(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:20 pm Andrew, I have found my Binnie drawing of the bolster wagon, it might be some help to you?.....
Lovely, thanks Peter! Mine appear to be too short, but that adds little chunkiness which I quite like...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Hello again,

I've added the strapping now. I quickly realised that I wasn't going to get anywhere with the brass strip provided (painting would've been tricky too), so have substituted plastic strip, fixed down with glue and good old Peco track pins:

Bolster 3.jpg
Bolster 3.jpg (167.24 KiB) Viewed 5689 times

The swiveling part of the bolster itself sits a little high due to some modifications I made to ensure that they would move freely, but I think they'll look OK painted and with a load perched on top.

Adding the rivets in the axleguards caused more drama when I found that they fouled my new, larger, wheels - everything had to come out again for modification. I'm fairly sure there's a reason that most 16mm manufacturers don't use MDF axleguards, but after much tweaking I seem to have got the wheels running pretty freely for now...

Further detailing and painting next...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Your additional detailing has made an enormous difference, they don't look like the same kit.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:11 am

They are certainly unique and well built.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi all,

Nearly there with the bolsters:

Bolster 4.jpg
Bolster 4.jpg (163.09 KiB) Viewed 5593 times

They're not fantastically accurate, more a kind of pastiche of the real thing, but they'll do. They await the addition of numberplates (on order) and chains (purchased from an eBay craft supplier), then a little weathering and they'll be done - then it's on to the next project...

In addition to this load of sawn timber (also awaiting chains), I've prepared a log load too - those are a little longer and will require the use of a slate wagon as a match truck.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Andrew, looking good, a nice addition to any railway.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Looking good Andrew! Need to find a load for mine now...
IMG-20200423-WA0029_resize_26~2.jpg
IMG-20200423-WA0029_resize_26~2.jpg (248.1 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
Slate slab waggon. Not sure if the NWNGR had any but most likely!
IMG-20200420-WA0012_resize_12~2.jpg
IMG-20200420-WA0012_resize_12~2.jpg (157.77 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
Finished ex WD D wagon, ready to deliver coal to Beddgelert...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:20 am

They are looking SUPERB Andrew. Can't wait to see the train in action...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi Andrew,

That WD D is absolutely beautiful. Do you know if that the same as the wagon that used to lie in the station area back in the late 60's/early 70's on a short length of track?

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 pm

I can't claim any credit for the D Class, that's JMORG's - lovely though, isn't it?!

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:00 am

Thanks both,

Andrew, what station was this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:14 am

Hi JMORG,

I'm pretty sure it was Beddgellert. It would have been a couple of years either side of 1970. I was only a kid but I vividly remember being on holiday in the area. We went up Snowdon on the train that year (Dad managed to blag us a seat in the front with the Guard!). One of my clearest memories is driving down the Aberglaslyn Pass and seeing the disused trackbed, particularly that girder bridge over the Glaslyn. We called in at one of the station sites and there was at least one bogie open wagon (possibly two now I think about it) sitting on a very short length of track. the front wheelset of one was off the road. THere was some rail stacked alongside, I remember because I tried to persuade my parents to use a length across a sleeper to lever the wheelset back on to the track - I watched far too many Westerns as a kid! The other thing I clearly remember was that the station throat ended in a deep cutting which led down to a fairly short but very wet tunnel. I've never travelled on the rebuilt Welsh Highland (in fact I don't think I've revisited that part of North Wales since then!) so I really don't know the geography of the line but this tunnel ought to pinpoint where it is.

Andrew

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:43 am

Soar Valley Light wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:14 am Hi JMORG,

I'm pretty sure it was Beddgellert. It would have been a couple of years either side of 1970. I was only a kid but I vividly remember being on holiday in the area. We went up Snowdon on the train that year (Dad managed to blag us a seat in the front with the Guard!). One of my clearest memories is driving down the Aberglaslyn Pass and seeing the disused trackbed, particularly that girder bridge over the Glaslyn. We called in at one of the station sites and there was at least one bogie open wagon (possibly two now I think about it) sitting on a very short length of track. the front wheelset of one was off the road. THere was some rail stacked alongside, I remember because I tried to persuade my parents to use a length across a sleeper to lever the wheelset back on to the track - I watched far too many Westerns as a kid! The other thing I clearly remember was that the station throat ended in a deep cutting which led down to a fairly short but very wet tunnel. I've never travelled on the rebuilt Welsh Highland (in fact I don't think I've revisited that part of North Wales since then!) so I really don't know the geography of the line but this tunnel ought to pinpoint where it is.

Andrew
That's quite interesting! From what I can work out, the 64 company (now WHHR) did place some ex-Croesor tramway rail at the station as well as some "wagons" (not sure what type, looks like some ex-RAF wagons similar to the D type) to let the locals know of their intentions. Not sure what happened to the wagons but I know the rail got stolen! It would've been useless anyway as it was light tramway T-rail unsuitable for locomotives.
Looking at their current wagon list it looks like they only have the steel sided "Locoal" types. It is possible that the ones you saw rotted away if they were of the wooden "Bocoal" type.
It is well worth a visit! North Wales is currently working towards getting UNESCO status for the slate industry. The F&WHR is also currently developing plans for a new station at Blaenau and possibly an extension to Llechwedd quarry tours.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:49 pm

I remember the rail was fairly small section. The wagons were definitely wooden bodied.

Andrew

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:20 pm

Catching up on this thread and (no offense to anyone else!) I must say, it's rare to see this sort of quality, and quantity in a fleet of rollingstock.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat May 02, 2020 8:21 pm

Well that's very kind of you, thank you...

I can only take some of the credit, because JMORG also showcases his Welsh Highland stock here, and I think we've had some of River Lin's and Peter's in the past too, so both quality and quantity are a team effort! Glad you like it though - I must admit, I like to scroll back through to remind myself of what I've been up to.

All the best,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 03, 2020 8:06 am

Just catching up with this thread. I think this is a great example of one of the forum's strengths - the sharing of ideas and supportive viewpoints. Also good to see the quality of modelling inherent in our membership.

Love the additional detailing you've added, Andrew.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun May 03, 2020 10:57 am

I think it's a good way to showcase different methods of construction and finish for the same piece of stock. For example, Andrew and myself both have FR van 10/2 (not sure what it's called now) and carriage 23. Andrews is finished as per the 20's whereas mine are "as preserved" in order to run them with the K1 and NGG16.
The freight stock is another good comparison, as there are no reliable information on wagon construction details or livery (even pictures are scarce). The freight stock is thus quite varied in details, I've tried to keep mine as more "in-keeping" and paint them in NWNGR livery to get away with it.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 03, 2020 7:28 pm

JMORG, we must try to run our combined WHR fleet together at some point - you must be only a few junctions up the M5 from me?

Still, combining them virtually is better for social distancing!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Afternoon all!

The bolsters are now weathered, numbered and ready to roll - and one of the pleasures of working from home is the chance to do that over lunch!

Here are the empty bolsters heading up to the timber yard at Penlan:

Bolster 5.jpg
Bolster 5.jpg (174.58 KiB) Viewed 5731 times

And heading back down, loaded with sawn timber:

Bolster 6.jpg
Bolster 6.jpg (184 KiB) Viewed 5731 times

The next trip was for some logs, longer than before, so requiring a slate wagon to act as a match truck:

Bolster 7.jpg
Bolster 7.jpg (235.43 KiB) Viewed 5731 times

I'm pleased to report that the test was a success - for such light vehicles they ran pretty well.

I've got a few maintenance tasks to complete now, then it's on to something completely different...

Cheers,

Andrew.