(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 am

Andrew, stop worrying too much about possible damage to the paint. When you did my wagons the paint was brilliant. The stock is going underneath the house, so long as they are kept dry and no dust or anything of that elk get into the box how can the bubblewrap damage them.

By the way mate here is that train I bought last year and I eventually got the wrapping off, it has been wrapped up again in the bubblewrap it came in...
DSCN3843.JPG
DSCN3843.JPG (483.25 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
DSCN3842.JPG
DSCN3842.JPG (494.07 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
This is it still it's its box...
DSCN3824.JPG
DSCN3824.JPG (480.22 KiB) Viewed 4602 times

And this is a shelf with a few stock on in the garage.
DSCN3844.JPG
DSCN3844.JPG (474.88 KiB) Viewed 4602 times

Don't mean to take over your thread Andrew, I am just showing that if they are dry and kept out of the sun.............

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Ah, so that's what was in the box! That's the same type as the one that's providing the power beneath my chocolate factory Sentinel loco...

Cheers,

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:31 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:13 pm Eeek! Although I'm guessing that was a problem with the paint going soft, rather than the bubblewrap itself -
That's also my opinion, as there is some ropey paint out there nowadays........

Bubble wrap is made from polyethylene and polyethylene film is an archive grade storage material. It doesn't react with much, which is why it is very difficult to get paint to stick to it.

Foam rubber is a different matter, as both natural latex and polyurethane foams are degraded by oxygen if not formulated properly. Keeping it in a dark place doesn't stop the breakdown, as I know to my cost.

Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Hello all,

I found a little time for some modelling this weekend and so dug the tipper trucks out.The rake has now grown to five, with a converter wagon at each end so that loco's don't need multi-height couplings to pull them. Those had a 5mm chunk of foam board added to the ends of the frames, and all of the wagons received buffing plates (I think you'd call them that?) on the ends to cover the gaps in the frames where the couplings used to emerge. Here are two of the wagons, including one of the converter type, on the right:

Tipper test 4.jpg
Tipper test 4.jpg (343.19 KiB) Viewed 4443 times

And here's the rake on test:

Tipper test 3.jpg
Tipper test 3.jpg (384.89 KiB) Viewed 4443 times

It ran pretty well, except one wagon which was a proper Limping Lulu and kept derailing - the problem turned out to be that the axles had been replaced at some point, rather badly. I was able to swap them for those from another wagon, but I'll have to get another pair at some point.

As you might be able to see in the pictures, I distorted the sides a little by heating them with a candle flame and then pushing and prodding them to imitate damage inflicted by hard use, an idea pinched from Rik's blog, I think. The different vintage skips seem to be made of different plastics, so some were easier to work with than others - results were mixed, but I think they'll be OK once they're painted and rusted. That'll happen once the weather warms up (and I've purchased some iron powder) but in the meantime I'll add some nail gem rivets...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:27 am

Looking good, Andrew. Your denting of the sides looks a lot more successful than my efforts. I think it depends on the composition of the plastic.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 am

Very good Andrew, I must get round to doing some skips after all the other jobs that need doing... :lol: :lol:
At the moment I haven't been to good, so they are all on hold.... :(

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello all,

Apologies, for various reasons it's been yonks since I posted on the Forum, but here I am with a little tipper truck progress.

I'd decided that I wanted to add some "nail art" rivet detail to my wagons before painting them - and that a template would be required to make sure that all the rivets ended up roughly correctly-spaced and more-or-less in a straight line. I must confess that I was very pleased with the solution I came up with - the little strip of perforated metal that holds Peco rail-joiners! Here it is, with a skip marked up and ready to go...

Tipper marked for rivets.jpg
Tipper marked for rivets.jpg (260.82 KiB) Viewed 4305 times

I've now added rivets to all five wagons in the initial rake, which are dismantled ready for painting next time some time off coincides with some relatively good weather. I'm going to attempt to simulate rust using fine iron filings, and I think getting that in the right places in the right amounts is going to be tricky so I definitely want to make sure I've got enough time and space to do the job as well as I can...

Here are the wagons awaiting a visit from the spray can...

Tippers ready for painting.jpg
Tippers ready for painting.jpg (288.41 KiB) Viewed 4305 times

Cheers all,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:31 pm

That is an inspired solution to the spacing issue, brilliant!
Philip

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Brilliant idea, I must confess as a serial hoarder I have nearly all those strips in the bottom of my bits box, confident that one day they would find a purpose.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:09 pm

And just when you thought this forum was sleepy and behind the times another great idea emerges :thumbup:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:17 am

Morning all!

Yesterday, I took a stroll down to the shops, passing my local station on the way, where that particular stretch of the Great Western mainline was being relaid. The kit on display was pretty impressive - a shiny new class 70 diesel with a long train of bogie ballast wagons, tampers and other machinery, road/rail diggers etc - but I still felt sorry for the poor chaps in orange who worked all weekend in some horrible weather. They're clearly making better progress than the other big rail maintenance work happening locally, the relaying of the (WH)WHR at Penlan, just a quarter of a mile away, but we'll catch up - the purpose of my stroll was to purchase a tin of Poundland primer to progress my own on-track plant project, the rake of manky tippers...

