Magnetic couplings

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Magnetic couplings

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:10 pm

So I can report total success!

The wren hauled the tipper wagons up the 1 in 60 from the red bridge to Tan-y-bwlch, through the points and diamond crossing, over the viaduct and into Dduallt station with no problems. She ran around the train and automatically coupled to the other end of the train. Shunting up hill on a 1 in 60 was not a problem. The return trip to the red bridge was also uneventful.

So in summary. I have a working system of chopper or Norwegian couplers for locomotives and coaches. I have a working system based on replacing the hanging hooks with hanging magnets which works for goods wagons. There are two versions of that - one for larger wagons and one for light weight wagons. I have a way of coupling the two types of couplings to each other so I can simulate the mixed working of the Ffestiniog railway (empty slate wagons on the end of a passenger train or goods wagons between loco and coaches). Locomotives approaching a train couple automatically which looks and feels appropriate..

The disadvantages are that the hanging magnets are less aesthetically pleasing than the bare hook I previously used, and that things will couple up automatically when you don't want them to (like when you pick a coach up to put it away).

I will add the files for making the hanging magnet holders to the 3 D printing section. However be aware that these print perfectly in a resin printer - and I have not tried them on a filament printer.

I will check the chopper coupling files for errors and then add them to the same place.

I think that really completes this thread unless anyone else wants to add anything!

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Magnetic couplings

Post by ge_rik » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Glad you finally got them sorted out, Trevor. Sounds like you've cracked it!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube