freelance carriage build

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

freelance carriage build

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:39 pm

My latest project to while away the hours has been to build a freelance victorian guards carriage kit from Jeremy Irwin.

Having only built IP engineering kits previously I was blown away by the quality and contents of this kit. Other than glazing (and paint!), everything you need to build a highly detailed model is included.

* all carriage parts laser cut from MDF
* wheels + ball bearings
* lighting kit inc batteries
* 3D printed door handles + roof vents
* buffers

Here are the parts laid out on my kitchen table.

1_kit_contents.jpg
1_kit_contents.jpg (5.06 MiB) Viewed 5520 times

Having spent some time watching the build instructions video provided by Jeremy, I decided to start on the interior. Rather than paint the interior, I decided to try a wood stain + MDF sealer + lacquer approach, which I think has worked quite well. The floor was sprayed with PlastiKote grey after sealing with MDF sealer.

2_stain_interior.jpg
2_stain_interior.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 5520 times

I deviated somewhat from the instructions as I intended to paint the under frame components, guard duckets and overlays separately before final assembly.
Last edited by georgesheppard on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: freelance carriage build

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:50 pm

With the interior completed and the main body constructed, I started painting. The roof was assembled and painted as well as the ~ 10 layer sides for the under frame.

First off I covered the windows + roof opening with masking tape from the inside to protect the stained interior. The carriage was then sprayed with grey primer, I've been using Rust-Oleum Surface Primer Grey so far which seems to work well for me. The bottom side was painted with Satin Black spray paint.

3_paint_prep.jpg
3_paint_prep.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 5518 times

After some discussion the forum, I changed my plan to do a split cream & blue livery with black overlays to a simpler cream & blue colour scheme.

Cream - Hycote XUK1027 Ford Sierra Beige
Blue - Plastikote Gloss pacific Blue Spray Paint (ral5010)

I learned the hard way that these paints do not like each other's company, having painted the duckets in blue then attempting to overspray cream. The paint reacted and cracked up. I stripped the paint, re-primed and then painted separately. I think i'll try and get paints from the same manufacturer if possible.

The interior lighting was fitted and a quick test, everything looking good so far!

4_painted.jpg
4_painted.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 5518 times

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:56 pm

Decals from IP engineering were applied followed by a coat of semi gloss lacquer. Steps and hand rails were glued into position, as well as fitting the under frame and wheels. I splashed out on some brass handles from swift sixteen for the exterior. For the interior I used the supplied 3D printed parts. For simplicity I used a single run of 1mm perspex for glazing. Given I had made some effort to present a well finished interior, I tried to mask the perspex with some balsa cut into strips, stained with wood stain and then lacquered. The finish could probably be tidier but at least it covers most of the perspex from the interior.

5_finished.jpg
5_finished.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 5517 times

The spray paint job isn't perfect but for my fourth carriage build I'm pretty pleased overall. I picked up some new tricks after watching Jeremy's build videos so hoping to continue to improve on my skills for the next build. I have two more kits from Jeremy to build next, both 3 compartment victorian carriages.

IMG_0078.jpeg
IMG_0078.jpeg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 5517 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:40 pm

That is avery nice build, well done. Looking forward to seeing the rake,once you've done the others.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:42 pm

It looks very neat and tidy to me, Jerry is a Forum member so should be watching too!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:22 pm

As said, a nice build. As for paint, especially spray can paint, at one time car paint was a big no-no, but a lot of car paint is now acrylic. Previously I have had issue with lacquer reacting with paint, and when the model is finished and decals applied that is heart breaking.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:58 pm

That is a smashing job George. It's a lovely model and the quality of the build is impressive. I love the livery by the way :thumbleft:

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:12 am

Love this build, the livery colours are superb. You have done a fantastic job George. :salute:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:09 am

What a great thread with a fine looking outcome. It's the sort of thread which I'm sure people will refer back to.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:08 am

ge_rik wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:09 am What a great thread with a fine looking outcome. It's the sort of thread which I'm sure people will refer back to.

Rik
Spot on Rik. I've no doubt I shall be referring back it from time to time in the future. :study:

Just the sort of thing that makes this site such a useful resource. :D

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:24 pm

I've almost finished the second carriage in the rake. All that's left is some interior tidy ups to cover the perspex windows with some stained balsa wood. Less photos to share on this build.

The first photo shows two stages with some bits skipped. The first half is all the kit parts laid out on the kitchen table. The second is during spraying lacquer after staining with antique pine wood stain + sealing with MDF sealer. This was a now seemingly obvious tip I picked up from Jerry's build videos where he uses small pieces of rolled up masking tape to attach pieces to a piece of cardboard. This makes spray painting much easier than my previous method of balancing pieces on various sizes of takeaway boxes.

Merged_document.jpg
Merged_document.jpg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 5177 times

I wanted to share some photos of the roof construction as compared to others I think it's really top notch. It goes together really nicely. The strange looking notches are to fit the supplied LED lighting strip & battery pack.

Merged_document (1).jpg
Merged_document (1).jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 5177 times

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:31 pm

Skipping to the end, here is the completed carriage (bar interior finishing). I decided to try gold lining the inside edges of the overlay which I think adds a little extra to the look. Thanks for the tips earlier in this thread!

Merged_document (2).jpg
Merged_document (2).jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 5176 times

Here is the two carriages I've completed so far.

IMG_0374.jpeg
IMG_0374.jpeg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 5176 times

They look pretty good together in my opinion!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:06 pm

They do look good together George, you seem to have mastered kit building very quickly, well done.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:27 am

Very nice. I knew the rake would look good after seeing the first one by itself.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:52 am

Very smart. That colour scheme will look great amongst the foliage in the garden.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:27 am

Agreed with others. That's a lovely pair of carriages!

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:49 am

Very nice coaches. The paintjob was excellent. :D
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)