Wagon Scratch Bashes

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
MrRail
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Wagon Scratch Bashes

Post by MrRail » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:38 am

Getting back into the swing of things after a busy spell.
Got the upper cattle doors done for the cattle wagon.

First things first, was the painful process of making the pins for the cattle car functional.
To accomplish this, I looped 27 link per inch chain through loops I made with phosphor bronze wire. This got the smallest dot of flux, then was soldered. The pins have the joint soldered to them, while the plastic loops on the ends the rings "float" and are not mounted to the end pins.

The end look is lovely, but man that took some doing. I get to look forward to repeating this process too. I will be drilling holes to secure the links on the end of the chain to the car. I REALLY don't want these pins wandering off.

The doors themselves went together a lot faster, and I just need to make hinges and apply rivets to them. Aside from that, the car gets guttering and then its pretty much done with assembly and its on to paint.

To that end, I have started work on a Welshpool and Llanfair brake van. I don't have any brake vans in my stock yet, so I figure I'll need one or two before I start operating sessions on my future railroad. To that end another LGB Short wheelbase frame was pulled from my stock.
This was immediately shortened, as the offset in LGB short frames just bugs me. The axles are now equal distances from both ends.

The car's deck was shortened in exactly the same manner.

The sides were then cut off, leaving the car you see in the first photo. Drawings show a roughly 6ft wheelbase, with a 2 3/4ft overhang from axle centers. I'm pretty close to these numbers, which I'm quite happy with. Next step will be to build up what would be the steel sections of the sides. This and finishing the cattle car should be my next post.
Jake
Rhosyrmor Light Railway