(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by JMORG » Sat May 22, 2021 10:44 am

Look forward to seeing this one Andrew! The two vans are actually VERY different in not only details but size as well.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat May 22, 2021 11:24 am

JMORG wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:44 am The two vans are actually VERY different in not only details but size as well.
I'm using Bernard Rocket's drawings for overall dimensions, but not the detail, which appears to be pretty inaccurate - just had to redraw the windows, for example. I hope it comes out ok...

Glue's currently drying on the ends, planking next, but I'd better get some other stuff done. The sun's just come out too...

Thanks for the tip re transfers, by the way, I might give that a go. How many (WHR) wagons will a sheet do?

Andrew

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat May 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Here's a (heavily doctored) photo of the sheet. Obviously it's missing a few transfers.
IMG_20210522_135738.jpg
IMG_20210522_135738.jpg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 3476 times
If you contact Tom, he'll have this saved somewhere. This is my second sheet from him.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 23, 2021 11:38 am

Thanks JMORG!

So, a day or so later, and it's taking shape...

IMG_20210523_113303383.jpg
IMG_20210523_113303383.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 3427 times

Still rather rustic looking, but getting there. I hope to be able to add the uprights that are so distinctive later, but we'll see - I may have run out of a) time, and b) suitably sized stripwood. I'll see if I can find s little of both...

Cheers,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 23, 2021 1:00 pm

Those pencil lines make it look like a brick built.... house!
You are doing a grand job in between your housework.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 23, 2021 5:24 pm

Time's up!

Not quite a Wagon in a Weekend, but a good start, I reckon... I'll probably put this one a way for a while now while I finish off some other projects...

IMG_20210523_172204767.jpg
IMG_20210523_172204767.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 3407 times

Cheers,

Andrew

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 am

Hell of a lot more than I'd get done in a weekend! Wonderful work, that.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 24, 2021 8:55 am

You and I are pretty much the same when it comes to how long it takes to build something Andrew. But does it really matter how long it takes, it's how you think it looks at the end of it is all that really matters and if it takes 3 or 4 weeks or months and your'e happy with it. I am when I finish mine to an extent, so carry on mate and I do like the way you build yours with wood, you can't really beat it for me.

One little tip of you want it Andrew. If you want your planks to look like they are different lengths, try to score them vertically without going through them, you will be surprised how well they turn out and they do look like they leave a more natural look. You can use a flat screwdriver and give it a tap with a light hammer.....

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 24, 2021 9:43 am

FWLR wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:55 am One little tip of you want it Andrew. If you want your planks to look like they are different lengths, try to score them vertically without going through them, you will be surprised how well they turn out and they do look like they leave a more natural look. You can use a flat screwdriver and give it a tap with a light hammer.....
Thanks Rod!

It's funny that you and Philip both mentioned the pencil lines - I think they're just there from some previous marking up on the sheet of ply I used. I like to cut and add individual planks, but there's no point in doing that if all the grain ends up matching again, so once I've cut the planks I muddle them up and stick them on in a different order - so that random line that just happened to be on the ply has ended up looking like bricks or breaks in the planking! It'll all be painted over in the end...

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:24 pm Time's up!

Not quite a Wagon in a Weekend, but a good start, I reckon... I'll probably put this one a way for a while now while I finish off some other projects...

IMG_20210523_172204767.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew
In the nicest possible way Andrew - shouldn't there be a chicken or two in the windows? :lol: I really need to document some of my freelance scratchbuilds. This thread (which I have only just read in it's entirety) is an inspiration - Thanks to you, Peter B and J Morg.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:53 am

I keep forgetting I started that, then when I did about in the cupboard looking for something else I come across it and think "ooh, there's a Welsh Highland brake van..." I'm leaving it until I can (hopefully) finish it in one go.

Glad you've enjoyed the thread. I must admit, I sometimes look back through to remind myself what I've done over the years, it's a little like keeping a diary, but I've never been good at that. Do start a thread for your projects, I love reading about what others are up to...

