(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:54 pm

kandnwlr:100037 wrote:More pics please  :shock:
There's not a lot to photograph on the rolling stock front at the mo', just my half started WHR summer car, but work seems to have ground to a halt in that... Just bought Superbiker's Bachman caboose though (for the children, honest!) and that'll have a quick makeover, and MdeC's inpsired me to dig out my Swift Sixteen GPV, so perhaps there'll be more to report soon-ish...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Andrew:100073 wrote: There's not a lot to photograph on the rolling stock front at the mo'...
Well it's a good job I didn't hang out with any heroin dealers as a teenager, I'm such a sucker for peer pressure... Since yesterday's confession that not much is happening on the rolling stock front, in response to a request for photos, I've got moving on all three projects I mentioned in that post.

The summer car gained some window-framing at lunchtime (it's in my doomed "workshop" at work), and this evening the caboose has had some windows cut in its cupola and the GPV is underway...

Still no photos, but I'll sort some soonish... Unless the weather clears up and I can get back out in the garden of course...

Cheers,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:36 am

Andrew:100097 wrote:
Andrew:100073 wrote: There's not a lot to photograph on the rolling stock front at the mo'...
Well it's a good job I didn't hang out with any heroin dealers as a teenager, I'm such a sucker for peer pressure... Since yesterday's confession that not much is happening on the rolling stock front, in response to a request for photos, I've got moving on all three projects I mentioned in that post.

The summer car gained some window-framing at lunchtime (it's in my doomed "workshop" at work), and this evening the caboose has had some windows cut in its cupola and the GPV is underway...

Still no photos, but I'll sort some soonish... Unless the weather clears up and I can get back out in the garden of course...

Cheers,

Andrew.
We´ll be watching this space :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm

I've rediscovered the pleasure I get from disappearing for half an hour at lunchtimes to tinker with carriage construction - and so, as promised, here's a progress report.

I've not done a great deal, just finished one side of a "semi-open" summer car:

Don't look too closely, my inability to measure accurately seems to be getting worse!

The other side looks like this:

The bits where there's an extra layer are where the half-height doors are, in the other bits you can see the recesses where the glazing will slide in - there'll be an inner layer too to finish the job, but that's waiting until I know how high up the floor will come, which is waiting until I decide on and purchase some bogies.

The more I scratchbuild the more I realise that it must be paying someone else to think about all these little problems that is part of what you're splashing out on when you buy a kit... As it is the thinking falls to me, and occupies my mind far too much of the time, leading me to wonder - in darker moments - whether I shouldn't be using my limited brain capacity on something more worthwhile. But, in the absence of even the foggiest idea of how to cure cancer or bring about world peace, next week I shall start work on the other side.

The original plan was to build two of these, one open and one semi-open but, as I construct more of my line and realise just how short of space my loops and sidings are, I've decided that one of these lengthy beasties will probably be enough for now...

Cheers,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu May 01, 2014 8:52 pm

They look nice, must admit I've spent many an hour musing over dimensions and heights and wondering if I've got them right. A couple of times I've decided I've got them wrong only when the coach was finished, leading to some "interesting" re-working! Having a good drawing helps, as does having similar rolling stock with the same dimensions that you can look back on (admittedly this is only useful when you've built a few coaches anyway....)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 01, 2014 11:24 pm

Andrew, I so agree about the 'thinking time' involved in scratch building, but for me that is the key to solving the problems encountered in producing something unique and by your own hand.
Paying someone else to think for me is not my idea of personal achievement!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Peter Butler:100219 wrote:but for me that is the key to solving the problems encountered in producing something unique and by your own hand.
Nicely put, thank you! And thinking about how to order the layers where ends meet sides, or how best to model open droplights or whatever does help pass the time in dull meetings...

Steamcoaster
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steamcoaster » Sun May 04, 2014 12:08 pm

I do like the summer coaches. I have one but lost the bogies I made for it. It's over 25 years old now.

I would like to scratch build but lacy the facilitates to shape the timber. I've been looking at the Proxon range of tools to slice and plane the wood.

What's the experience.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 06, 2014 1:12 pm

Steamcoaster:100279 wrote:I do like the summer coaches. I have one but lost the bogies I made for it. It's over 25 years old now.

I would like to scratch build but lacy the facilitates to shape the timber. I've been looking at the Proxon range of tools to slice and plane the wood.

