(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Phil.P » Sat May 07, 2022 10:42 am

Faded maroon, with dirty-great white spots, perchance?

:shock:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat May 07, 2022 3:28 pm

Faded blue/green I reckon. Can't go wrong with extra variety on the narrow gauge.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun May 08, 2022 11:24 am

Would it be possible to do a varnished wood livery?

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sun May 08, 2022 6:06 pm

Now if only I had taken some photos.. :dontknow:

There were two very nice NWNGR coach bodies, where I was on Saturday..
Varnished, made from real Teak.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 13, 2022 9:15 am

Morning all,

Not much time for modelling this week but, in a brief update, I knocked up a corrugated roof for the van, just to see how it would look. I liked it, so I'm going down the "shed on wheels" route, and I'll paint the thing either sky blue or pea green. With or without spots.

I really like the varnished wood idea, but perhaps a little posh for this little van, and I don't know how well it would work in MDF? I do like the idea of varnished teak carriages at some point though, either a freelance rake (balconied saloons, or really ancient looking 4-wheelers, maybe?) or the NWNGR Cleminsons you mention Phil, although I seriously doubt my ability to build a 6 wheel underframe that stays on the rails!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:32 pm

Further progress with the Padarn van, which I'm now trying to finish before my PDF Kerr Stuart body kit arrives.

I'd said I wasn't sure whether to paint it sky blue:

Pardarn van Blue.jpg
Pardarn van Blue.jpg (103.02 KiB) Viewed 2341 times

Or pea green:

Padarn van Green.jpg
Padarn van Green.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 2341 times

So I went for both! Blue first, then green, sanded back so that both show, in an effort to replicate peeling paintwork where the colour beneath is showing through:

Padarn van blue and green.jpg
Padarn van blue and green.jpg (136.49 KiB) Viewed 2341 times

And here are all the bits, weathered and awaiting assembly, including a corrugated roof, which isn't a feature of the original but which I though added to the garden shed vibes:

Padarn van awaiting assembly.jpg
Padarn van awaiting assembly.jpg (163.17 KiB) Viewed 2341 times

It's currently sitting on the kitchen table, with bands clamping the roof in place while the glue dries. Having added a brake wheel, I'd better also add the brakes themselves, but other than that I think it's ready to go...

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:38 pm

Very nice peeling paint effect Andrew, looks the part!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:21 pm

Yes, I agree with Peter, it does look excellent. Your weathering finishes always amaze me. :D
The inside looks a bit pristine though... all that slate dust and fag smoke ought to have toned it down a bit!
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:49 pm

philipy wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:21 pm The inside looks a bit pristine though... all that slate dust and fag smoke ought to have toned it down a bit!
Ah, yes, you're right. Too late now, the roof's glued on, but it doesn't look too shiny in the gloomy unlit interior. I did stick some notices to the walls to add a little detail. It doesn't look like a very inspiring place to work, I'm afraid, rather like one of those little booths that guard the entrance to car parks, but at least the little chap inside gets to enjoy the scenery trundling past.

I'm glad you like the overall effect. Part of me wishes I'd gone a little more bright and cheerful, instead of washed out and grimy, but a leopard can't change his spots - I guess I'm just a washed out and grimy kinda guy!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:33 pm

Looking very good Andrew. I can't wait to see it all put together. Will your brake gear be scratch built, or do you used purchased items?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm

Be interested to see the corrugated roof

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:22 am

Always love your work Andrew. Don't know why, but you always seem to do the weathering just right. I have done my first real weathering attempt on a Binnie tipper. I must put it on here for you to look at. Anne likes it, but I think it looks rubbish......

