livery inspiration

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: livery inspiration

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:56 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 am Be very careful George. Like Peter said, it's very hard to do once the overlays have been put on. I did and what I mess I made of it....You however may have a steadier hand.....
I gave it a go on the guard duckets as I hadn't fitted the overlays. Suffice to say, I'm not going to try and gold line the overlays that have already been fitted! The risk of making a mess is higher than the reward. It's a great technique I'd not thought of that I'll use on the rest of the rake however. I can live with the slight difference in livery!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:34 am

Good for you George. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Peter showed us that sometime ago and I use it all the time now when I build kits. It does so improve the appearance of the kit.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:41 am

georgesheppard wrote: ↑Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:56 am I gave it a go on the guard duckets as I hadn't fitted the overlays. Suffice to say, I'm not going to try and gold line the overlays that have already been fitted! The risk of making a mess is higher than the reward.
What little lining I do on models now is done with a bow pen. With the hand tremor I've got, I don't attempt to do it freehand and for straight lines use a 6” plastic ruler as a pen guide with a couple of blobs of blu-tack under the ruler to make sure it doesn't slip at a crucial point........

I know bow pens aren't for everyone, but Artline make extra fine tip paint pens (Artline 999XF) in a choice of gold or silver with a 0.8mm tip. There are possibly other manufacturers, but these are the finest ones I've seen here in Oz. They also have a limited range of plain paint colours in the Artline 444XF range with the same 0.8mm tip.

I should think these could be used to give a narrow gold line along the edge of beading, using the same ruler and blu-tack as a guide for the pen. For lining around curved corners in mouldings a piece of plastic with the corner suitably rounded could be substituted as a guide for the pen.

Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:27 am

GTB wrote: ↑Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:41 am
For lining around curved corners in mouldings a piece of plastic with the corner suitably rounded could be substituted as a guide for the pen.

Graeme
Now that is a very good tip... :goodpost :thankyouyellow