Lineside Hut Slate Wagon

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
RMurphy195
Cleaner
Cleaner

Lineside Hut Slate Wagon

Post by RMurphy195 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:43 am

Just taken delivery of a couple of these, and am not sure about the durability of the axle bearings. The axle rods run directly in the wooden axle boxes, with nothing to prevent side-to-side movement except the wheel bosses, and it seems to me that wear could be a big problem. Anyone got any experience with these?

At present I feel they would be more suited to static trackside use.

They are at the bottom of Lineside Hut's range, I've bought them as "test pieces" to check the quality before buying more expensine items, so would be a bit concerned before splashing out more!

Thanks - Richard

Andrew

Re: Lineside Hut Slate Wagon

Post by Andrew » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Hello!

I've bought a couple of cheaper LH wagons - I haven't run them much yet, so don't know how long they'll last, but I share your concerns.

I'm currently working on some Phil Sharples kits - similar price but (to me, at least) they seem much better quality. The axleboxes are dummies, with the axles running in little brass bushes on solebars between the wheels. He sells on eBay but also directly - here's one of his slate wagons: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sm32-16mm-sc ... 100623.m-1

Even if you have concerns about the cheaper LH models, I wouldn't necessarily let it put you off their more expensive items - Peter B of this forum is very complimentary about their Ffestiniog curvy roofed brake and other carriage kits, which I'd take as a very good sign!

Cheers,

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:24 pm

RMurphy195 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:43 am Just taken delivery of a couple of these, and am not sure about the durability of the axle bearings. The axle rods run directly in the wooden axle boxes, with nothing to prevent side-to-side movement except the wheel bosses, and it seems to me that wear could be a big problem. Anyone got any experience with these?
No direct experience, but just a hole in a piece of ply, or worse a piece of mdf, wouldn't be my choice for axle bearings......

The wooden 'axleboxes' on the kits you've got are pretty rudimentary. Personally I'd be inclined to replace them with moulded slate wagon axleboxes from Peter Binnie.

Alternatively open up the existing bearing holes and fit brass bearings. Ivan at IP Engineering sells them separately and there are probably other suppliers. Even a piece of suitable size K&S brass tubing would be better than nothing.

Regards,
Graeme

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm

I agree with both of the above responses, the majority of LH kits are made of quality materials, are well designed and make into good models. My Bug Box builds, comparing various manufacturers, picked up this axle issue in their kit and I describe the method I adopted to add brass bearings, just as Graeme suggests.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

RMurphy195
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RMurphy195 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm I agree with both of the above responses, the majority of LH kits are made of quality materials, are well designed and make into good models. My Bug Box builds, comparing various manufacturers, picked up this axle issue in their kit and I describe the method I adopted to add brass bearings, just as Graeme suggests.
Do you have a link to your bug box builds?

I did put the question to LSH, thier response was "The axle boxes are made of mdf which when cut hardens to seal the cut line around the axle hole, they are reasonable robust once they have been properly treated with mdf sealer, some customers prefer to add 3mm eyelets to re- enforce the hole, , we do this on some of are other more expensive kits."

So I've asked them if they can supply eyelets, at least that way I'm getting the right size.

TBH I would expect the smaller models to be of equivalent quality to the more expensive (and large) ones, especially in respect of an important point such as this.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 pm

This link is the beginning of several pages describing the building of Bug Boxes which I decided to collect. It is interesting to compare the different manufacturers choices of materials, detail and cost..... the most expensive are not necessarily the best.....

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f ... start=2235

You will find my brass bearings fitted to the LH Bug. Other Bugs also had similar bearings supplied, but in different material.
Although I enjoyed building the kits, I also got satisfaction from making improvements along the way, that's what makes them individual.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

RMurphy195
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RMurphy195 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks for the link Peter.

I love the results of your work, but it's clear that I need quite a bit more modelling skills before I attempt to build this type of kit!

As well as the "trial" laser cut kits from LSH I also bought a couple of resin kits from Swift Sixteen, apart from being more my level I suspect they might be a bit more robust in use.

Thanks again - Richard