W&LLR Brake Van (Lineside Hut kit)

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Paul_A_C
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: W&LLR Brake Van (Lineside Hut kit)

Post by Paul_A_C » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Progress has been slow as I’ve been painting the sides by hand. It really is a case of watching paint dry as it takes about 90 minutes per side for a single coat. By the time I’d finished the last panel, the first was dry!
F57A4659-FAF4-42A8-9D48-30CB0CFB061D.jpeg
F57A4659-FAF4-42A8-9D48-30CB0CFB061D.jpeg (95.08 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
I think there’s a typo in the instructions. In setting out the position of the split pins that hold the door upper guide rail, 50mm of the copper wire is to be cut. I made it 90mm for the door to work correctly in the lower channel. I used 1.4mm hard brass wire instead of the copper as I’m my opinion, it’s too soft.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:07 am

I've been following the build with interest. A fascinating insight into how to kitbuild with finesse. I'm not sure I have the dexterity or expertise (or sufficiently unchubby fingers) to handle such delicate parts, but the way you have documented the build does help to inspire.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Paul_A_C
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_A_C » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am

Thanks Rik. I’m completely self taught model kit assembly wise, except I do have a grade 1 ‘O’ level woodwork! Dad was a carpenter and joiner and had done some cabinet making as well. So I suppose I do have some training. Ask me to sketch or paint a picture though and I’m hopeless.

Apart from the thickness issue with the ends and the windows, which was quickly sorted by Simon at Lineside Hut, all the parts are crisp and accurate. The instructions are a bit wobbly in places, but not the worst I’ve seen in 30 years plus of building kits in 7mm and 16mm scale. The brake van would be a tricky scratch build because of the outside framing with the multitude of triangles. The ends are pretty interesting as well. So the kit will for me provide a better quality finish.

I’d definitely buy another Lineside Hut kit. The WLLR cattle vans and sheep wagons would be good candidates as again they are tricky to build from scratch. I’m going to buy components next, to scratchbuild 3 WLLR open wagons as they are quite simple in comparison.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:42 am

Paul_A_C wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am I’m completely self taught model kit assembly wise,............
Ask me to sketch or paint a picture though and I’m hopeless.........

I’d definitely buy another Lineside Hut kit. I’m going to buy components next.....
Paul, that could so easily be me talking, I have been involved with fine art (framing and display) all my life but couldn't draw or paint at all.
My second order from Lineside hut arrived in the post this morning and I am about to make 2x two wheel carriages from one four compartment side and end pack.
My first attempt has been a success, I think....
IMG_5815.JPG
IMG_5815.JPG (111.8 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Paul_A_C wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am Thanks Rik. I’m completely self taught model kit assembly wise, except I do have a grade 1 ‘O’ level woodwork!
Hey, I can top that! My one and only A Level was in Technical Drawing (Grade C). Quite useful for marking-up but not a whole lot of use for anything else these days with CAD. :?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:42 am
Paul_A_C wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am I’m completely self taught model kit assembly wise,............
Ask me to sketch or paint a picture though and I’m hopeless.........

I’d definitely buy another Lineside Hut kit. I’m going to buy components next.....
Paul, that could so easily be me talking, I have been involved with fine art (framing and display) all my life but couldn't draw or paint at all.
My second order from Lineside hut arrived in the post this morning and I am about to make 2x two wheel carriages from one four compartment side and end pack.
My first attempt has been a success, I think....
IMG_5815.JPG

Now that is a very nice build indeed Peter.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:16 am

Like other members, I have been following your build Paul and I have to say what a brilliant job you are doing…so envious of your skills…..

Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dasher » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 pm

Both builds are very impressive. I'm battling with the windows in a Pendle Valley Engine Shed at the moment - I already know that they are not going to end up looking anything like as well finished as yours!