Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

Post by BertieB » Thu May 27, 2021 11:39 am

coach_1948.jpeg
coach_1948.jpeg (346.09 KiB) Viewed 20032 times
Buffers would be nice but unfortunately they cause problems on curves

This is a prototype for the fantasy 3’11” gauge BR and a product of the 2021 Modernisation Plan, which calls for the removal of rotting wood from the track (done), abandoning track power and replacing rubbish rolling stock.

At a little over 550mm, it’s rather longer than previous efforts (though still not as long as it ought to be, obviously) and is built around GRS ‘compartment modules’, with LGB bogies (temporarily, I hope), a planked foamboard roof and foamboard seating (to be added after painting). As you might expect, it’s going to be green.

Another cunning plan is to build longer wheelbase bogies, clad with more appropriate, resin-cast sides — to give a bit more width and to look a bit more Southern Region — but that’s not yet progressed beyond notebook scribbles. It might take a while.

And I’ve bought a large box of cheapo 1:25 passengers, which will probably take about five years to paint.

When the coach is done and OK though, the idea is to build a few more (and attempt to figure out where on earth I’m going to store them).

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 27, 2021 1:02 pm

That does look good and the GRS modules have gone together well. Most inventive!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu May 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Thanks. The modules are a bit over scale (G3) for my purposes really and though it may not come over in the (peculiarly lit) picture, looking at it from across the room, the coach does look pretty substantial. Good fun.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu May 27, 2021 3:10 pm

BertieB wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:39 am
When the coach is done and OK though, the idea is to build a few more (and attempt to figure out where on earth I’m going to store them).
It is very nice so far, however you would to have a similar storage issue as Rik ;)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 27, 2021 4:01 pm

Very nice indeed, very characterful...

A little alarmed that The Modernisation Plan has reared its head though - large scale dieselisation, to be followed 8 years later by The Beeching Report?!! At least that'll solve your storage issues...

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri May 28, 2021 10:45 am

It looks 'the biz'! Regarding buffers, could yo make some 'low profile' ones? They needn't protrude further than the handles for the roof ladders (I think that's what I can see). Or bite the bullet and decide that a narrow 'standard gauge' British Railways decided a single central buffer was the way to go? :dontknow:
Either (any?) way, it looks excellent and will complement your locos nicely.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat May 29, 2021 9:37 am

Thank you.

I’ll put buffers only at the back of the last coach, I guess. The coaches will have to be in a numbered, permanently coupled ‘set’, of course, it being the 3’11” SR.

I think I might have to do some clever roof-mounted (internal!) storage in the shed.

And I’m afraid there will be more diesels!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat May 29, 2021 10:34 am

BertieB wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:37 am And I’m afraid there will be more diesels!
A "33" and a "Hymek" would look the business on your line...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat May 29, 2021 12:14 pm

You’re right, of course, about a 33 being the obvious choice.

I’d have to come to terms though with the psychological scarring brought about by their unpleasant appearance and having had to travel behind (or in front of) them no more than several million times. I’ll probably have to cheat a little.

Some hours later
Well, not “several million times” but certainly quite a lot. I think they were the only engines we ever saw: always filthy and – as a young person, I thought – extremely boring and ugly, compared to say, Hymeks, 37s, 47s, etc… The phobia’s stayed with me for life.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Nice - unfortunately my other options for locos would be steam an O2 or Terrier. You could try a class 20. I remember someone building a 'G-or Something' scale one years ago on RMWeb. They were using Playmobile R/C stock and it looked the part. I'll see if I can dig anything up on it.

Edit - I've found a couple of links to the chaps work. Not sure how useful they'll be some of the links are quite old and used photo bucket for images - also there's no step guides for building his 20 but he's done some images of his class 25 construction.

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 30&t=28201

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic. ... =21&page=1

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:15 pm

[quote=BertieB post_id=163143 time=1622286869 user_id=1928]
You’re right, of course, about a 33 being the obvious choice.

