Gauge One Rolling Stock in 1:32 scale

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Gauge One Rolling Stock in 1:32 scale

Post by angr607 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:36 pm

The current pet project of mine is to build some rolling stock (and motive power) to run on the Gauge 1 layout at the local model engineering society. While some will have noticed they're also being made available though Bowaters Models, at first anything made will be because I want one hence appearing in here! You can also tell this was a personal project because the first 12 models don't feature any rivets at all (personal preference)! But still, they run well and look the part so here they are! The first models cover Southern Pregrouping designs while the second lot will feature models from God's Wonderful Railway,

All the wagons on the test track sat in one siding per prototype railway company.

The entire train as it stands currently.

First image taken at GMES of them all together before some testing using human power.

Image taken during the first loco hauled test using a borrowed Aster A3 owned (and operated) by another member.

The whole train departing at speed away from the camera.

To say I'm happy with how they're turning out and hopefully I will be able to get some longer trains running once the GWR stock is built and the motive power built (trio of small shunting locos including two sentinels and a ruston).
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gauge One Rolling Stock in 1:32 scale

Post by ge_rik » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:12 pm

They certainly look good! I'm not sure what Richard Maunsell would have made of the pink buffers though, :? ;)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:25 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:12 pm They certainly look good! I'm not sure what Richard Maunsell would have made of the pink buffers though, :? ;)

Rik
They don't look so pink anymore! Now in a very fetching shade of SR Brown.

Recent work has seen a set of pregrouping passenger coaches also drawn up and cut out. Soon to be joined by a set of Corridor coaches in due time. I'm gonna need a more powerful engine at this rate although the little Baguley I've made will pull a 4 coach train plus PMV.

SECR Utility Van - Now in SR Maunsell Passenger Green

SECR 100 Seater Coach - Now in SR Maunsell Passenger Green

SECR 7 Compartment Lavatory Composite Coach - Now in SR Maunsell Passenger Green

SECR C Type 8 Compartment Brake Coach - Now in SR Maunsell Passenger Green

SECR C Type Lavatory Brake Composite Coach - Now in SR Maunsell Passenger Green

Got another two coaches on the bench to build into a Push Pull set so plenty going on at the moment. And yes, they still count as personal projects. They're only happening because I want one! The corridor coaches I'll admit are slightly more commercially driven but even then I still want a set of Southern Railway Corridor stock of my own. And Maunsell coaches are a long way away........

The first loco, a 162hp Baguley Drewry Diesel Hydraulic, is now complete and awaiting nameplates/numberplates from Narrow Planet and the second loco, a Sentinel 'Y1' which is being finished as GWR No.12, is about to go into the paintshops so that will be the same condition as the baguley. So things are steadily getting there!

More soon hopefully.......

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:16 am

Most impressive. Also nice to see more "big railway" stuff here. :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:54 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:16 am Most impressive. Also nice to see more "big railway" stuff here. :thumbright:
Agreed, keep finding myself drawn to G1 but can’t justify the expense when my own line is too tight and twisty for it to look right!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:55 am

Those coaches look brilliant! As others have said, great to see standard gauge on the forum.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Cookie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Cookie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:46 am

Wagons and coaches are good, looking forward to the GWR stuff, will there be a rake of chocolate and cream?
This year I've probably done 10 times more gauge 1 projects for people ranging from painting figures to building an entire railway, It does make a change and should give me a bit of impetus to finish some of the Corris stock I'm building.

Regards
Richard Cooke

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys!
Cookie wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:46 am Wagons and coaches are good, looking forward to the GWR stuff, will there be a rake of chocolate and cream?
This year I've probably done 10 times more gauge 1 projects for people ranging from painting figures to building an entire railway, It does make a change and should give me a bit of impetus to finish some of the Corris stock I'm building.

Regards
Richard Cooke
Ironically, its Gauge 1 that's being a nice change for me and means that some of the longer term 16mm projects may end up happening later this year!

Regarding swindon stock, coaching stock doesn't feature in the plans yet (if I'm doing some GWR coaches, then I'm doing Hawksworth Coaches) but a number of wagons and a Toad do feature in the plans.

Speaking of the plans, finally done two more coaches off the to do list and one engine became two! The push pull set is a development of the existing coaches in that they're a conversion of them which is what BR did in the early 50s. The SR did some similar conversions as well during the mid to late 40s too but the BR conversion of set 662 I have limited photographs of. The second engine, a LNER Sentinel Y1, is now finished and ready for extended running trials same with the baguley. Both having run during the last Guildford open day almost nonstop aka a proper baptism of fire when it came to running so they're definitely run in! Just need to work out the chassis design and get the parts then I can make the third shunter, a Ruston 88DS.

The Push Pull Set modelled on Southern Region Set 662

The two shunters together.

The Baguley Drewry Up Close

The Sentinel up close

At some point, I need to make something more mainline ish although which one I'd have to work out in slow time. Seeing the budget is unlikely to stretch to a suitable live steamer for a long time to come (would love a Aster West Country/Schools or Accucraft Adams Radial/B4 at some point), a cheaper battery powered engine will be the option I most likely go for. Although which one I'd need to think about (option list is SECR C Class, SECR O1 Class, GWR 2251, GWR 56xx, GWR 57xx, LMS Jinty or LMS 4f)...........

