Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Re: Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:13 pm

BertieB wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:35 am I didn’t really want to own up to this but — I remember them replacing Bulleid Pacifics (!) — I mean, come on — and hanging around being totally reliable but extraordinarily boring (and just about the only locomotives to be seen locally) for the next 20 years. I reserve the right to be disappointed.
Ah, OK, fair enough! I'm a little younger, so my memory's sort of the opposite. I travelled to Salisbury from Waterloo a fair bit in my mid-teens, when the trains were hauled by 50s (which I rather liked, and still do), and later 47s. The 33s, which the bigger diesels had displaced, would occasionally be required to stand-in on their old role, which gave them the air of the plucky underdog. Well, to me, anyway...

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:13 pm

That looks Great! Gives me inspiration to do some more Gauge one Compartment Coaches with all the panelling. Which does mean some Isle of Wight stock (now that will be good to see).

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:47 pm

coaches_primer_0721A.jpg
coaches_primer_0721A.jpg (388.75 KiB) Viewed 18313 times
Now there’s a brake coach too!

As always, it features a couple of totally avoidable, sloppy mistakes and, preoccupied with avoiding any issues negotiating tight curves, I’ve gone and coupled them way too far apart (and yes I did test it). I’ll need to fiddle with that. I’ll have to write ‘concentrate’ on the back of my hands for no.3.

I think they’ll be fine trundling round the garden though. And they do look big.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:58 am

BertieB wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:47 pm I think they’ll be fine trundling round the garden though. And they do look big.
They may look big but they also look very good, and impressive :)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:03 am

Those are really very nice indeed, love the detail!

I'm not the only one thinking "Annie and Clarabel" though, surely? I'm guessing the livery will be a coat of Sodor orangey-brown?! "Duck" will need to go green, of course...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:37 pm

Thanks guys.
Andrew wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:03 am “…I'm guessing the livery will be a coat of Sodor orangey-brown?! "Duck" will need to go green, of course…”
Certainly not! Obviously, this obscure branchline has to be somewhere not too far from Weymouth. They had loads of Pannier tanks — and green coaches. Huh!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Well Bertie, whatever the faults and mistakes, they will only be visible to your eyes. Really good looking stock :thumbright:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:33 am

Phil — Thanks very much. Now that I’ve calmed down, I guess I’m happy how they’ve turned out. Had to do quite a bit of remedial work (and sand away a fair bit of filler) on no.2 though. Cheers!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:00 am

BertieB wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:33 am Phil — Thanks very much. Now that I’ve calmed down, I guess I’m happy how they’ve turned out. Had to do quite a bit of remedial work (and sand away a fair bit of filler) on no.2 though. Cheers!
:lol: Isn't it annoying to spend money on something which you turn into dust and blow away? (Thinks - entrepreneurial idea - sell packets of dust for people to blow away, cut out the hard part!) Have I missed anything? :lol:
Phil

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:39 pm

There’s now a video of ‘will they cope with the curves in the back garden’ posted in the Video forums here: https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=13576

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 pm

BertieB wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:39 pm There’s now a video of ‘will they cope with the curves in the back garden’ posted in the Video forums here: https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=13576
Now you've established that you can't reduce the gap further, are you going to reinstate the buffers? They could be shortened if necessary, I'm sure :thumbright:
Phil

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:43 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 pm ‘….are you going to reinstate the buffers?’
Still pretty certain buffers would get in the way on tighter curves, I’m afraid. But underframe, bogies and coach ends will all be painted murky black and I’m prepared to find it difficult to notice (as usual) that there’s anything missing.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:54 pm

paint_decals_1.jpg
paint_decals_1.jpg (301.77 KiB) Viewed 7890 times

The first two coaches of the 2021 Modernisation Plan now have a couple of coats of Agreeable Green — malachite — possibly not accurate but then neither are the coaches.

I’ve read that the Southern and then the Southern Region often re-varnished older coaches, rather than repainting them, so a variety of greens could be seen well into the BR era. That’s my excuse. They’d probably be so grubby you wouldn’t be able to tell anyway.