I've started with just one tipper to see how I get on with a rusting technique involving vinegar and fine iron filings - I've used it before but never been entirely satisfied with the results, we'll see how it goes this time... Here's where I was at yesterday afternoon, with the skip and chassis painted, sprinkled in filings and sprayed with vinegar:
Painted skip with rust powder.jpg
Painted skip with rust powder.jpg (457.96 KiB) Viewed 4733 times

At that stage it just looked like someone had tipped sand over it, but this morning most of the grey filings had gone brown, with some orange appearing in places - promising... I sprayed with more vinegar and we'll see how it looks tonight... By the way, if it's successful this is how I plan to finish the roof of your station building Tom - a little dilapidated rather than completely derelict, but it wouldn't be right if a RWLR building didn't feature at least a little rust!

Cheers all,

Andrew

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 am

That's interesting to see.
After reading the article in this month's Garden Rail I purchased some Binnie Tippers at Leamington on Saturday and was about to order some Iron Powder and Copper Sulphate from Amazon this morning. I'm going to leave the Copper Sulphate and try vinegar instead. I also assume you sprinkled the Iron into the wet paint rather than using an adhesive after it had dried.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 am

Will be very interested in seeing the end result. Looking promising so far.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:41 am

Hello again!

I tried this technique on some scrap plastic a while ago. I got some lovely orange/brown rust, but I'd used "medium" filings and the texture was too coarse. If gone for "fine" this time - there's still some discernible texture, but I'm hoping that will look like pitted metal.

Yes, I'm applying direct to wet paint, doing the inside of the skip first, then turning it over to do the outside without covering the filings on the inside. I'm using a Lidl peppercorn refill pot as a shaker to apply the stuff, I think I might add some finer mesh for future applications, so I can get the stuff where I want it better. I'm diluting the vinegar, c50/50 with water - not quite sure why, I think I read it somewhere!

I'll keep you posted. I'm relatively optimistic but think I'll still want to apply some paint washes/weathering to finish the thing off - the bits that aren't rusty look too clean! Possibly I should have weathered with paint first, then sprinkled the filings over a coat of matt varnish...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:59 pm

So far, so good - I think...

The inside's beginning to look quite pleasing, and the outside's not bad...
Rusty skip 1.jpg
Rusty skip 1.jpg (436.1 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
Rusty skip 2.jpg
Rusty skip 2.jpg (390.04 KiB) Viewed 4698 times

I'd like a little more of the orangey stuff on the outside if possible - I've sprayed some more vinegar and will await further developments...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Hello again,

I seem to have reached "peak vinegar" with this, in that no matter how much I spray on the result doesn't really change. The tipper currently looks like this:
Rusty skip 3.jpg
Rusty skip 3.jpg (382.83 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
I'm fairly pleased with it, but would still like a bit more orange in the rust, so it's currently parked in the damp and dingy tunnel to see what that does... Another option is a light rubbing with fine wire wool - I've just read Rob Bennet's article on rusting skips in the Association Leighton Buzzard guide, and that's what he recommends...

Even if I can't get the colour to change any more, it'll do - this rake was only every supposed to be a quick job. I'll get the rest of 'em done over the coming weeks...

Cheers,

Andrew.

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:11 pm

That's a big improvement from how they started off :thumbright: . Just a thought: you could try a wash of orange/brown paint if you can't get any more rust?
Loving the overgrown track!

George

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:27 pm

steamgeorge wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:11 pm That's a big improvement from how they started off :thumbright: . Just a thought: you could try a wash of orange/brown paint if you can't get any more rust?
Loving the overgrown track!

George
Thanks George! Yes, I think I'll add a wash to some of the bits that are still too clean - I'll probably roughly stencil some numbers on too. Glad you like the track - it's got a little too overgrown, I'll have to trim it before the main running season starts...

I got the first wagon out in the sunshine for a proper look today, and I reckon it's looking alright - the rust tones look really different depending on the light. I think the wire wool rub had some impact too, although I couldn't swear to it...
Rusty skip 4.jpg
Rusty skip 4.jpg (368.21 KiB) Viewed 4497 times

Is anyone getting fed up of looking at this little skip yet? I am, so I decided I'd done enough deliberating and got stuck into the rest of the rake. Here they are, painted (three more grey, one green for a little variety) and sprinkled and awaiting a spray of vinegar...
More skips 1.jpg
More skips 1.jpg (342.06 KiB) Viewed 4497 times

Cheers all,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am

Hello again,

The tippers continue to progress... The first coat of vinegar dried very quickly due to a combination of sunshine and breeze, leaving slightly odd "tide mark" patterns in places. I remembered that Rob Bennet had suggested letting the vinegar dry in a damp environment, so yesterday evening I reapplied the vinegar, put the wagons on the top shelf in the bathroom, and had a hot shower with the windows closed. As you'd expect, I removed my clothes before undertaking this activity - I believe that's known as "glamour modelling"???

Any way. here's a photo - just of the wagons, you'll be pleased to hear, not the process!

More rusty tippers 2.jpg
More rusty tippers 2.jpg (332.88 KiB) Viewed 4428 times

They certainly look as grotty as I'd wanted - with a little more work I hope I can refine the finish a little...

Cheers,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:37 am

Andrew, they are looking well, I like the rust effect, particularly on the green one.
Please don't think I'm being critical but all the way along I've thought the grey ones seem to have a sort of pale metallic green sheen to them. Is that just a photographic artefact?
Philip