Tralee & Dingle cattle wagon

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Tralee & Dingle cattle wagon

Post by ge_rik » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Who says there are no bargains at GR Fairs these days? I picked up this rather magnificent model at Llanfair on the Sunday for the princely sum of £20.
DSCI3192.JPG
DSCI3192.JPG (104.44 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
DSCI3193.JPG
DSCI3193.JPG (124.29 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
DSCI3195.JPG
DSCI3195.JPG (173.1 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
DSCI3196.JPG
DSCI3196.JPG (130.18 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
I was told it was a 10mm scale model of a Tralee & Dingle cattle wagon. It was 32mm gauge but I felt it would be relatively easy to regauge and re-wheel which turned out to be so.

It's slightly over-sized in comparison with my homebuilt W&LLR cattle wagon, but to my mind not noticeably so. It's beautifully constructed in wood with plenty of wonderful details. Any ideas if it's a scratchbuild or made from a kit??? I would certainly be happy to have another to keep it company if it is a kit.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Tralee & Dingle cattle wagon

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:36 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 pm Possibly an IP Engineering kit?

https://www.ipenginnering.com/product-p ... -wagon-kit
Blimey! £90 seems steep, especially for IP stuff? Better start saving up Rik.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:41 pm

I don't think it's the IP kit. That has a lot of brake gear detail which this model lacks - unless the builder decided not to bother constructing those details which seems odd given the amount of effort which has gone into the bodywork.

Rik
PS - Yes, I blanched at the thought of forking out £90 for just one wagon. I think my entire rake of nine Snailbeach tipplers cost about that to construct - but then they're not as highly detailed! :cry:
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:02 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:12 pm Who says there are no bargains at GR Fairs these days? I picked up this rather magnificent model at Llanfair on the Sunday for the princely sum of £20.
The universe is full of coincidences, I found a copy of Dave Rowlands book 'The Dingle Train' in a local bookshop for much the same money last week........

The model is nicely made, but I do hope there is a tin of grey paint with it's name on it somewhere. :shock:

The model looks a bit big to be a 10mm scale model. FWIW, the drawing of a Dingle Pickering cattle wagon gives the body dimensions as 14’6” long, by 6’6” wide and 9’ high from rail level. Unless Welsh cows are markedly smaller than than the ones on the other side of the Irish sea, a T&D cattle wagon should be around the same size as a W&L one, just a bit wider.

Regards,
Graeme

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:19 pm

Comparing your photos with the one on the IP site, I agree they're not quite the same, but they certainly share the same prototype.
There's a lot of strapping detail on there, but if you went for a shallower relief like the IP photo, I would suggest they're ripe for a resin casting like you used for some of your early wagons. (I never forget anything I've read in your blog!).