forgot to mask the insides too...

Nothing wrong with kits! These wagons are mostly kit-built, I'm using an old IMP kit as the basis for a Gladstone Car build at the moment and am about to start turning an IP freelance carriage into a mini Ffestiniog "bowsider"...

All the best,

Andrew.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm

All very nice work and those old wooden and rusty wagons a re right up my street. Nice one.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 am

Steven.T:79629 wrote:The rust is excellent! How do you use the powders? I have heard of them before but never understood how they are used!
Hello - glad you like the rust.

The Real Rust is basically a bag of very fine iron filings, more like iron dust - you stick it to your "metal" and then add vinegar to activate it. Mine came from Hogs Hill Works and had excellent instructions courtesy of Steve Tompson who sadly died recently. He mentioned 4 methods, one of which involved sprinkling the filings onto wet paint, and another (the one I used) involving applying water (with a little washing up liquid) for the rust powder to adhere to. Can't remember the other two... As I said, it worked OK for me in places, less so in others - I need to practice a little more but I think it's got a lot of potential. Steve suggested spraying the vinegar which might work well - I think sometimes I was brushing the filings away or moving them around instead of activating them, resulting in thick crusty rust in some places and none at all in others. I'm planning to build some slate wagons and a bow-sided bridge in the coming months, both of which projects would benefit from a little rust...

If you fancy trying it I think Busybodies sell it, and I'm sure there are other suppliers too.

All the best,

Andrew.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Does all this use of vinegar result in your wagons being a little smelly? I like the smell of vinegar on chips but not necessarily if it's omni-present in the hobby room!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am

Keith S:79693 wrote:Does all this use of vinegar result in your wagons being a little smelly? I like the smell of vinegar on chips but not necessarily if it's omni-present in the hobby room!
I'm not sure of the chemistry but there's certainly a sulpherous smell in the air when the vinegar's applied to the iron filings... I've got a cold at the moment but I gave my wagons as big a sniff as I was able (got very odd looks from the kids) and couldn't detect a vinegary whiff. But perhaps they're like creosoted sleepers and will only release their aroma under the blazing sun of a high summer's day, in which case in August the afternoon goods is going to smell like a chip shop...

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Pair them with a smokey bacon brake van, and all will be well.... :lol:
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi all,

Having finished Van 2 I fancied trying to complete my Ffestiniog rake - for now, that is, I've got plans for another couple of bugboxes, Van 4 or 5, etc etc. The original plan was to save for a Triassic kit for carriage 15/16, but running my WHR stock over the first section of my new garden line was enough to make me realise that something that long just isn't going to work for me at the moment. So I needed a stop gap (until I'm hugely wealthy and can buy a small estate), which is where this IP kit comes in.

The idea is that I'll "Ffest" it up, with modifications to the balconies and a coat of green paint. I've already started by moving the bogies inwards, and raising the corresponding sections of floor, a feature of the real things. The two end compartments have reduced headroom as a result - in the inner ones the raised section ends under the seats so it's not an issue. For that reason one of these will be designated first class - the two third class compartments that adjoin each other have had the partition reduced in height to create a longer saloon as per (some of?) the originals.

I did have plans to mess about with it further, adding a tumblehome to make it a "bowsider" and altering the panelling so that the door handles sit in the right place. When I opened the kit I found that the wood was thicker than I'd envisaged, so I've dropped those ideas in favoutr of an easy life.

I think the finished carriage will become "number 14" - the original was a 4-wheeler but I'll rewrite history so it becomes a prototype for the later carriages 15-20 instead. It would make a sort of sense that such a vehicle would be shorter than those that followed I guess...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Hello again,

"No 14", my Ffestification of an IP kit, is coming together relatively quickly (for me), and is almost ready for painting. The photo shows the altered balcony, with the step added, a new bufferbeam and railing, vac pipes etc, also modifications to the end compartment where the floor is higher - I've changed the beading on the door to suit. The next jobs are a little more priming, a few more details, and then a coat or two of paint...

Cheers,

Andrew.