I.P engineering open wagon feedback

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Simon
Cleaner
Cleaner

I.P engineering open wagon feedback

Post by Simon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Good afternoon.

I’ve built a few IP kits the most recent being a GVT open coach and the quality, in my view, is ok but not great. I am wishing to build some further open wagons and wondered if anyone has built their open wagon from their freelance goods range.

I know the inside doesn’t have any planking and the website mentions a chassis that can be bolted together. I suspect this is wrong as I believe the early design has a white metal chassis which is no longer the case.

So has anyone built some recently and are they any good? Also are they still Ply or now MDF?

Thanks

Simon

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: I.P engineering open wagon feedback

Post by Keith S » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:15 pm

I've built a few of the "freelance" ones. They run very freely with the steel axles in brass bushes. There isn't any planking detail inside, although I drew planks in one of them and used different shades of woo stain to represent planks, which I think looks pretty convincing. I also build the box wagon, which WAS MDF, but I think he's switched back to plywood since then.

I've recently added the extra frame irons kit to mine as well as the little hand-brake detail kit that IP sells separately. I think they are pretty good sturdy models. Other than a Brandbright coach, all my rolling stock is IP, so I have little to compare them to I guess, but I like them.
IMG_2867.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg (134.15 KiB) Viewed 3949 times

Simon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:12 pm

Thank you very useful, and your wagons look great! Did you make the frame irons?

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks, and no I purchased the "frame irons" package from IP. He sells many little detail bits in white metal to supplement the basic kits.

To be honest I quite like the IP kit range. They do lend themselves to some "upgrading" but I enjoy doing that kind of model-building- glueing little bits on as I acquire them.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:54 am

IP are good, we've used them for years and respond well to any form of painting. They can warp so be careful, serious warping will be sorted out by Ivan if you give him a call.
If you want to finish stock to your liking they provide a good sheet to customise. Really, only Swift Sixteen, Brandbright and Perfect World are better.
Post pics!