Hopefully I can get the new stock down to guildford on sunday from some test running before sending the push pull set into the paint shop to be painted BR Carmine!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Small update

The push pull set is now in BR Crimson and looks great! Just like the others is waiting on decals to arrive at which point it will be truly complete. Next job will be to do a second 100 seater this time with Tumblehomes modelled on it. Well I need to test my design theory before I can worry about any others. Will I recut them all with Tumblehomes? No. Can't afford that so I'll just do the one. Fortunately, I wanted two 100 seaters anyway so to differentiate the two, I'll probably paint the second one into Malachite. What can I say, I actually like it but I can understand why some others won't. I also need to draw up the Thanet Bogie coaches which are the next ones on my to do list which will mean I finally have some corridor stock to run!

More to follow soon!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:17 am

Some very nice rolling stock there Jon.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:46 pm

Having wanted a pair of 100 seaters, I was kinda wondering how I'd do it when I have a rule of only one of each coach I build being in existence at once (I only have limited storage room in the shed for coaches) so when a customer asked could I modify the now released kit slightly, what a perfect reason to have two! So I do. Both of mine will end up being lettered and numbered like the surviving pair at the Bluebell Railway but for now, I plan to just enjoy them and get them running together!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:52 am

I'm really enjoying the Gauge One stuff, just lovely... Of course, you really need a "birdcage" brake to go with the Bluebell carriages...

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the pictures!

Andrew.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:52 am I'm really enjoying the Gauge One stuff, just lovely... Of course, you really need a "birdcage" brake to go with the Bluebell carriages...

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the pictures!

Andrew.
Funny you should mention a birdcage coach......

These four are the next four projects for pure personal use. The LBSCR Coach might get released in time but the other three aren’t planned too. But never say never!

Images not mine and off Wikipedia. Used under Creative Commons.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 pm

The latest projects have rolled off the production line. Two additional different coach sets are now ready for running. A SR Thanet Set plus Bogie Corridor Baggage Van in SR Malachite and a set of 4 SECR Continental coaches in Olive Green! I've also finished 3 other PMVs (a SR Utility Van, Van B and Van C) all in Olive green which join the 'loose' stock plus I've repainted the older SECR Utility Van into BR Crimson to run with the Push Pull set as a air control van.

The Thanets fresh off the building cue

The Continentals fresh off the building cue

Thanets, Bogie Corridor Van and SECR Utility Van mid repaint/Painting

Thanets, Bogie Corridor Van and SECR Utility Van completed

SR Utility Van and SR Van C fresh after being painted

Continentals and Van B fresh after being painted

I now have 4 different coach sets ready to run along with 5 loose coaches which is a good way of running things. Seeing that I can only run two at once at Guildford anyway (I only have 2 working Gauge 1 locos at the moment but there are 3 more in the works), that's probably a good thing. I do plan to make some more wagons between now and the end of the year but the business is calling so I've got some more narrow gauge models to make first!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:42 am

Some lovely rolling stock there. Well done.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Those are very impressive! I don't know much about the detail of SR carriages, but those look spot on. I like 'em all, but especially the vans, which are so distinctively Southern...

All the best,

Andrew.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Day after we left lockdown mark 2 and I was at GMES running again! This time giving the newly built Ruston, Thanets and Continentals test running. Safe to say they all did very well! With the business winding down for the year, time to get some more stuff drawn up! Currently looking at a set of SR designed wagons in G1 but if there's time, I've got a load of other pre grouping to follow including the brake vans I've wanted for a while. The SECR Dance Hall, SR Queen Mary and LSWR Road van!

After a couple more coaches are built, I think that will be the personal side of the project complete annoyingly. While its great that the commercial side of me is now viewing Gauge one differently, still good to have gotten the personal stuff out the way before it goes full commercial. But that said, 3 coaches left before I've got enough personal stock to keep me busy plus a load of GWR wagons in time isn't a bad way to transition from Personal to Commercial. Just annoying that the 3 coaches need to be a different loading gauge to the rest of the coaches that will come with them so they match the existing coaches! Ah well.....

Ruston on a restricted test train of 2 Thanets and the Corridor Baggage Van

Ruston with full Thanet set and matching Baggage Van

Baguley running with the Thanets

Thanets sat in a siding

Baguley and Continentals ready for testing

Continentals during their first proper test run

Just need to crack on with other bits now! At least I've got some time to do it now.......

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:27 am

Looking good! If you haven’t got enough projects on the go, I’ll be looking for something to run behind the 4f when it’s eventually finished...

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:59 pm

Garethh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:27 am Looking good! If you haven’t got enough projects on the go, I’ll be looking for something to run behind the 4f when it’s eventually finished...
Always happy to take on more projects! If you've got something in mind, let me know!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:26 pm

Latest Projects

With the personal side slowly coming to a end, the number of newer models is steadily falling. Doesn't mean a number of firsts can't be done though!

The 3rd 100 seater is now done and this one is in BR Crimson to match the pushpull set.

As a number of them were pushpull fitted, it makes sense to have a longer set! Also means I can run them as a longer train at GMES!

Goods stock hasn't been left behind either.

I now have 4 more brake vans including the Dance Hall and Queen Mary Brake Vans.

Plus a because I could model, a Dover Ferry Wagon!

Lots more wagons are now done including examples of both the SECR and SR Maunsell Goods Vans plus extra opens.

While I don't own a GWR engine (yet), I now have a small GWR set to run with one! Again another of the wants now crossed off the list.

New additions wise, Maunsell Coaches, LBSCR Billington, LSWR Cross Country and then that's the list mostly done! Well, except some Bullieds...... And more Maunsells...... and Mark 1s....... In fact, the more I think about it the more the list grows!

Rebuilding the Railway!