(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi Andrew.
Beautiful coach. You certainly know how to make a new built coach look how it should on a working railway. We both seem to enjoy building NWNG stock but have different ends as my stock looks to be new straight from the workshop whilst yours look 'lived in'.

What do you cover your roofs with. I like my cream roofs but want to cover them with a 16mm to the foot 'canvas', not something that looks 300mm to the foot bed sheet? Or does that look ok?

David
David T.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:48 pm

For 'canvas' covered roof effects I use a fine weave curtain lining material. It doesn't fluff up and takes paint without any problems.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi all,

Glad you like it! Yes, a little wear and tear on the footboards is a favourite trick of mine - there's something about it that feels like it has to have been made by the passage of little feet and makes the thing seem more real as a result.

David, yes, I do like 'em "lived in", although I wasn't planning much in the way of weathering on this one. I get the impression that these carriages were relatively well looked after - they seem to have be repainted fairly regularly, I think they were kept inside the carriage shed out of season, and Colonel Stephens employed carriage cleaners. I possibly got a little carried away, but I'm pleased with the result, it looks "right" sitting out in the garden. I'd go with Peter's advice re roof canvas - I've tried a variety of materials including old sheets, old T shirts and cotton specially purchased for the job, but find that some of them fluff when paint is applied - the problem is I can't remember which ones!

All the best,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello again,

Over the last couple of evenings I managed to finish off the two NWNGR four wheelers that I've been working on for a while - and here they are:

And an interior view - I'll have to add some figures at some point, and some leather straps for the droplights:

They're sitting in the garden as I type because I'd hoped to run a train to test them out later this afternoon. Instead some last minute visitors have decided to join us this evening and stay the night, so I'll be tidying and bed-making instead of playing trains...

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:07 pm

They look great Andrew, very realistic looking...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi Andrew,

Wow, they are lovely!

I can be a bit indifferent when it comes to small 'boxy' four wheelers but when they are of a standard like this I think they are just super. Great work.

Thanks for sharing the pics,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:13 pm

I agree too, those little four-wheelers look just the job.... nice and comfortable with the hint of neglect and lack of maintenance, perfect!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 am

I'll second what has been said above Andrew, beautiful job, and meant in the nicest way, they look like they were built quite some time ago.
Grant.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:50 am

Hi Andrew,
Lovely looking carriages! Where did you get the details of these carriages from? I've been struggling to find decent pictures of NWNGR stock.
I'm hoping to make some NWNGR stock. At the moment I'm building a Gladstone (IP) and I'm also drawing up a Pickering carriage for eventual laser cutting.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Glad you like 'em folks... "A hint of neglect" was pretty much the look I was going for - in my revision of history, instead of being scrapped in 1897 they were shunted to the back of Dinas carriage shed as stores vehicles, only to be hauled out and patched up for use on the Clarach branch 30 years later. Rumour has it that, if I peer a little deeper into the gloom if the shed, not only will I find the third of the trio, but also some further, similar, vehicles hitherto unknown about... I'd better head back to the laser cutting studio...

JMORG, there are drawing of these carriages in the 7mm NG Association, and also by John Angell in the files section of the 16mm Yahoo group (under cardboard carriages). I looked at both but in the end drew up my own using the one known photo of the carriages (they're coupled to a Vulcan Fairlie so I could compare with a drawing of one of those) and the few measurements estimated by Boyd. Boyd, the 7mm book and the Rockett one al have NWNGR drawings in, all with what appear to be discrepancies! Check out photos to get the beading on the ends of your Pickering right - I didn't!

I need to tidy my CAD drawings them a little further but then plan to make them freely available to anyone who wants to use 'em, so if you'd like to laser cut yourself some of these you'd be welcome to them.      

The carriages are all away in their boxes now while I concentrate on getting the railway running and looking well. On the rolling stock front that might mean patching up the poor battered MOTTLITTs- the Manky Old Trucks That Live In The Tunnel...

Cheers,

Andrew.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:41 pm

I rather like the 'not too clean' look on NG models. My memory of the old Isle of Man Railway before Nationalisation was that the carriages were cleaned, but not clean. I would imagine that most of the old NG railways were like that when money got tight.

Cracking little models of a half-forgotten prototype, btw.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi Andrew,
I've mostly used the works photo for the Pickering carriage along with a photo of Russell at Beddgelert to help with the duckets. Apart from the duckets the Rocket drawing seems about right.
Depending on how the Pickering goes I might finish with an Ashbury corridor. That'll give a scale looking train with either Moel Tryfan or a regular visitors Russell...
For now though I've been progressing with FR van 6 (the Quarrymens brake) and I have van 2/10 to build, giving us 2 FR rakes (Victorian and Col. Stephens liveries) to run on our exhibition layout with both my Fairlie and our Angus James Spooner...

