(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 01, 2016 4:51 pm

ge_rik:117788 wrote: Your really subtle weathering really adds to their look. I really must get around to weathering my passenger stock and you've given me inspiration.
Happy to oblige! I went to town a bit on these two, because the livery I originally applied looked more like BR crimson and cream than the L&Y style livery that the NWNGR used at one point. Slopping a chocolate brown all over it and then wiping it off again brought the colour scheme closer to what I was looking for as well as adding a patina.

Usually I restrict carriage weathering to some rust and gunge on the underframe, light grime on the lower sides, slightly heavier grime on the lower ends, some soot on the roof and, as previously noted, a little sanding on the foot boards...

Good luck with your weathering project - your carriages are lovely, take it easy!

Andrew.

PS Nearly forgot to mention my personal golden rule - only apply weathering in natural light!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 01, 2016 4:57 pm

TTHLRMatt:117794 wrote:Now we have our own laser cutter running (I think I first mentioned it when we got it over a year ago so it shows how long we have taken with it), I will certainly be keen to have a go at cutting one.
No problem, I'll pm you when the drawings are ready - they need some tweaking... Even then my guess is that they'll probably not be ideal choice to practice on - they're my first attempt at CAD, and it shows! The fact that we discussed it a year ago is also an indication of how long I've taken over the project! I amazed myself today by getting making substantial progress on a project really quickly... Wonders will never cease - update on my railway thread when I've taken some photos...

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Andrew,
Any chance you could tell me the source of the dimensions for the NWNGR 4 wheelers?
Cheers,

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:03 pm

JMORG wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 am Hi Andrew,
Any chance you could tell me the source of the dimensions for the NWNGR 4 wheelers?
Cheers,
Oops, sorry, I've only just seen this, over a year late!

I'll try to remember where the drawings are from - I think I may have used various sources, but then largely made them up using the only photo of them and scaling my drawings against ones of the adjacent single Fairlie... If I can remember how to do it I need to fettle my CAD drawings a little - you're welcome to those if uyou've got access to a laser cutter?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello again,

As part of my return to the world of railway modelling I decided to start with some half-finished projects, beginning with a pair of WHR coal wagons that have languished on a shelf for a couple of years.

Here's how they turned out, starting with the side with the doors in:
Coal wagons 1.jpg
Coal wagons 1.jpg (498.29 KiB) Viewed 5112 times

Coal wagons 2.jpg
Coal wagons 2.jpg (332.17 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
And the other side...
Coal wagons 3.jpg
Coal wagons 3.jpg (338.17 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
They're based on the photos that Hubert Wheeller took of wagons 3 and 12 in 1935, including some differences in strapping detail and condition - number 3 seemed to look particularly tired, a look I've tried to recreate... The wagons have yet to enter service, but I'm looking forward to running them with my Baldwin...

I've already broken my own "finish what I've started" rule by embarking on a new rolling stock project. In theory anything new should be queuing up behind finishing a tender for my Regner loco and completing a Hudson toastrack carriage (possibly started nearly ten years ago!) but I got an idea in my head, had a little time on my hands while waiting in for a carpet fitter, and one thing lead to another - specifically this pile of slate wag(g)on bodies:
Slate wagons 1.jpg
Slate wagons 1.jpg (337.09 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
They're based on the Ffestiniog 2 ton design, like Coopercraft used to make, built with slightly over scale plastic section to make them nice and strong. The next step will be to add Binnie running gear to one to test how well they work... Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:32 pm

It will be good to see your Baldwin running as you did a nice mod on the cab I believe?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:21 pm

I've already broken my own "finish what I've started" rule by embarking on a new rolling stock project. In theory anything new should be queuing up behind finishing a tender for my Regner loco and completing a Hudson toastrack carriage (possibly started nearly ten years ago!) but I got an idea in my head, had a little time on my hands while waiting in for a carpet fitter, and one thing lead to another - specifically this pile of slate wag(g)on bodies:

Cheers,

Andrew.
Andrew, I suspect you're in good company on this matter. I have several projects on the go and often put one down, unfinished, to resume on another, or, as you've done start a new one! I have four coaches I started repainting, but that hasn't stopped me from starting some wagon builds and spending time planning my garden line.