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:07 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:33 pm Will your brake gear be scratch built, or do you used purchased items?
I scratchbuild it, but it's greatly simplified, just an impression really, so that the eye sees something between the wheels and the brain thinks "ah, that must be brake gear"... I thought I'd posted a picture somewhere, but I can't find it so I'll take another...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm Be interested to see the corrugated roof
It's that rusty thing in the foreground of the last picture! It's a sheet of corrugated sheet from Bole Lasercraft, heated in boiling water and bent to shape, or at least near enough to shape to allow me to glue it on... Pictures of the finished van by the end of the week, I hope!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:13 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:22 am Always love your work Andrew. Don't know why, but you always seem to do the weathering just right. I have done my first real weathering attempt on a Binnie tipper. I must put it on here for you to look at. Anne likes it, but I think it looks rubbish......
Thanks Rod, much appreciated. Weathering tippers is hard, I think, I'm not entirely pleased with mine. I prefer wood, because you can get stuck in with th sandpaper...

There are always things we wish we'd done better, but - for what it's worth - my top tips for weathering are to look at lots of pictures of the real thing, only weather in natural light, and be prepared to experiment. I disregard all of them sometimes, but those are often the times where things don't turn out as I'd hoped...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:55 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am
ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm Be interested to see the corrugated roof
It's that rusty thing in the foreground of the last picture! It's a sheet of corrugated sheet from Bole Lasercraft, heated in boiling water and bent to shape, or at least near enough to shape to allow me to glue it on... Pictures of the finished van by the end of the week, I hope!
So obvious when you point it out. I like the rusting effect. Iron filings and vinegar?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:52 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:55 am
So obvious when you point it out. I like the rusting effect. Iron filings and vinegar?
Thanks Rik!

It's iron filings (the finest I could find) and copper suplate solution, which seems to produce a more orangey rust than vinegar. I tried to replicate the way that the rust seems to spread along the "troughs" in corrugated iron first.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:08 pm

Hello all!

I've been quiet for a while, partly because not much has been going on, but also because my old phone was playing up, making posting pictures difficult.

Here's a quick summary of some rolling stock projects...

Ffestiniog Van 4's been in progress for a long time now, but is getting there. I've recently added lettering, beading around the windows, door handles and grab rails, footboards, and some light weathering. It's had a coat of varnish, so now I think the exterior is complete. Droplights, interior sides, interior painting, glazing, and detailing with figures etc to go now. That will take place over the winter so that the carriage can enter service next Spring.

Van 4 - 4.jpg
Van 4 - 4.jpg (224.32 KiB) Viewed 2423 times

I ought to be focusing on finishing that, but I came across an "H Jones Engineering" kit for the FR's Goods Van 116 (or 99, as it's known these days) and couldn't resist. It's only £40, which includes running gear and fantastic replicas of the little couplings used on FR goods stock. I'll be constructing it in my own idiosyncratic way, including overlaying individual planks etc, but here's what it looked like when I opened the box:

Van 116 - A.jpg
Van 116 - A.jpg (231.99 KiB) Viewed 2423 times

Shockingly, even for me, I got distracted from my distraction. I had the house to myself yesterday evening, and - with no competing demands on the kitchen table - I got stuck into another project - Wagon on a Work Night! Regular readers of this thread may recall that, a while back, I decided to see if I could build a WHR guards van in a weekend. I got off to a good start but the project eventually took at least 6 months to complete, so last night I tried again, this time with a Ffestiniog iron-bodied coal wagon.

At five o 'clock-ish I started with some photos, some sheets of plasticard, and a new blade in my Stanley knife:

Iron coal wagon 1.jpg
Iron coal wagon 1.jpg (173.53 KiB) Viewed 2423 times

And, by 10 o'clock, I had this:

Iron coal wagon 2.jpg
Iron coal wagon 2.jpg (202.87 KiB) Viewed 2423 times

Not quite finished, but it's got wheels, and couplings, and so I could take it for a spin around the garden, so I'm calling that a success! I'll continue this evening with some more detail... It's a case of "more haste, less speed" really, because this morning someone contacted me with the actual dimensions of the wagon. I'd guesstimated them from phots, with the result that my version's a little big all over, but better over-scale than under, I always reckon...

More progress as it happens...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:54 pm

Looks good to me Andrew, no-one else would notice the difference I'm sure.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:27 pm

I agree with Peter, it does look good so far. As for the size, it looks OK alongside the coal wagon behind.
Philip