Rolling stock of the GWLR

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Rolling stock of the GWLR

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:06 pm

As promised to Andrew of WH(WHR), here begins a thread dedicated to rolling stock of the Greta & Wenningdale Light Railway.
I enjoy scratch building stuff, particularly where I can repurpose something, So I have been somewhat surprised to realise how much of my stock is actually kitbuilt. However, I (like many others I suspect) nearly always add my own embellishments to kits, and being a railway not particularly based on any prototype, I can get away with quite a lot applying rule 8 - it's my railway, so what I say goes :P So this thread will also include kit purchases and the modifications I made to them.
Early on in the life of the GWLR (it actually began as the Bogg Bridge & Breastfield Light Railway - BaBBLR) I needed a guards van scaled to suit Binnie tipper wagons, and so I decided to make my own, using a Binnie flat bed waggon as the base for it. The body work was built from thin plasticard, and embellished with Hornby track pinheads as rivets on the framework.
GV1shell.jpg
GV1shell.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
GV1shell2.jpg
GV1shell2.jpg (183.89 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
As it is a guards brake van, I felt it needed brake gear, so I 'cobbled' together something with plastic strip, brass wire and Cambrian bolts and added the brake wheel to the vestibule end, rather than in the van, on the basis that it was small enough without having the brake wheel there too.
Brake mechanism.jpg
Brake mechanism.jpg (957.3 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
With the addition of running boards, handrails and a tail lamp, I thought that the model was finished.
GV1_exterior1.jpg
GV1_exterior1.jpg (132.9 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
But then, with so much detail outside, I thought I had better detail the inside and make the lights work too. So a bench was added, a small stove and a dim interior light, just because I'm a glutton for punishment :lol: :roll: Unfortunately, because I have placed the battery box in the roof (no room underneath, you see - someone put brake detail there :roll:) there is no better view of the interior than from the vestibule end :dontknow:
GV1_exterior2.jpg
GV1_exterior2.jpg (164.21 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
The final touch was to provide a crew, and so the GWLR employed Garry Oretrain as a guard, and he has faithfully carried out that role ever since 2014.
GV1_crewed.jpg
GV1_crewed.jpg (148.31 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Rolling stock of the GWLR

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:29 pm

Very nice too!.... small but beautifully formed.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:11 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:29 pm Very nice too!.... small but beautifully formed.
Yes, indeed.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:20 pm

Very nice, I like that a lot! A lovely overall design that looks just right, and satisfyingly chunky detail...

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:10 pm

Thank you for your kind comments. More to come, of course.
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 am

Great looking model. Really like the touches such as the glimpse of the brake gear beneath.... :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:01 pm

That's a canny wee thing. I love it.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:42 pm

That's absolutely superb. Love your attention to detail. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Rolling stock of the GWLR - Gravity Griff waggons

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:01 pm

Prompted by Simon-m, https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 60#p168225 I decided I needed to do something to reduce my backlog of rainy day projects.
I purchased a Gravity griff kit from Locoremote in January, when they announced they would be ending production of the 3d printed kit. Being on a short break before Easter in the South Lakes, I decided to take along the kit to try and construct it in the evenings. I'm so glad I did - the parts went together really well, like a very satisfactory Airfix kit, and with some well designed features to enable maintenance of working parts.
Gravity Griff parts.jpg
Gravity Griff parts.jpg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 4634 times
Photo credit: Chris Rennie, Locoremote
At the time of purchase, I opted for the prewired Rx and soundcard, and it was literally a case of putting it in place, adding batteries and then turning it on.
Gravity Griff Rx parts.jpg
Gravity Griff Rx parts.jpg (20.07 KiB) Viewed 4634 times
Photo credit: Chris Rennie, Locoremote
It worked! And I was able to construct not only the powered waggon, but also the 3 accompanying slate waggons in one evening.
With a steam up planned for Easter Saturday at a friend's line, when we returned home on Good Friday, I managed to prime and paint the slate loads to give some contrast to the model. Together with the Clavey Models brakeman, already painted, this produced a useable interesting model.
With as much painting done as I wished to do for the steam up, I decided to 'just do a test run' on that morning, and it was at this point that Murphy and his legislation took a hand in proceedings :roll:
Well, heh heh, - I tested it on my line just to ensure all was working. It trundled along my track, onto the bridge over the pond, it passed the end of the bridge railings and... promptly derailed, plunging into the pond😱 - and it was still running!. I plucked it out and switched it off, then did a rapid disassemble and got the hair dryer on it. Fortunately, after a bit of a false start, all was well :oops:
So, I was able to visit my friend's railway and run the first Gravity train to grace that line.
gravity_griff_IM.jpg
gravity_griff_IM.jpg (466.06 KiB) Viewed 4634 times
Photo credit: Ian Midgeley
And because a fun part of the model is the sound, here's a short video of it running - sound on!
GWLR Gravity Griff at SLR(N).
When the weather turns wet again, I shall see what I can do to weather the waggons satisfactorily.
Last edited by Lonsdaler on Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:59 pm

Well done Phil. I love the running and the bugle sounds magic. I've never heard the original but that sounds very plausible.
Philip

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:58 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:01 pm “…Murphy and his legislation took a hand…”
You don’t have video of it “plunging into the pond”? I’m sorry, I laughed out loud.

Across the UK this Easter, it appears, hapless hobbyists were doing their best to sabotage their own garden railways!

(It looks — and sounds! — very neat, of course)

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:33 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:59 pm Well done Phil. I love the running and the bugle sounds magic. I've never heard the original but that sounds very plausible.
Thanks Philip. I believe the sound files (2 bugle 'calls' and track running noise) are from the recreated Gravity Griff that the Ffestiniog occasionally run. The credit should all go to Chris Rennie; it is the most fun I've had making and running a kit in a long time.
Phil

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:39 pm

BertieB wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:58 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:01 pm “…Murphy and his legislation took a hand…”
You don’t have video of it “plunging into the pond”? I’m sorry, I laughed out loud.

Across the UK this Easter, it appears, hapless hobbyists were doing their best to sabotage their own garden railways!

(It looks — and sounds! — very neat, of course)
No video Bertie, because it was going to be a literal 6 foot run out and back! I'd quickly checked the line was clear, but must have missed a small piece of debris or something. The bridge parapet where it came off has no wall or rails, a job that has been on the round tuit list since it was built🤦🏼‍♂️ I can confirm that I did not laugh out loud - there may even have been some profane language, but it made a good story to share at the steam up that afternoon 🤣
Phil

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 am

Seeing the complete kit laid out, I can finally better understand why they're so popular. Brilliant bit of work, that.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:32 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 am Seeing the complete kit laid out, I can finally better understand why they're so popular. Brilliant bit of work, that.
It's a real 'novelty' item and I'm not yet sure how to best make use of it, but I have some ideas in mind. The credit for it should really go to Locoremote - my role was just as assembler/fitter😀
Phil