IP brake van

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: IP brake van

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:11 pm

That is looking nice, did you find it easier the more you did? It's finding a method that works for you. I can't honestly say I find it therapeutic but it is rewarding to see some texture emerging on a slab of wood or plasticard.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Thank you Gentlemen.

A bit more work progress, sprayed grey last night. I wanted a very rough, aged finish so I didn't mix the paint particularly well before I sprayed it. This gives quite a mottled effect with different tones across the body. Two planks I masked up to keep the grey off, these were then toned down a bit with mucky thinners. a few other planks were painted with a slightly different colour to represent repairs. A quick roughen up in a couple of patches, followed by some brown to give it some rotten areas (paint still a bot wet, hence the slightly shiny appearance)

I don't know if I am going to bother picking out the strapping in black, I can't see that the PMR would waste time and paint on doing this. Although the bolt heads on the two bare wood planks will be picked out in silver as new fastenings would have been used.

As for the poster....
It would appear that the PMR's cash saving, no clock policy has backfired in a rather unfortunate way.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:26 am

Bit hard using a sundial while rounding a curve though. Still laughing!!!
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 am

Surely if you provided company pocket watches this hilarious practice would cease?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 am

Wow - great job Jim!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:26 pm

A bit of progress over the last few days. I thought i needed to have a look at it in daylight, rather than under florescent tubes.
I did manage a few hours in the shed last night but didn't take any pictures.

Rust, repairs, rot and algae, the PMR standard.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Looking very good Jim.

Psst... shouldn't there be some round things underneath it? :lol:
Philip

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Knew I had forgotten something....
Once it's all done on top the running gear will go on.
I haven't decided on whether or not vacuum brakes will be fitted.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Bet your pleased with that Jim. Top job so far.
Grant.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 am

Lovely finish Jim. I love the repair planks and that greenish tinge on the lower base, really effective.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi Jim,

It really is a super job. This is another project I'm really enjoying. Every update brings something else to admire. Well done.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
I did wonder if this was going to be another kit that gets started and abandoned. But I have rather taken to it.
The interior won't be detailed too much but will contain a few odds and ends as it will be lit.
I need to work out brake gear and decide if the PMR has thought it nessercery to follow the board of trade's recommendations on continous train brakes.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Don't forget that the BOT required continuous brake on passenger and NPCCS trains, but goods trains ran loose coupled except for a few exalted fast freights. I still remember strings of loose coupled 16T BR open clanking along at 25 - 30 mph delivering house coal to various local stations until BR got the bright idea of building coal concentration depots in the late 1970s, and requiring the use of modern high capacity bottom discharge wagons. The CCDs were not a huge success as most coal merchants hadn't the money to play along, and as a result a lot of the domestic coal traffic went to road transport. Funnily enough, my home town got most of its house coal by barge with railway coal traffic finishing early - about 1964. Most of the other small towns in the area, e.g. Brigg & Gainsborough - still had coal yards by the station supplied by 16 tonners.

Cheers,
Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Non vacuum it is then. Thanks Peter.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:11 pm

On the other hand, some of the Irish NG lines had fitted goods stock, usually roadside lines, and those with nasty gradients - Castlederg, Tralee and Dingle, County Donegal, Clogher Valley, and to some extent the Schull and Skibbereen. Those lines that had about a 50-50 split between wagons that were braked and those that were merely piped. However, the Ballymena and Larne operated loose coupled goods trains on the long bank out of Larne Town which was 1 in 37/41 all the way. Fitted goods wagons were relatively rare on NG lines in Britain, though.

The Isle of Man, with no Lock, Block, and Brake Act, ran passenger trains at quite high speeds without continuous brakes until the late 1980s. Continuous brakes had been fitted in the late 1920s but were found to considerably increase the amount of steam used by the locomotives, so were quietly abandoned. One further oddity is that within sets of carriages the unused vacuum bags were usually coupled up to keep them out of the way. Most heavy passenger trains had a guard plus a head-end brakeman, but I am not sure how effective the carriage brakes were. Certainly station approaches on the IOM are a lot less gingerly done than they used to be! It seemed that fitting the right sized cones eventually solved the steam consumption issue with the vacuum brakes.

Cheers,
Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks for the information Peter. I suppose it could be argued that most ng lines in the UK were built for very different reasons to those in Ireland.
To carry a specific freight rather than as a common carrier. This suggests that although some passengers were carried they were to all intents, industrial systems.
Before bricks start being lugged my way I will add...
With notable execeptions.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:48 am

The Irish lines were an odd collection in some respects. The Donegal, the Swilly, and the Ballymena lines were common carrier which happened to be 3' gauge, though two of the four started out as IBG branch lines. The Cork, Blackrock and Passage was also originally IBG, but was a suburban branch with fairly intensive (hourly plus at times) passenger service. After conversion to 3' it retained its suburban character, and even sported a length of double track mainline. In terms of traffic density and bias towards passenger work it is the closest to the Isle of Man Railway of the Irish lines. Most of the rest were cheaply built local common carriers - i.e. Light Railways - built under the terms of the 1883 Tramways and Corporations (Ireland) Act. Some were very definitely Tramways - the Clogher Valley, the Skull and Skibbereen, and the Tralee and Dingle; others were hybrids, such as the Cavan and Leitrim, and the Cork and Muskerry! On the other hand, the West Clare, like later sections of the Donegal and the Swilly, were built under the 1883 Act and its successors, but were more along the lines of normal NG common carrier railways taking advantage of the various tramways acts for their financial structure. There were a few lines built to IBG under the Tramways Act. The Dublin and Blessington is perhaps the best remembered of these, followed by the little line from Courtmacsherry to Timoleague. It is a rather fascinating mix, and certainly enough to leave folks scratching their heads at times! With the exception of the Ballymena lines mineral traffic was not a major factor for any of them at the time of their opening, though the C&L became a serious coal carrier after 1919.

In some respects, the British lines are a bit more unified in origin. Mineral traffic was a major factor all the way through from the Penrhyn Tramway through to the Ashover. The nearest equivalent to the Irish lines is the Southwold Railway, followed by the Welshpool and Llanfair, whilst the Lynton and Barnstaple was the product of a specific local needs, and the geography.

Peter in Va.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 pm

A little more progress on this van,
A brake standard was purchased at Exeter so the inside is complete, there is no need to detail it too much as it won't be seen even with it lit up as the windows are small and only three work.
The wheels are now on and the brake gear and roof will be next.

I am wondering if I should fit steps to it as it looks a little high to clamber into.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Steps or running boards :thumbup:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Running boards might be the best as it will mean much of the brake gear is hidden.