Port Douglas Tramway Open Wagon

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Port Douglas Tramway Open Wagon

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:21 pm

The latest wagon to emerge from the works, a Port Douglas Tramway open wagon. The prototype was built to carry 4T of bagged raw sugar from mill to port. One is now preserved at ANGRMS. We use it as a ballast wagon, though it's not ideal for the job, as it's all to easy to overload. We've had to replace some of the suspension in the past, because of this.

The model has working brass hinges and catches, and will also serve primarily as a ballast wagon. Construction is styrene, painted with red oxide primer from the hardware shop, and Tamiya's Flat Black. Weathered with Tamiya acrylics, washed and drybrushed, in addition to being given the iron powder and vinegar treatment.

Wheelsets, axleboxes and couplings are from IP Engineering. Holes were drilled in one pair of wheels, as currently fitted under the prototype.

Fine iron powder, sprayed with vinegar after application, makes for an easy, yet unbeatable method to replicate surface rust.
I don't know how long this method has existed, but it you've not tried it, I described it in the my tipper wagon build blog article.

The retaining pins are 0.8mm diameter dressmaker's pins, and require needle-nose pliers to insert and remove. Needless to say, I intend very rarely to use them - but wanted the option available nonetheless.

Comparing with the prototype, the door hinges, rivets and axleboxes aren't quite perfect, but they'll do.

The ballast stockpile at Woodford - spot the model.

More navvy stock is planned..

Regards,
Aaron
Last edited by Old Man Aaron on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: Port Douglas Tramway Open Wagon

Post by LNR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:52 am

Sounds like you have many interesting 12" to the foot prototypes to model from. The rust on the inside of your model is the best I've seen. I do like doors and things to open, if your modelling the bits why not make them work!
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:32 am

I am glad you are no longer lurking Aaron as this wagon is exactly the sort of thing I would of wanted when I had my railway.

The rust fooled me, I thought the whole wagon was made from metal initially!

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 am

Cheers, gents. That iron powder is magic stuff. I'm continually amazed at it's ability to save me from my own lack of weathering experience. :roll:
Part of the reason for building this, was to supplement my other two open wagons in building the next tramway.. Couple more months, and I can get started...
Last edited by Old Man Aaron on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 am

Aaron, could I ask your source for the iron power, I used to get mine from the surface grinder at work but that is no longer available to me.
thanks in advance.
Grant.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:45 am

No worries, Grant. I got mine from EvilBay, though a chemical supplier. That 100g packet was a few years back, and goes a very long way. But I'm running low and couldn't find that supplier again. Just bought some the other day, though I only bought another 100g as I don't know how fine this particular stuff is.
When it arrives - sometime from tomorrow through Monday - I'll advise weather it's fine enough for our purposes. Anyway, here's the link.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultra-Fine- ... 2749.l2649
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:38 am

Thanks for the link Aaron, I await your say so as to suitability.
Grant.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 pm

What a fantastic model! And I agree, the rust is brilliant - I've tried it a few times but have yet to achieve results that good...

I shall follow the link you posted to read more...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:06 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 pm
I shall follow the link you posted to read more...
I just did, and found a whole blog! Excellent! Should it come to it any period of self-isolation will fly by...

Meant to say, I loved the detail of drilling just one pair of wheels, I really enjoy that sort of thing. It goes almost unnoticed, but it's really satisfying just to know it's there...

Cheers,

Andrew.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:36 pm

Looking at the inside of that wagon no one would guess that is was made from styrene!

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Well thanks, Andrew. If you or anyone else has any notes or criticisms of the blog, I'd certainly be interested in hearing them. I know my writing and photography tends to drag on at times, it's something I'm working on improving.

Anyways, the iron powder arrived today. On the left is the old powder, new to right. Far too coarse for me, unfortunately. Resembles very fine sand.
IMG_7059.JPG
IMG_7059.JPG (253.51 KiB) Viewed 6286 times

After a hit with the vinegar. Used too much vinegar, causing the fine stuff to clump a bit.
IMG_7060.JPG
IMG_7060.JPG (241.72 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
I really need more of the old dusty consistency, as it allows one to "streak" the iron and blend it with the surrounding area, as if using weathering powders. I'll hang onto this new stuff, it should be fine for representing those reallycrusty, "slabs of rust dropping off" things. I just ordered another, different packet from a supplier in Pommyland, and will report back here again when it eventually arrives..
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Feel free to write as much as possible Aaron!

As long as long posts are accompanied with photos or even videos then that works for me.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 pm

A report with a road test, very thorough thanks Aaron.
Grant.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:13 am

I'm a bit late, but the second packet of iron powder, from the other supplier, arrived last week. It's the same dusty consistency as my old dwindling packet as seen at top left of my last reply.

Here'sthe stuff. They also sell it in 500g and 1kg packets.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works