I’d have to come to terms though with the psychological scarring brought about by their unpleasant appearance and having had to travel behind (or in front of) them no more than several million times.

Agreed! I think the week the 33 was designed the style committee had the week off. You made the right choice with the far more elegant 73.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:04 pm

I'm amazed!

I always assumed the Class 33 was universally loved! Along with the 73, they were the only locos I saw with any regularity, and I've always had a huge soft spot for them. Rail blue didn't do much for any loco (especially 73s!), but in original green, with a small yellow warning panel, or in Railfreight "construction" livery they look great - small but purposeful, with a friendly round "face"...

I've sometimes wondered about tweaking one to 16mm size, but I doubt it will ever come to pass. Or the 2EPB that sometimes features in that particular daydream...

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:16 pm

Andrew wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:04 pm I'm amazed!

I always assumed the Class 33 was universally loved!
I wouldn't say I love them, any more or less than most other diesels. The only ones I saw working with any regularity were 47, 20's and 08's, but I must say I don't really understand the apparent distaste for 33's.
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:05 am

Very tidy, that. :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:35 am

Thank you, everyone.

The lift-off foamboard roof, presumably because of heat, direct sunlight and / or several sprayed coats of primer on one side only – I dunno – has gone a bit banana shaped. I’ll attempt to screw it down flat but I think I might have to come up with another way to make, or fit, them (roofs, I mean).

Sylvian Tennant wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:52 pm "I remember someone building a 'G-or Something' scale one years ago on RMWeb..."
That first link’s really interesting: there’s another confused-scale oddball out there! Thanks.

invicta280 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:15 pm "...the week the 33 was designed the style committee had the week off"
Yeah. They didn’t even have to convene: it’s more-or-less the same as the manufacturer’s previous model. Thank you for your support!

Andrew wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:04 pm "I've sometimes wondered about tweaking... the 2EPB that sometimes features in that particular daydream..."
Oh! Yes please. You should — that’s a great idea.

philipy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:16 pm "...I must say I don't really understand the apparent distaste for 33s".
I didn’t really want to own up to this but — I remember them replacing Bulleid Pacifics (!) — I mean, come on — and hanging around being totally reliable but extraordinarily boring (and just about the only locomotives to be seen locally) for the next 20 years. I reserve the right to be disappointed.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:13 pm

BertieB wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:35 am I didn’t really want to own up to this but — I remember them replacing Bulleid Pacifics (!) — I mean, come on — and hanging around being totally reliable but extraordinarily boring (and just about the only locomotives to be seen locally) for the next 20 years. I reserve the right to be disappointed.
Ah, OK, fair enough! I'm a little younger, so my memory's sort of the opposite. I travelled to Salisbury from Waterloo a fair bit in my mid-teens, when the trains were hauled by 50s (which I rather liked, and still do), and later 47s. The 33s, which the bigger diesels had displaced, would occasionally be required to stand-in on their old role, which gave them the air of the plucky underdog. Well, to me, anyway...

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:13 pm

That looks Great! Gives me inspiration to do some more Gauge one Compartment Coaches with all the panelling. Which does mean some Isle of Wight stock (now that will be good to see).

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:47 pm

coaches_primer_0721A.jpg
coaches_primer_0721A.jpg (388.75 KiB) Viewed 18314 times
Now there’s a brake coach too!

As always, it features a couple of totally avoidable, sloppy mistakes and, preoccupied with avoiding any issues negotiating tight curves, I’ve gone and coupled them way too far apart (and yes I did test it). I’ll need to fiddle with that. I’ll have to write ‘concentrate’ on the back of my hands for no.3.

I think they’ll be fine trundling round the garden though. And they do look big.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:58 am

BertieB wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:47 pm I think they’ll be fine trundling round the garden though. And they do look big.
They may look big but they also look very good, and impressive :)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:03 am

Those are really very nice indeed, love the detail!

I'm not the only one thinking "Annie and Clarabel" though, surely? I'm guessing the livery will be a coat of Sodor orangey-brown?! "Duck" will need to go green, of course...