TVT Jackson Sharp Cars Part 3.

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
GTB
Driver
Driver

TVT Jackson Sharp Cars Part 3.

Post by GTB » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:09 pm

The saga continues........... :roll:

There was no particular plan to build more of these modified Bachmann models, but recently some J-S combines have turned up locally on Fleabay, so exorbitant US postage rates weren't involved in acquiring one. The vendor of one of the models I looked at offered me a discount, money changed hands and in the fullness of time the delivery tortoise left a parcel on my front doorstep.

We are currently in a La Nina event and the weather has been cold and wet here, so this model moved up the to do list, as it could be worked on inside the house, where it is warm and dry. ;)

The model changes are much the same as previous instalments, so rather than repeating them, anyone interested will find the methods used in the links below.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10173
https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10817

The first photo shows the model as received. A standard Bachmann Jackson Sharp combine. This one had been modified so it could be used with head end power for the lights, instead of the battery box that comes built into the underframe on these models. The bodywork hadn't been modified, but the underframe had seen better days. The first order of battle was to strip everything back to the basic plastic mouldings, by removing the rats nest of wiring and sundry blobs of epoxy holding the wiring in place.

JSBC-a.jpg
JSBC-a.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 4160 times

The next photo was taken a couple of weeks later and shows the model modified and ready for the paint shop. The plastic wheels have been replaced with my own steel ones, a new wooden underframe has been fitted, the roof extended at each end, the US type sliding door replaced with VR style double doors and an extra window fitted in the van section.

JSBC-d.jpg
JSBC-d.jpg (150.3 KiB) Viewed 4160 times

The last photo shows the model painted in the TVT passenger colours sitting on the track this afternoon, when the rain cleared for a few hours. By the time the sun comes back again, the paint should have cured hard enough for the model to enter traffic.

JSBC-e.jpg
JSBC-e.jpg (265.88 KiB) Viewed 4160 times

The effect aimed for is what the VR would call a passenger car with van and the bodywork is functionally similar to the VR narrow gauge NBC vans.

This should be the end of this saga, as I don't think there are enough roof parts left to make any more. Making the four cars that are in service required two extra roof mouldings and they are difficult to find on their own. The term 'rare as hen's teeth' springs to mind........

Regards,
Graeme
Last edited by GTB on Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TVT Jackson Sharp Cars Part 3.

Post by ge_rik » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:30 pm

A really neat and effective mod. I like it!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:38 pm

Most impressive, always meticulously built and finished.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 am

A sharp rake, that makes. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:05 pm

Some really impressive modifications to 'Australize' your rolling stock, and bring the Bachmann originals to something nearer your running scale. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 pm

Weather looks good for a shot of the total rake 😊

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:51 am

11thHour wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 pm Weather looks good for a shot of the total rake 😊
Now there's a good idea - yes please!

Love the new carriage - I'm particularly enjoying the crisp lettering and the guard's ticket window...