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:05 pm

Peter Butler:117531 wrote:For 'canvas' covered roof effects I use a fine weave curtain lining material.  It doesn't fluff up and takes paint without any problems.
I have been known to use flour sacks, but liberating those from the Missus can be a little difficult as they are apparently useful for something vitally important and wool related.  Usually I have to settle for tissue, which just is not the same.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Last edited by IrishPeter on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Those coaches look brilliant. Your really subtle weathering really adds to their look. I really must get around to weathering my passenger stock and you've given me inspiration. Thanks

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Those look stunning Andrew! Now we have our own laser cutter running (I think I first mentioned it when we got it over a year ago so it shows how long we have taken with it), I will certainly be keen to have a go at cutting one.
I am currently experimenting with engraving settings, seeing if I can do tabbing without cutting right through the wood.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 01, 2016 4:51 pm

ge_rik:117788 wrote: Your really subtle weathering really adds to their look. I really must get around to weathering my passenger stock and you've given me inspiration.
Happy to oblige! I went to town a bit on these two, because the livery I originally applied looked more like BR crimson and cream than the L&Y style livery that the NWNGR used at one point. Slopping a chocolate brown all over it and then wiping it off again brought the colour scheme closer to what I was looking for as well as adding a patina.

Usually I restrict carriage weathering to some rust and gunge on the underframe, light grime on the lower sides, slightly heavier grime on the lower ends, some soot on the roof and, as previously noted, a little sanding on the foot boards...

Good luck with your weathering project - your carriages are lovely, take it easy!

Andrew.

PS Nearly forgot to mention my personal golden rule - only apply weathering in natural light!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 01, 2016 4:57 pm

TTHLRMatt:117794 wrote:Now we have our own laser cutter running (I think I first mentioned it when we got it over a year ago so it shows how long we have taken with it), I will certainly be keen to have a go at cutting one.
No problem, I'll pm you when the drawings are ready - they need some tweaking... Even then my guess is that they'll probably not be ideal choice to practice on - they're my first attempt at CAD, and it shows! The fact that we discussed it a year ago is also an indication of how long I've taken over the project! I amazed myself today by getting making substantial progress on a project really quickly... Wonders will never cease - update on my railway thread when I've taken some photos...

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Andrew,
Any chance you could tell me the source of the dimensions for the NWNGR 4 wheelers?
Cheers,

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:03 pm

JMORG wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 am Hi Andrew,
Any chance you could tell me the source of the dimensions for the NWNGR 4 wheelers?
Cheers,
Oops, sorry, I've only just seen this, over a year late!

I'll try to remember where the drawings are from - I think I may have used various sources, but then largely made them up using the only photo of them and scaling my drawings against ones of the adjacent single Fairlie... If I can remember how to do it I need to fettle my CAD drawings a little - you're welcome to those if uyou've got access to a laser cutter?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello again,

As part of my return to the world of railway modelling I decided to start with some half-finished projects, beginning with a pair of WHR coal wagons that have languished on a shelf for a couple of years.

Here's how they turned out, starting with the side with the doors in:
Coal wagons 1.jpg
Coal wagons 1.jpg (498.29 KiB) Viewed 5113 times

Coal wagons 2.jpg
Coal wagons 2.jpg (332.17 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
And the other side...
Coal wagons 3.jpg
Coal wagons 3.jpg (338.17 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
They're based on the photos that Hubert Wheeller took of wagons 3 and 12 in 1935, including some differences in strapping detail and condition - number 3 seemed to look particularly tired, a look I've tried to recreate... The wagons have yet to enter service, but I'm looking forward to running them with my Baldwin...

I've already broken my own "finish what I've started" rule by embarking on a new rolling stock project. In theory anything new should be queuing up behind finishing a tender for my Regner loco and completing a Hudson toastrack carriage (possibly started nearly ten years ago!) but I got an idea in my head, had a little time on my hands while waiting in for a carpet fitter, and one thing lead to another - specifically this pile of slate wag(g)on bodies:
Slate wagons 1.jpg
Slate wagons 1.jpg (337.09 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
They're based on the Ffestiniog 2 ton design, like Coopercraft used to make, built with slightly over scale plastic section to make them nice and strong. The next step will be to add Binnie running gear to one to test how well they work... Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Andrew.