Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: IP Engineering freelance carriages

Post by georgesheppard » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:13 am

Andrew wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:16 am
georgesheppard wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Andrew wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:15 pm I built one of those IP balcony carriages too, modifying it to look something like a (short) Ffestiniog example - I created new balcony rails with coat hanger wire and large split pins, and that's pretty durable. As you've said, the original wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes...
Great idea. I was wondering what to replace them with! I keep getting flashbacks to fitting the roof when I look at that carriage so it might be a project for a later date :lol:
Glad you like the idea! Here's how mine came out (pre-painting, obviously!), including the Ffestiniog mods:

Roofs are a nightmare - as I recall the one on this carriage came out pretty wonky!

All the best,

Andrew.
Looks great Andrew!

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:04 pm

IMG_20190405_162422.jpg
IMG_20190405_162422.jpg (519.49 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
My IP coach rake. I used thin ply for the roof in place of the plastic card provided. I used 3 or 4 elastic bands with some thin planks between the roof and rubber bands to hold everything till the glue went off. The van is also an IP WD van which I altered to a curved roof and used the same thin ply. The stock also has toilet papered roofs to represent felting which was placed over the ply then dabbed with diluted PVA glue. Love your stock, the livery suits it very well!

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:37 pm

pippindoo wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:04 pm IMG_20190405_162422.jpg
My IP coach rake. I used thin ply for the roof in place of the plastic card provided. I used 3 or 4 elastic bands with some thin planks between the roof and rubber bands to hold everything till the glue went off. The van is also an IP WD van which I altered to a curved roof and used the same thin ply. The stock also has toilet papered roofs to represent felting which was placed over the ply then dabbed with diluted PVA glue. Love your stock, the livery suits it very well!
Looking good pippindoo! I think customising the roof is the way forward. I'm waiting on some kits from the The Line Side Hut, I think the roof construction is more advanced so hopefully I'll have fewer issues!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:20 pm

georgesheppard wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:37 pm I'm waiting on some kits from the The Line Side Hut, I think the roof construction is more advanced so hopefully I'll have fewer issues!
My experience of building Lineside Hut kits has been positive. From passenger coaches, where the roof ribs have been fitted first to add strength to the side walls.....
IMG_5961.JPG
IMG_5961.JPG (89.21 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
IMG_5962.JPG
IMG_5962.JPG (86.64 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
To the elaborate jig supplied with the Curly Roof Van kit.....
IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG (431.97 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
IMG_5887.JPG
IMG_5887.JPG (93.56 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
Everything needed is supplied.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Lineside Hut carriages are good! We have a Corris coach and van (modified to have a ducket). We did scrap the original roof's and replace them with aluminium but there was no doubt the roofs on them are designed well. The bracing was kept to add rigidity to the carriage sides.
The only metal roofed carriage that ever gives issues is our model of WHR 23. This has a steel roof - good when in the traditional modern WHR position of "behind the Garratt" but it does tend to pull carriages off the track that are in front of it!
Once the bug boxes are finished I'll test them and see if the carriage pulls them off.