What's the experience.
Sorry, don't know, I've been purchasing all my wood strip ready cut from online sellers, don't know if they'd ship to Australia though...

Beyond that I just use a Stanley knife and a steel rule to cut the various strips and sheets to shape.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Just a quick update with a photo showing my Swift Sixteen GPV approaching completion - although in fairness it was approaching completion as soon as it hit the doormat it's that simple to build.

Here it is in plain black awaiting dirtying up like MdeC's recent example. Can't find my wire wool to turn into rust at the moment, may have to go and buy some tomorrow...

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed May 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Fantastic work on everything! That IP carriage looks VERY convincing! :)
Where do you get your transfers from? I'm looking for some Col. Stephenson "Class Plaques" and I can never seem to find them :(
Keep up the good work!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed May 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Gonna get myself one of those gunpowder waggons .... :shock:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 28, 2014 6:26 pm

JMORG:101114 wrote: Where do you get your transfers from? I'm looking for some Col. Stephenson "Class Plaques" and I can never seem to find them :(
Glad you like the carriages... The class thingies and most other FfR transfers are from David Bailey - http://www.davidbaileydesign.co.uk/trans.html - quite pricey, but good quality, hope that helps?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 28, 2014 8:58 pm

kandnwlr:101125 wrote:Gonna get myself one of those gunpowder waggons .... :shock:
Yep, they're lovely kits.

I'm currently trying to make rust powder to weather it, as per MdeC's post here. My wire wool is bobbing about in a bleach solution, and it's gone a bit rusty, and the liquid's gone black, but that's about it, no magic rust powder to streak all over my GPV... Any chemists out there who can tell me where I've gone wrong?! Not enough bleach?

Cheers!

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:20 pm

It's been a while since I added anything to this thread, but then it's been a while since I did much in the way of rolling stock construction. With the winter closing in however various projects have started to move forwards.

First up is WHR van 4 - like the real thing, mine will be a conversion of an FR quarrymen's carriage, in my case a Brandbright kit that's sat in the cupboard for a couple of years.

The first job was to cut new ends with windows in, using photocopies of the original parts to get the size right:

The original ends were too thick to cut easily so I've used thinner wood and included extra layers (the ones with the bigger holes in) to house glazing material. I haven't cut the bottom edges yet until I know how high the couplings are going to sit.

Here's the real thing at Beddgelert:

I'll need to add that strip round the bottom and the vent, as well as  recreating the tangle of brakes, but it should otherwise be a case of putting the kit together as per the instructions. It might even be a relatively quick job...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:32 pm

some very nice work in this thread, makes me think I should build something else, mind you I did have an excuse as a lot was done in the garden this summer.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Hello,

My Brandbright-based model of WHR Van 4 continues to progress nicely - here it is in primer, having had its various modifications carried out and awaiting painting:

I'm pretty pleased with it so far, particularly after my wife described it as looking "jaunty". Like a beach-hut on wheels perhaps? The topcoat will be the same vermilion as the Gladstone car received, continuing the jaunty vibe...

Cheers,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Andrew:105165 wrote:Hello,

My Brandbright-based model of WHR Van 4 continues to progress nicely - here it is in primer, having had its various modifications carried out and awaiting painting:

I'm pretty pleased with it so far, particularly after my wife described it as looking "jaunty". Like a beach-hut on wheels perhaps? The topcoat will be the same vermilion as the Gladstone car received, continuing the jaunty vibe...

Cheers,

Andrew.
Very nice. Hope to see the next stage here soon :D

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Hello again,

I've been able to do a little more work on my "jaunty" Welsh Highland (ex Ffestiniog...) brake - the outside is now complete, ready for work to commence on the interior. Here's what it looked like this afternoon...

The inside will need a little work - end windows cutting in the original Brandbright linings, a handbrake plus vacuum and air brake controls, plus a guard - more photos in due course...

All the best,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Evening all!

I don't seem to have had much to say for myself lately, but thought you might be interested to see what I've been up to in the last few weeks.

I thought I'd try to teach myself CAD, so downloaded some DraftSight software began working through the manual with a view to getting some laser cutting done. It's been a slow process, but I hope I'm getting there! Here's my first project, a version of the 3 NWNGR 4-wheelers - I'm basing the dimensions on the one photo that exists of them and the few dimensions recorded by Boyd, probably based on the same photo:

I'm working on the insides now, then it's off to the cutter... I'll let you know how I get on...

Cheers,

Andrew