DIY inkjet transfers (on white decal paper) can be a bit of a faff, as you need to match the background on which they’ll be applied. Middle picture shows varied Photoshop swatch samples, based on a scan of the painted background colour (plasticard off-cut, top picture, right), from my cheapo HP printer/scanner. ‘Scan 2’ (middle picture, far right) seemed a reasonable match.

Bottom pic shows the printed A5 ‘page’ of the required items, using the background green chosen. I’ll need to touch up all the white edges after application.

You can get decals with transparent backgrounds professionally printed to order, of course, but unfortunately they’re rather expensive.

(This is what I do now on a Saturday night)

Cheers!

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:12 am

BertieB wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:54 pm
DIY inkjet transfers (on white decal paper) can be a bit of a faff, as you need to match the background on which they’ll be applied...... I’ll need to touch up all the white edges after application.
Yes, thats what I've done in the past as well. Touching up the edges I always find to be an unsatisfactory 'mare, so I'll be fascinated to see how you do it.

The coaches themselves are looking fabulous, of course.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:49 am

Those coaches really looking good in their livery. I too will be following the decal story with interest. I've been using white self adhesive vinyl for my crests up to now and have a similar problem matching the background to the livery.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:01 am

I use a guy in USA called Stan Cederleaf for my decals. Waterslide on a clear background, but due to his equipment it prints white. Provide your own design or have him design for you. At around $60.00 for a A4 sheet not cheap, but he will fill the sheet and they are very good. This is an example:
Attachments
Railbus-Finish-4.jpg
Railbus-Finish-4.jpg (74.17 KiB) Viewed 8495 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:33 am

While searching for self adhesive, Welsh red Dragon stickers I came across this on eBay:
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/K ... l1200.webp
He will print any design you ask and is not expensive. I had some made and they are just what I wanted.
Search..... greenteagraphics in eBay for further information.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:18 am

They are fantastic mate.

I'm also looking into majing my iwn decals. What program do you use is it just the normal word/paint pages/drawing ones

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:25 pm

UK custom decal suppliee:

https://custom-model-decals.com/

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:14 pm

decal_detail_3.jpg
decal_detail_3.jpg (48.61 KiB) Viewed 8403 times
The splodgy mess around the transfers is a protective coat of Humbrol Clear I put on after they had dried. The following day I could paint over it as necessary. I suppose I should have printed them to the width of the panel and door

The decals / transfers worked out fine. Colour match wasn’t too bad and, of course, there were scruffy white edges but I hadn’t trimmed them too tightly and there was plenty of space to tidy up with a small paint brush.

With the whole coach then spray varnished, I think they look OK. But after all that, these livery details are quite small and restrained — outside, I don’t suppose they’ll be particularly noticeable (as you can see in the picture below).

painted_coaches_2353.jpg
painted_coaches_2353.jpg (176.84 KiB) Viewed 8403 times

Thanks for all the interest. JimmyB’s guy in the US offering bespoke transfers (including white print) on transparent backgrounds, all for $60 an A4 sheet is the cheapest I’ve heard of. However…

Sylvian Tennant wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:18 am 'What program do you use – is it just the normal word/paint pages/drawing ones?'

I’ve been using ancient, legacy, print design software — particularly Photoshop (versions that came on install discs) — on elderly Macs for ages, which isn’t really of much help to you.

If you want to match backgrounds or aim for specific colours, you’ll need image editing and / or graphics applications that let you work in CMYK* (because your printer does) and that offer precise control of colour, type, imported images and sizing. You could sign up to Creative Cloud — it’s only 50 quid a month! But no doubt there are cheaper alternatives.

(*CMYK - cyan, magenta, yellow, black - are the inks used in colour printing and colours are defined by their percentages, in that order)

Cheapo inkjet printers / scanners can be amazing value (I’d recommend HP) but the colour is never absolutely accurate, which is why I go through the whole palaver of doing a set of swatches / colour samples — including slightly darker, lighter, warmer, cooler alternatives to the scanned colour I’m trying to match (as shown in the earlier photograph). I don’t think there’s a better way to assess colour accuracy, than printing out the colour (on the decal paper you intend to use) and holding it against the original. But sometimes that doesn’t work either.

Best of luck!