Gauge One Rolling Stock in 1:32 scale

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Gauge One Rolling Stock in 1:32 scale

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:20 pm

As Rik has said, it's lovely hearing the clicketty clack as the trains go past - very difficult to get the same cadence modelling 16mm narrow gauge :)
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:51 am

Looks like a good day down there! I’m curious about the q1 that makes an appearance in the background a few times, do you know anything about it?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Garethh wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:51 am Looks like a good day down there! I’m curious about the q1 that makes an appearance in the background a few times, do you know anything about it?
Hi,

Don't know much about it if I'm honest. I think its a Orion Models one but its been heavily modified. Belongs to another member.

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:30 pm

Another month, another coach. This time the last Restriction 0 Maunsell Coach which brings the number to five. Just need to paint it to match the others then it can go and run at GMES at the next open day with the schools hopefully or maybe the radial. I've also drawn up the Hastings unit (not actually sure where to put it being half coach half diesel so I'll put the CAD here and the model in battery locos) which will follow soon.

Maunsell Restriction 0 Composite Brake Coach to match the other 4.

Hastings Driving unit

Currently being cut at the 3 Restriction 1 Maunsell prototypes which does mean I'll have to make a decision. With these 3, there will be another brake coach. Now do I fit the last as every other buckeye brake (one 3 link and one buckeye) or do I do twin buckeyes on this one to maximise train lengths. Decisions decisions..... I mean, I'm unlikely to run more than 12 coach trains at once anyway and the new R0 brake means I can have techically 13 coach corridor trains. I think that's more than enough but the option for a 8 coach Maunsell train is very appealing......

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 pm

I love how every time I want to start the commerical side of things I find yet more that fall into the 'I'd like one of those' category...... Oh well!

Two different lots of Passenger Coaches have seen work. Ironically, the first one was semi commerical as they were drawn up back in 2018 as the launch of the Gauge one range (2 years later that happened in a very different way) and the others covering another long held wish of a set of Great Western Stock. 1927 Pullmans and GWR Hawksworth Coaches.

Pullman CAD Test

Hawksworth CAD Test

Pullman 'Isle of Thanet'

Pullmans wise, there's 5 different versions for the main range (which won't feature here) but there was one pullman I wanted for myself and its rather appropriate considering where it ended up. 'Isle of Thanet'. A Parlor Brake Coach for the 'Thanet Belle'. The perfect addition for the R0/1 Maunsells and Thanet Coaches. Ironically, Isle of Thanet is fitted with Buckeyes to run with the Maunsell Coaches making a nice 6 coach set. I am still working on the R1 Maunsells but they'll be a later addition in the year as I need a break from new stuff! That said, once the sides are sorted I'll most likely build them so I can tick them off the list. The pullman is waiting on its bogies and then its fully finished. It will be finished in full Pullman Cream and Umber in due course.

Hawksworth all 1st
Hawksworth all brake

Hawksworth wise, I've done 5 with a 6th possibly if I can make the required space. I've covered a All first, All third, Brake Composite, Brake Third and full Brake. The 6th I'm looking at is 'Test Car 4' aka the GWR Dynamometer Coach which was a converted all 3rd. All 5 currently built are waiting on bogies to complete them but are otherwise complete. All 5 will be finished in BR Maroon as BR Crimson and Cream is beyond my skill set at the moment.

Hawksworth All 3rd

Hawksworth Brake Composite

Hawksworth Brake 3rd

Hopefully they'll all be on their wheels by the end of the week as the wheelsets arrived today! Once these are done, its just waiting on funds for the Hastings Bogies and the preformed Plywood R1 Coach sides from a contact of mine.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:31 am

Those are looking very good! The Pullmans will look great behind your Schools...

Your unpainted Hawksworth carriages really emphasise how modern they were - I guess they were one of the predecessors of the BR Mk 1, but with the long windows and rounded ends there a distinctly Mk 2 look going on... Love the full brake too - is that like the one that sits in the bay at Toddington on the GWSR?

Looking forward to seeing them progress in due course...

Andrew.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:31 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:31 am Those are looking very good! The Pullmans will look great behind your Schools...

Your unpainted Hawksworth carriages really emphasise how modern they were - I guess they were one of the predecessors of the BR Mk 1, but with the long windows and rounded ends there a distinctly Mk 2 look going on... Love the full brake too - is that like the one that sits in the bay at Toddington on the GWSR?

Looking forward to seeing them progress in due course...

Andrew.
Thanks! I think the Mark 1s and 2s took heavy inspiration from the last coach designs produced (Thompson, Bulleids and Hawksworths) as the body profile is identical to that of a Bulleid, Compartment Coach Layouts/Interiors off the Hawksworths and Open designs off the Thompsons. Basically a mix and match of all of them. There's no doubt the roofs on the Mark 2s are inspired by Hawksworths abet a much more modern way of assembly.

