Show me your guards vans..

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I do like your stock Williamfj... the items are varied and interesting and the paintwork always crisp and well finished.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Peter Butler:89780 wrote:I do like your stock Williamfj... the items are varied and interesting and the paintwork always crisp and well finished.
Thanks Peter, although I dare say they're a bit bland compared to the magnificent models you produce.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:47 pm

You're too kind!  However, I can put up with that kind of response all day long!!!
It seems you are near York?  If so, did you see the exhibition at the NRM (some ten or more years ago now) which included a model of the 'Far Twittering and Oysterperch Railway' after Rowland Emett?    If so, it was one I designed (the layout, not the exhibition) and was built along with coleagues from the Warley MRC, of which I am still a member. The exhibition was a commemoration of the railway preservation movement and lasted for 6 months.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 pm

I do indeed live in York, although I would only be about 10 when the exhibition took place and if I did see it I don't remember it :(

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 am

On Weighton Bank on the Rylston Light

and under repair:

Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

ruby
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ruby » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello colleagues! I really like guard wagons. Here is my latest work.

Click to see full size image

Mounted lighting of the two LEDs. The quality of the set is very good. The quality of construction could be better.
:oops:

I built earlier Guards wagon PI-based kit. The body and roof made ​​from a sheet of plastic Tamiya.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1006 ... 8890818141

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Very nice, like the extra detail you have added
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

oscillator
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by oscillator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:18 pm

My first brake van was a 16mmscale L&B inspired 4 wheeler built mainly in wood around 1976 when i was still at school. The running gear was hornby gauge O, which had awful very coarse plastic wheels. It was not very free running. The brake van was sold in the early 1980s. Does it still exist?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:14 pm

My first one is on it's second rebuild:

The lamp works and is powered by a CMOS battery located under the wagon (same type of battery you find on a computer motherboard):

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:43 pm

it looks very very oo/ho like

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:09 am

Looking good!

There's something surprisingly lifelike about mid-rebuild photos in the larger scales, even with oversize tools or whatever in the background. Guess it's because our railways feel pretty "real" in the first place...

I was thinking just yesterday that my old Mamod guards van could do with being freshened up - the paintwork's chipped in places and has sucked up stray oil as well (I'm sure there's a more technical term) which might make repainting hard without completely stripping it...

Looking forward to photos of the finished job,

Andrew.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:34 am

Some lovely guards vans just there, liking the many variations.

I have a similar one like this, what is the kit or who is it made by? I have no knowledge of what it is.
TheChestnutLine:49344 wrote:Here's mine :) Also the first kit I built :)

Is it built on a binnie skip chassis? I love this one. How does it run, did you have to add some weight for steady running?
mhlr:27898 wrote:Image

Here is my standard un-weathered andel one.

Here is my scrappy looking van behind my equally scrappy looking wagons and locomotive. This van looks similar to TheChestnutLine's one.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Loving all the guards vans... Nothing wrong with "scrappy", surely that simply means "oozing with narrow gauge charm"?! I recognise the axleboxes on those unidentified vans - there was a range of small wagons that used them about 15 years ago I think. Early IP?

Andrew.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Andrew:92827 wrote:I recognise the axleboxes on those unidentified vans - there was a range of small wagons  that used them about 15 years ago I think. Early IP?
Hi Andrew, Thanks for the reply and help identifying the parts. The chassis on mine seems to have the axle boxes and chassis frames cast into one piece and made in some sort of alloy. That was the part that looked familiar between TheChestnutLine's and my vans.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:55 pm

With most of my rolling stock being Mamod or MSS based I've slowly been building up a collection of other vehicles.

This was a cheap bargain on eBay I picked up (it is built from a kit but I'm unsure of manufacturer).

Since obtaining it I've cleaned & adjusted the wheels, painted the buffer beams red, beefed up the roof girders (it is removeable), fitted an IP Eng working tail light and added a suitable Modeltown figure as an industrial guard.

ace, that is a fair chunk out of your AnDel roof. I dropped my workman's coach recently whilst trying to hold the roof down with elastic bands (using slow setting epoxy). Still glueing up the cracked fittings prior to fitting the roof again - has put me off getting any further models made from this type of resin.

Chris Cairns.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Chris Cairns:92833 wrote:ace, that is a fair chunk out of your AnDel roof. I dropped my workman's coach recently whilst trying to hold the roof down with elastic bands (using slow setting epoxy). Still glueing up the cracked fittings prior to fitting the roof again - has put me off getting any further models made from this type of resin.
Hi Chris, That is a nice guards van you have there. In fact I find it quite inspiring. :)

Yes the roof is awful on this one. When I was building it I used elastic bands to hold the roof on and it cracked and broke right in two down the middle. I then used two weaker elastic bands and glued it all together. The chunk was taken out when the train fell over one day. I have got the piece in my box, but have not yet tried to glue it on. I find this resin plastic doesn't like sticking particularly well with cyanoacrylate. Do you use 2k glue for resin models too? What do you use?

On the other hand I find the wagons are better suited to this resin. It has a nice weight and sound and being made of slightly thicker material  it tends to take the knocks better. Maybe the resin could be reinforced with glass fibre when being made and mixed, it would  certainly be alot stronger.

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Post by WVLR » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:21 pm

that is a fair chunk out of your AnDel roof.
I've had the same problem with a Swift Sixteen brake van, I'm
beginning to think that resin isn't the way to go.

Last edited by WVLR on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:25 pm

WVLR:92843 wrote:I've had the same problem with a Swift Sixteen brake van, I'm beginning to think that resin isn't the way to go.
I suppose wood is better really. I wouldn't have thought resin would lend itself too well to temperature changes all the time, eg inside then outside, hot and cold weather. But that said, they make superb detailed models. :)

Peter L
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Peter L » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm building a relatively stock Andel C&M brake. I do almost all of my modeling during the winter so work is just about to pick up again from where I left if back in March or April. I just picked up a little string of 10 LED Christmas Lights hooked up to a switch and two AA batteries from a dollar star to light it up.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi ace,

Like you I've found super glue is pretty useless with these resin models. I'm building the same Guards Van model and it has already had one knock where one side & one end neatly separated from the chassis without damage. So where it is possible to have it all clamped up I use NHP Epoxy 3 Hour and leave it clamped for up to 2 days. For the cracks around my windows and door frames on the workman's coach I'm using 5 minute epoxy until it is solid enough again to use those clamps (got one roof girder back in place but a door frame needs fixing before the other girder can be clamped in place).

As you say the problem with these 2 kits (Guards Van & Workman's Coach, which are both no longer available) is the resin is rather thin around the windows and door frames and thus very vulnerable to knocks or dropping.

Mike (WVLR),

That is very worrying as I'm actually building the same Swift Sixteen model. Certainly the main body is very thick. Was that damage caused by a roll-over whilst running - I've been considering adding some weight to the chassis to lower the centre of gravity?

Chris Cairns.