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:54 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:53 am I keep forgetting I started that, then when I did about in the cupboard looking for something else I come across it and think "ooh, there's a Welsh Highland brake van..." I'm leaving it until I can (hopefully) finish it in one go.

Glad you've enjoyed the thread. I must admit, I sometimes look back through to remind myself what I've done over the years, it's a little like keeping a diary, but I've never been good at that. Do start a thread for your projects, I love reading about what others are up to...

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew. I really need to finish the inspectors report first. As my signature says, I'm a bit sporadic! :oops:
Phil

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:52 pm

Afternoon all,

Last weekend I finally got round to finishing the three Ffestiniog tipper wagons I've been working on.

You might recall that I decided that these would be a good starting point to develop my 3D drawing skills. In retrospect, that was a little ambitious, but luckily for me the project attracted Philip's attention - he took the ball and ran with it, not only coming up with some beautiful CAD drawings, but also sending me several complete kits of printed parts. Over six months later, here they are:

FR Tippers finished 1.jpg
FR Tippers finished 1.jpg (265.07 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
FR tippers finished 2.jpg
FR tippers finished 2.jpg (215.33 KiB) Viewed 4408 times

I'm really very pleased with how they've turned out - thank you Philip!

In the reimagined history of the (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland Railway these have been "borrowed" from the Ffestiniog to help carry the output of a granite quarry at Penlan.

I've only had a brief test run so far, but they seemed to run very well - I look forward to giving them a longer run soon.

All the best,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Gosh, they do look good.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:54 pm

You have done a superb job of assembling them and the weathering is absolutely spot on on. Congrats!
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:51 pm

Glad to see Philip is helping keep more than one heritage railway running! :lol: :thumbright:
Phil

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:28 am

The "Wagon in a Weekend" project might not quite have lived up to its billing, but nonetheless the WHR brake van is trundling towards the finish line remarkably quickly for one of my projects. Here's where it's at right now:

WHR Van.jpg
WHR Van.jpg (173.85 KiB) Viewed 4220 times

Just weathering, a roof and (maybe) a little internal detailing to do now. Oh, and some lettering, but I think I need to go and buy some glasses first, because I've found that (in line with the optician's prediction) I'm beginning to struggle to see stuff close up.

The van still looks like a chicken shed, but that's OK, because so did the original. And isn't it a curious livery?!

The central panel on the side of the van represents a sliding door on the real thing. I used thinner ply cladding there to try to make it look recessed - I don't think that really worked, it just succeeded in making the planking less apparent - oh well!

Cheers all, have a good day,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:30 am

Interesting build Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:08 pm

A quirky build Andrew, and I feel your pain re. deteriorating vision. My own went downhill in my thirties, and has kept accelerating since! :lol: It's a good job I now need to wear 'aids to vision' all the time, because I wouldn't be able to find them if I took them off!
Phil

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:38 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:28 am The "Wagon in a Weekend" project might not quite have lived up to its billing, but nonetheless the WHR brake van is trundling towards the finish line remarkably quickly for one of my projects. Here's where it's at right now:

WHR Van.jpg

Just weathering, a roof and (maybe) a little internal detailing to do now. Oh, and some lettering, but I think I need to go and buy some glasses first, because I've found that (in line with the optician's prediction) I'm beginning to struggle to see stuff close up.

The van still looks like a chicken shed, but that's OK, because so did the original. And isn't it a curious livery?!

The central panel on the side of the van represents a sliding door on the real thing. I used thinner ply cladding there to try to make it look recessed - I don't think that really worked, it just succeeded in making the planking less apparent - oh well!

Cheers all, have a good day,

Andrew.
Looking good Andrew! Must admit, these vans are rather charming in their own way. The quarryman's conversions are similar in that regard.

I'll try and post some more NWNGR/WHR themed stock in the future. This includes another locomotive.