Good Beginners Rolling stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Good Beginners Rolling stock

Post by Mitch stack » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:45 am

Hi Guys Its Nearly Christmas over here in Australia and i am Looking for some advice on good beginners Rolling stock Kits to build to go with my Mamod loco.
Is the IP engineering Ezee range hinged door coal wagons good and easy kits to build? if they are i am looking into getting two of them a IP brake van. here are the ones i am looking into Buying.

Mitch.
Attachments
tn_DSC04938.JPG
tn_DSC04938.JPG (10.5 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
tn_DSC04934.JPG
tn_DSC04934.JPG (9.49 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Good Beginners Rolling stock

Post by GTB » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 am

Mitch stack wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:45 am Is the IP engineering Ezee range hinged door coal wagons good and easy kits to build?
The IP Ezee range have only a few parts and fit together well, so are easy to build, but also make up into neat models if you put a bit of care into them. They are small models, so are better suited to a Mamod/MSS loco.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that the parts don't interlock like some other kits, so more care is needed to keep corners square and in line. It means less work filling the joints for painting though.....

I kitbashed a couple of little railmotors and a works train using kits from the IP Ezee range when I first moved into garden scale and don't recall losing my temper with the kits during assembly. :roll:

I used Titebond yellow wood glue for assembly in preference to superglue, it takes longer, but is less likely to let go and convert the model back to a kit if dropped.

I think Ivan is using plywood again for his kits, so it will pay to fill the wood grain before painting. A 250ml tin of Feast Watson brand sanding sealer from Bunnings will do a lot of kits. Two coats sanded smooth with a sanding block between coats, before painting, worked for me. The cut edges may need a bit more attention, especially if the kits are made from MDF, which absorbs sealer and paint like a sponge.

Being very basic kits, they are a good base for practicing a bit of detailing, especially things like bolt heads and strapping on the open wagon. Use small pins for bolts and either thin polystyrene, or card with a couple of coats of sanding sealer, for strapping.

Have fun....... ;)

Graeme

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:18 pm

They should suit your needs well.
Binnie wagons would be another choice. There is a little known garden railway law (No. 158/44/a section 428) that states any person who calls himself a garden railway man/woman/person/non-gender specific individual/hamster, must own at least 1 Binnie Tipper.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks for the tips on the IP kits i am going to get 2 IP hinged door Coal wagons a Guards van to go with them and a Garden rail subscription.
Mitch

f.schulz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by f.schulz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Hallo,

another possibility is to take small wagons from Swift Sixteen, made from resin, more easy to built than IP wagons. I own both and would recomend the resin ones.

Suits good to Mamod or MSS lokos.

Frederic

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 am

A bit of a blatant plug but why not have a look at Harecroft for some simple to build kits? All are scale, prototypical wagons with non-obtrusive tabbing (meaning no filling) and although they have a lot of detail parts, you can put on as many or as few as you please. I would recommend any of the range apart from the Lead Hopper which is a bit more difficult. www.harecroft.co.uk

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:18 am

Thanks for the sugeeston im going to get the IP kits because of there looks and diffculty to build.
Mitch.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:45 pm

TTHLRMatt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 am A bit of a blatant plug but why not have a look at Harecroft for some simple to build kits? All are scale, prototypical wagons with non-obtrusive tabbing (meaning no filling) and although they have a lot of detail parts, you can put on as many or as few as you please. I would recommend any of the range apart from the Lead Hopper which is a bit more difficult. www.harecroft.co.uk
I'll echo that - the Birkhill has great detailed but easy kit to put together - see my photo - https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11422

I'm no woodwork expert! - all thumbs - and Matt will personalise the lettering on the side
Where did I put that uncoupler?