Last Wednesday, all 5 Hawksworths saw test running at the local model engineering club behind my Victory. I definitely need something bigger to run with them (a GWR Green Modified Hall would look very nice in Gauge one.........) but they look the part for now behind Victory. That said, I do need to do some more GWR Wagons soon to allow longer freight trains behind victory as only a few wagons does look a little bit silly.

There was a Manor at the Club on the day these were ran but as it was first runs after building and the owner was learning how the engine worked, we didn't use the hawksworth behind it. That said, the same person is now looking at a set so...... who knows. Maybe a pair of sets running at GMES!

The original plan for these was BR Maroon so I could have a BR set but as a good friend has offered to paint them GWR colours in exchange for some snailbeach hoppers, he's going to do it instead! Looks like I'll need another BR set to run in addition to my Mark 1 Order........ Oh well! Next project! Hopefully the Hastings Unit and some pullmans!

Rebuilding the Railway!

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:49 am

Coaches are looking great, as is the loco! Really need to get round to getting down to give the 4f a proper run in!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:00 am

They do look good!! If only I had sufficient space .....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 pm

Work didn't stop after the hawksworths. A small number of other coaches were completed to run which added to the running fleet. A nice variety as well.

Ex SECR IoW Coaches

Ex SECR IoW Coaches

6 Pullman K Classes

GWR B Set

SR Restriction 1 Coaches (3 so far, the rest will follow in time)

GWR Autocoach

All except the Autocoach have run at Guildford which means just the Autocoach needs extended test running.

In line with the engines, other coaches have been designed from the Great Southern Railway of Ireland to run with the 141 and the 121 which are currently being cut. So more soon hopefully!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 pm

Just a few images of the new stock in use at Guildford with my own engines and a member's 5MT (making me want one even more).

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:41 am

Nice...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:52 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:41 amNice...
Very!

I particularly like the SR compartment stock...

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:29 pm

Not a lot has happened stock wise. I've built some new Irish stock to run with my new 141 and 611 but that's been about it for anything of note. The new irish coaches being Great Southern Railway of Ireland stock along with a CIE Steam Heat Van (appropriately since irish diesels can't provide steam heat by design).

However, the paint brushes have definitely been out and its been a chance to take stock of what's in the personal fleet and therefore is operational or can be made operational in time for the GMES gala beginning of July.

How it started......

......How it ended

New wagons wise, only 3 in the form of 3 WD wagons to run with the Baguley in a small RNAD/MOD Train.

The previously mentioned Irish Stock

The 3rd Pullman due to go though the paint shops

The next coaches due to be painted being the GWR Suburban Coaches

Hopefully once some more bits get produced to replace them, the Hastings Unit and the other R1 Maunsells can all be taken 'off stand' and moved to the running fleet!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:07 pm

They do look very tasty. In some ways I'm relieved I don't have a big enough garden for G1 or I'd be sorely tempted :twisted:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:43 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:07 pm They do look very tasty. In some ways I'm relieved I don't have a big enough garden for G1 or I'd be sorely tempted :twisted:
Surely you've got room for a little 'un Rik?!

Lovely stuff, as always, nice to see them painted too.

I'll be interested to see what stock you produce to go with that "shoebox" - I'd LOVE to see a G1 Gatwick Express!

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:50 pm

Shoebox = BRCW type 2? (Class 26)

But what do I know?

Phil.P

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:53 pm

Phil.P wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:50 pm Shoebox = BRCW type 2? (Class 26)

But what do I know?

Phil.P
SR Shoebox = Class 73
Andrew wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:43 pm
ge_rik wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:07 pm I'll be interested to see what stock you produce to go with that "shoebox" - I'd LOVE to see a G1 Gatwick Express!
Trust me, its on the list.....

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:48 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:43 pm
ge_rik wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:07 pm I'll be interested to see what stock you produce to go with that "shoebox" - I'd LOVE to see a G1 Gatwick Express!
Trust me, its on the list.....

[/quote]

Fantastic!!!

The GE felt like the height of modernity and excitement surrounded by all those blue and grey EMUs in SE London. I miss those too now, of course...

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:38 pm

Four more coaches have gone though the paint shop. The 3rd of 6 pullmans (the other 3 will follow when the next 5 are completed) and the GWR Suburban Set in BR Crimson. Now ready for a new arrival later this week! I'm gonna need a metric boat load of decals at this rate!

All 3 Pullmans together

GWR Suburban Set (well half one with one half of a B Set)

Time to get building some more additions now!

More Soon.

Rebuilding the Railway!