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 pm

I am guilty of having unfinished projects as well.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:01 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:32 pm It will be good to see your Baldwin running as you did a nice mod on the cab I believe?
I'll have to work out where the transmitter is, and hope that the batteries on that and the receiver can still hold a charge! Maybe sometime this week, or next...

The cab mod is just a laser-cut kit to make it look more like the WHR's 590 - I've added numbers and taken off the lamps too. It still requires vacuum brakes and a little weathering to complete the job. Arrrgh!!! Another half-finished project!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Good afternoon!

Last night I added Binnie running gear to the first of my new Ffestiniog slate wagons, so thought I'd better give it a test run this evening. I didn't use the whole line, just a part of Penlan Bank, but it seemed to work pretty well, even without adding any weight. Propelling's a bit hit and miss with these little wagons, I think they could all do with additional weight.

It was a little overcast in the garden, and the unpainted all white wagon didn't photograph terribly well, but you get the idea:
Slate wagon test run 1.jpg
Slate wagon test run 1.jpg (339.31 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
Slate wagon test run 2.jpg
Slate wagon test run 2.jpg (263.02 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
I'll probably add some detail to this one and give it a quick coat of paint, just to see how it looks, then I'll go back and do the other 4 before finishing them all off with numbers and some weathering...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:02 am

They look great Andrew. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Do you have any plans to sell them, or are they just for your own use.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi Rod,

Glad you like the wagons. The wooden bodied ones I made a few years ago, with the iron slate wagon being the current project. I'm building 5, which are all to make up the numbers in my WHR/FR slate train, so there won't be any spare to sell.

That said, I'm always wondering "what if" regarding making a little extra cash to fund my hobby, so I confess I have given it some thought. The problem is that although the materials are cheap (about £7 I think, as I mentioned elsewhere), and although these wagons have been much quicker to make than other projects I've worked on, they still take a fair old while - I don't really have that much time to spare, and if I did they'd have to cost £20-£25 each I think to make it worthwhile. But... They're really simple to make, so I'd be happy to do a step-by-step guide on here at some point if folk are interested...

This morning I added a little detail to the one wagon that's on its wheels, mostly "nail art" jewels to represent rivets - rather overscale, but they really add character. Then it was a quick spray with some primer and the first one's almost complete:
Painted slate wagon.jpg
Painted slate wagon.jpg (283.67 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
I'll need to order a few more Binnie bits and bobs, then I'll finish off the other 4 too...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Glad you are back with us Andrew and in full production!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:12 am

Will you please do a step by step with photos Andrew, with the bits needed and all. The price you would charge I think would be ok, mainly because they look 10 times better than most of the kits you can get now.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:14 am

Ps. Love the rivets……… :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 am

Andrew wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:30 pm
That said, I'm always wondering "what if" regarding making a little extra cash to fund my hobby, so I confess I have given it some thought.
My advice is don't, unless you find you need money to keep food on the table ........

I became involved in the commercial side of the hobby as a manufacturer in HO scale back in the '80s and it came very close to destroying model railways as a hobby for me. I even took up building glass case ship models for a while to keep myself sane.

It wasn't until we wound the company up, that I slowly got back into modelling trains as a hobby.

Regards,
Graeme

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:16 pm

I know several people (including myself) who can vouch for Graeme. Mixing personal life and work is (in my opinion) disastrous for both. I've found using manual machines and hand tools to be better than CAD and Additive Manufacturing in the hobby. As a result, my printer hasn't been used in over 6 months!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Yes, I think you're right - I spend too much time making (and thinking about making) models as it is, I don't think anyone would really benefit from me doing any more of it, least of all me...

Very happy to describe the slate wagon build though, just give me a while to get hold of some of the materials which I've run out of...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:23 am

Hi Andrew,

Will be looking forward to your photo’s of the build with lots of anticipation :thumbright: :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi all,

Another two slate wagons reached the "nearly ready" stage after work this afternoon. Would've been sooner, but I dropped them on the floor and had to glue the axleboxes back onto one of them. I was pleased to note that the bodywork survived the fall unscathed, although I don't plan to make a four-foot drop a regular part of my testing routine...

Two more slate wagons.jpg
Two more slate wagons.jpg (335.59 KiB) Viewed 6397 times

I'm progressing with the "step-by-step" one too, should have that done soon, next week maybe...

Cheers,

Andrew.