(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:00 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:17 pm That there Lego is fancy stuff compared to what was available in my days.
Nothing too fancy - just two bricks (a single stud and a thin 2x1 with a single bobble in the middle) that were available when I got into Lego in the early 80s, plus some plasticard bits.

When I built the grey open in the second picture I used a single stud with a hole in and pressed a bearing into it to recreate the distinctive NWNGR/WHR axleguards, see 20 or so pages back in the thread. I liked how it looked, so repeated it when I needed to do it again, but this one was OK as a dummy, so I just used a plain brick.

Luckily, my son's 16 now, so he wasn't too put out that I pinched his Lego!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:30 pm

Afternoon all,

There's no rapid progress to report but I have been plodding on with a couple more WHR slate wagons. One is a slightly modified Binnie kit, the other's a scratch build to represent a wagon of the all metal type that appear once in a makers photo but then take a backseat (at least as far as photographers are concerned) until one puts in an appearance (minus it's body) on the demolition trains that tore up the track in the 40s.

Here they are:
IMG_20220313_131522835.jpg
IMG_20220313_131522835.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2569 times
The white one looks more complete than it really is - the other side doesn't exist yet because I've run out of plastic strip, the dummy running gear is just propped in place (with a piece of sea glass that just happened to be handy...) and I've yet to start on the complicated-looking brake gear. On the plus side, I'm going to paint it all black, so that bit should be quick!

Cheers,

Andrew

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:30 am

Another interesting and unusual prototype, I never knew there were any all-metal slate wagons on the WHR. I'd image they were more expensive than their timber-framed counterparts, and therefore far less common? That was the way with sugar cane wagons down here, anyway.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:33 am

It is a very smart wagon and beautifully made too, a fine addition to the fleet.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:50 pm

Glad you like the work so far...

It seems that this type of wagon was unusual on the NWNGR/WHR - most wagons were either all wood, or had iron bodies on wooden chassis.

If anyone's interested there are articles on WHR slate wagons here: https://www.welshhighlandheritage.co.uk ... -No-72.pdf (for the "box" type) and here: https://www.welshhighlandheritage.co.uk ... -No-74.pdf (for the "crate" type).

Reading those will reveal that I'm creating an impression rather than making accurate models (the Binnie wagon should be wider, and the scratchbuilt one narrower, for example), but nonetheless I should end up with a rake that looks the part, with a rake of various types and in an assortment of sizes, with identifiably NWNGR characteristics and a family "look" to them...

Aaron, as I recall, the relative costs of metal and wooden wagons are discussed in the article - I think I've read somewhere (possibly in the attached articles) that the quarries preferred wooden wagons, because they were kinder to the slate, but the railways preferred metal ones, which required less maintenance.

I may make some more progress this evening - riveting, I think...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:33 pm

Slow progress here, but I'm getting there with the two new slate wagons.

The Binnie one has now had brake gear added and received a coat of paint. It just neds weathering before it can enter traffic.

The other one, the iron-bodied one, is also much nearer completion. I finished adding bits earlier in the week and have been looking for an opportunity to spray paint it. The rain's stopped, and it's a little warmer, but there's a vicious wind howling around now - if I spray in my usual spot in the front drive, the paint will end up over the neighbours' car!

For now, here's a picture of the wagon's underside, which may be of interest, because it shows (some of) the Lego running gear:

NWNGR iron slate wagon underside.jpg
NWNGR iron slate wagon underside.jpg (202.44 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

I had considered building the whole underframe from Lego, but the geometry didn't really work. The axles go into roller bearings pushed (well, hammered) into the holes in the Lego parts (masked for painting in this view), two of which I've omitted for clarity. The ability to take the wheels on and off so easily has been an unplanned bonus during construction - I don't think I'll bother gluing the Lego parts together to retain that ability.

The brake gear was a bit of a challenge, because the real wagon seemed to feature brake bands (as I think they're called), rather than brake blocks. I've represented these with slices of a tube that contains vitamin C pills. The tube still has some in, it's just a little shorter than it was before...

Photos of the finished thing at the weekend, maybe?!

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:57 pm

I can't believe the detail you've included there. Can't wait to see the finished item!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 am

Nicely thought out and built wagon this Andrew. Would they by gaugeable wheels by any chance.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:05 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 am Nicely thought out and built wagon this Andrew. Would they by gaugeable wheels by any chance.
Hi Rod!

Yes, they'll just be Cambrian wheels on 2mm rod for axles, so in theory they can be set to any guage you fancy.

The Lego's just for the axleguards - it seemed like a good option for this wagon, partly because I had the bits available, but mostly because it meant that I could make dummy representations of the real axleboxes, far less complicated than making them actually work!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:09 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:57 pm I can't believe the detail you've included there
I'm glad you approve, thanks, but actually that's just a lot of bits of plastic pretending to be detail! If you scaled up that brake rigging, it wouldn't work do anything at all - I couldn't really work out what was going on with the real thing, so I represented it as best I could on the grounds that no-one will notice when it's all painted black...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:18 am

Andrew wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:09 am
‘…but actually that's just a lot of bits of plastic pretending to be detail!…’
Nicely done (and explained). That’s exactly my approach too: ‘Simplify and suggest plausibility’.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:47 pm

Nicely done!
I'm surprised the Lego pieces are sufficiently well snapped together for prolonged use, considering each is only attached by two studs. I suppose it just shows how well engineered Lego is!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:22 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:47 pm Nicely done!
I'm surprised the Lego pieces are sufficiently well snapped together for prolonged use, considering each is only attached by two studs. I suppose it just shows how well engineered Lego is!
That's the difference between proper Lego and cheapo knock-offs. Lego really is wonderful stuff...

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:10 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:22 pm

That's the difference between proper Lego and cheapo knock-offs. Lego really is wonderful stuff...
You on commission?? :roll: :lol:
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:00 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:10 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:22 pm

You on commission?? :roll: :lol:
Ja, kammeraters takster gælder, hvis du bestiller mere end £1000...

Which is (possibly) Danish for yes, mates rates apply for orders over £1000...

The latest wagon's now painted, was just about to sit down at the kitchen table to letter it when my daughters appeared to make some dinner before they go out. Later, maybe...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:03 pm

Hi all,

Yesterday evening I finished (for now, at least) the two latest slate wagons, and here they are:

Finished slate wagons 29 and 32 A.jpg
Finished slate wagons 29 and 32 A.jpg (201.64 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
Finished slate wagons 29 and 32 B.jpg
Finished slate wagons 29 and 32 B.jpg (207.7 KiB) Viewed 2589 times

I now have 12 traditional "crate" type slate wagons (9 FR and 3 WHR) - I think I can feel an England-hauled slate train coming on over the long weekend...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:19 pm

I do like them a lot Andrew. Have you 3D printed the brake handles.?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:22 pm

I also like the way you have roughed up the sides of the wagon, really authentic I think anyway. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:28 pm

Very nice Andrew, they look like they have earned their keep over the years.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:35 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:19 pm I do like them a lot Andrew. Have you 3D printed the brake handles.?
Hi Rod,

No, they're just cut from plastic sheet - fiddly, and not my favourite job, but they turned out OK. I currently have no 3D printing skills or equipment. One day, maybe...

Cheers,

Andrew