Show me your guards vans..

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:19 pm

DVT Dweller wrote:My swift sixteen van, fitted with a handbrake for use on WSMR
Very nice weathering.

My understanding is that the original was actually just a brakeman's shelter (no brake gear), and the extra door was to allow the brakeman to operate the brakes without leaving the shelter whilst it was travelling on the 4' gauge transporter wagon. There is a posting that it was just fitted with a hinged box bench seat but as I did not subscribe to e-mails from that Yahoo group I could not see the photo of the original's interior.

Like your bench seat as well. When I get some free time from my busy 'To Do' list I intend adding a similar bench seat plus brakeman figure to mine.

Chris Cairns.

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:26 am

Chris Cairns:99730 wrote:
DVT Dweller wrote:My swift sixteen van, fitted with a handbrake for use on WSMR
Very nice weathering.

My understanding is that the original was actually just a brakeman's shelter (no brake gear), and the extra door was to allow the brakeman to operate the brakes without leaving the shelter whilst it was travelling on the 4' gauge transporter wagon. There is a posting that it was just fitted with a hinged box bench seat but as I did not subscribe to e-mails from that Yahoo group I could not see the photo of the original's interior.

Like your bench seat as well. When I get some free time from my busy 'To Do' list I intend adding a similar bench seat plus brakeman figure to mine.

Chris Cairns.
Quite correct Chris,

In fact it never even ran on the 2' system, it was just shunted on and off the 4' braked vehicle. I will have a look back through what I've got saved but I think the interior shots are only of the wooden bodied van and not the iron coffin. The original only appears to have the lamp bracket at the non-door end too.

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Steve

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi all.
A little info required. Where would the hand brake stand have been in the guards compartment of the NWNG/WHR Pickering brake composite. Near the centre of the back wall between the windows or elsewhere. I have not seen any documentation of the inside of these bogie vans and neither can it be seen in any photos in Boyd or Johnson books that I can see.
Hope anyone can help.
I hope to have this scratch built coach plus my scratch built buffet car with an IP Gladstone coach running together later in the month behind an accucraft Baldwin.
David
David T.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08 pm

I put mine towards the rear of the brake compartment, can't remember why now though! Don't think I'd seen it in any drawings. I saw in 16mm Today err, today, that Bernard Rocket's just published a book of WHR drawings, maybe that'd be more clear than the other sources, although I'd guess not... Having built FfR Van 2 since the Pickering I'd probably go for the same spot, centrally between the duckets if I recall correctly?

You've made the same "posh" WHR rake as me - 1/3 of the Pickering, 2/3 of the buffet and all of the Gladstone first class - I've got a summer car under construction to redress the balance! My existing rake will form my "official" opening train later in the summer once my line's complete and fettled for passenger trains.

Do post photos of your complete train behind the Baldwin when it's done...

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Here we are at last. The first ever run out of my homebuilt WHR Pickering brake and Buffet coach at a Northamptonshire association group meet this afternoon in Brixworth. Pulled as promised by an Accucraft Baldwin (not mine I'm afraid) with the Gladstone coach bringing up the rear. If it had been a cut downRussell instead of a Baldwin it could have been a good representation of the last train to run on the WHR in august 1936 though 590 (the Baldwin) was also hauling trains during the last week.
D.
David T.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:09 pm

I've added another guards van to my fleet which is contained in the 'Observation Car' conversion recently kit-bashed from a Bachmann carriage to form my 3 car passenger set.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Very nice once again.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."