(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by JMORG » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:04 am

Looks excellent Andrew! Despite being MDF mr Sharples does make some good stuff! I'm making two of his Simplex locomotives at the moment and they're very easy and well thought out!
I have a Slater's Ashbury being painted for a group member, I'm basing it off of yours (but using NWNGR red). FRHG are doing a series on liveries at the moment so it'll be interesting if they do anything on the red livery.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:23 am

Morning all,

They seem to be getting careless down at the carriage works, and had left the "Mystery Carriage" poking out of the shed this morning:

Obs 3.jpg
Obs 3.jpg (74.18 KiB) Viewed 4217 times

There's clearly progress being made, but something's not quite right... Those windows are the right size and shape for Welsh Highland carriages - but they're in the wrong order! Is that why the works staff are being so secretive? Are they just embarrassed because they've misread the plans?!

More news as I get it...

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:38 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:23 am Are they just embarrassed because they've misread the plans?!
Dunno, but if they've got enough muscle to stretch that laccy band right round the coach, then I ain't asking! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:06 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:38 pm
Andrew wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:23 am Are they just embarrassed because they've misread the plans?!
Dunno, but if they've got enough muscle to stretch that laccy band right round the coach, then I ain't asking! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep, that's why I've never dared to venture into the shed!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:28 am

It's a miracle they got it poking out of the shed, it's very close to the top of the door frame.... :roll:
Bit of magic done there one feels hey Andrew.. :lol: :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:28 am It's a miracle they got it poking out of the shed, it's very close to the top of the door frame.... :roll:
Yeah, it's almost like whoever made the shed knocked it up in a hurry and didn't allow for the height of the track?! Let's hope they don't want to put any lamp fittings on the roof!

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:01 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am Yeah, it's almost like whoever made the shed knocked it up in a hurry and didn't allow for the height of the track?! Let's hope they don't want to put any lamp fittings on the roof!
Now that's an all-too-familiar mistake on my part..

Wouldn't have a clue about Welsh rollingstock, but I'm enjoying watching the tale of the "Mystery Coach" unfold. Those coal trucks look just right, too.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:16 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am
FWLR wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:28 am It's a miracle they got it poking out of the shed, it's very close to the top of the door frame.... :roll:
Yeah, it's almost like whoever made the shed knocked it up in a hurry and didn't allow for the height of the track?! Let's hope they don't want to put any lamp fittings on the roof!
................................... :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:30 pm

Hello!

It's the last day of my Christmas break, which has been fantastic - railway-wise, I didn't get quite as much done as I'd thought I might, but I was please with these wagon loads:

Wagon loads.jpg
Wagon loads.jpg (265.72 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
They're part of my plan for more realistic goods operation, and are simply expanded foam cut to shape and with suitable loads glued on top - each has a screw in the top to enable them to be removed with a magnet. The five coal loads are complete, but I ran out of gravel for the bogie open granite load. The other three granite loads are for my next wagon project - the cart before the horse! The bare white one is for another load I've just remembered was carried by the WHR, details to follow...

The C&W team seem to have been busy too (no Christmas leave for them!) and appear to have completed matchboarding the "Mystery Carriage" - perhaps we can expect a test run soon? After they've mended the shed door, of course...

Obs 4.jpg
Obs 4.jpg (128.97 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

Cheers all,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:44 pm

Thats looking very neat Andrew. My breath is bated!
Philip

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:57 pm

Loving those wagon loads and the fact they can be easily swapped about utilising the wagons full potential as per prototype. I used bath sponges, 35p from a local Pound Shop. I just nip the top to remove them. Here's an I.P. WD open wagon with a load of sand, which is actually not sand! I just carved the sponge with scissors then slapped on some Humbrol Brick Red. I have coal and gravel loads made the same way but with pink and white sponges! Posh.
IMG_20210104_174652.jpg
IMG_20210104_174652.jpg (776.79 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
IMG_20210104_174734.jpg
IMG_20210104_174734.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3809 times
Love the very teasing view of the new coach too, partly hidden by the shed door!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Andrew,

Those wagons look fantastic! The bogie open looks exactly the way I remember the one (two?) lying at Beddgelert in the late sixties. The loads look incredibly realistic and 'fill' the wagons 'properly' (i.e. no gap between the load and the wagon side) It's a great step toward realistic operations.

Pippindo,

That sand load looks more realistic than real sand! I'm so impressed. There isn't much call for sand traffic on my line but I'm going to have to invent a building project somewhere along the way to justify having one myself - always assuming I can come somewhere close to replicating your excellent example.

Great work fellas.

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:11 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 pm
The loads look incredibly realistic and 'fill' the wagons 'properly' (i.e. no gap between the load and the wagon side)
Ah. That's very kind of you, but the apparent lack of a gap is largely down to camera angle - some of the loads are quite "gappy"! Painting the edges of the blocks helps though - and the gaps make it easier to take them in and out, which I'm keen on...

The glue's drying on the last load, photo soon...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:47 am

I like the ridges on the sand load. Adds to the realism.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:08 am

Your matchboard coach is looking really superb Andrew, a job I like doing myself has you have seen with some of my builds. There is a certain relaxation about using matchboard for models that is something which is mostly rewarding when you sit back and say to yourself,

"I made that" :)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:42 pm

Hello!

As promised, here's an update - if this looks like a load of cr*p, then I've got it about right:

Wagon loads 2.jpg
Wagon loads 2.jpg (110.51 KiB) Viewed 4364 times

A little research showed that back in pre-preservation days the Welsh Highland sometimes used to carry manure - which I've (hopefully!) replicated with a compost/PVA mixture and some old brush bristles.

I'd assumed that manure would have been being transported from the local farms to fertilise barren city parks and flowerbeds, but it seems it was the other way round - cities, full of horse-drawn carts etc, were desperate to get rid of the stuff. I'd thought too that it would have travelled in sacks, but it appears that mineral wagons, like this one, were used, much more fun to model!

For now I've completed my ultra low-cost (no cost!) wagon load project with a tool to retrieve the loads - the end of a magnetic dart that came with a kids' dartboard, glued into a length of garden cane:

Wagon load 3.jpg
Wagon load 3.jpg (87.78 KiB) Viewed 4364 times

Poo sticks, anyone???

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:53 pm

I'm going to have to produce something similar for the Boneworks. For some reason, they also collected piles of manure as well as carcases. Maybe it was something to do with the production of fertiliser??

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Looks so convincing I can smell it from here!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:30 pm

Puts a whole new aspect to the term 'train movements'!

Fantastic stuff Andrew and very effective too.

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 am

Fantastic idea Andrew. :goodpost

So much can be achieved with a little bit of imagination. It's getting to be a lost art.... :roll: