Rolling stock of the SVLR (Swansea Vale Light Railway)

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: Rolling stock of the SVLR (Swansea Vale Light Railway)

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:07 pm

That's looking very nice indeed! There's a kind of neatness to it that just "works"...

I did a little laser cutting a while back, but have completely forgotten it all! I'll have to brush up on the stuff I learned back then so I can have another go - some of my files are a little untidy and in need of tidying up before I can cut from them, but I'll have to re-learn the software first! Your 3D printing looks great too - are you using freely available software? You've inspired me to get back into CAD...

All the best,

Andrew.

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:17 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 am Thats an amazing way of doing your roofs Jon, did you do it in go...... :scratch:

I am like you also Jon, only been doing railways for about 5 years, 2 on 16mm. No idea about how the daily runnings were...... :lol: :lol:
Yes did roof in one go. I pre-bent the ply a bit just using my hands. I then put it in the vice on its own and tightened the vice until it curved the approximate amount. I had already glued the roof frame together, it was simply a matter of offering this up to the bent roof ply and pegging it with clothes pegs on the centre strut. I have always used Zap cyano with my RC aircraft so used that. I squirted it along the joints, left it a few seconds to wick into the joint then used kicker to set, it worked a treat.

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:07 pm That's looking very nice indeed! There's a kind of neatness to it that just "works"...

I did a little laser cutting a while back, but have completely forgotten it all! I'll have to brush up on the stuff I learned back then so I can have another go - some of my files are a little untidy and in need of tidying up before I can cut from them, but I'll have to re-learn the software first! Your 3D printing looks great too - are you using freely available software? You've inspired me to get back into CAD...

All the best,

Andrew.
Thanks for the kind comments Andrew.

I use techsoft 2D Design for the 2D stuff, it's clunky but works even if it is a bit dated. I have started to use Graphite which is excellent.

For 3D stuff I use Autodesk Fusion 360, I think this is free now to home users although I might be wrong. I then print using a Prusa I2S.

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:33 pm

First run of my new scratch built coach, I coupled it with two of my other scratch builds and a Binnie granite wagon. The test was successful under the power of my Little John AKA Loco No 4 'Eryri' Time to draw a few more coaches to go with the 3rd class coach.

ImageDSC00364 by Jonathan Demery, on Flickr

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 pm

So in lockdown, I am back to laying track and pottering with things Garden Rail related. On my weekly shopping expedition, I decided to not take the main routes and go via the 'old road' I have driven this many times and have never noticed this NG coal wagon. Methinks I might take my daily walk past it with a tape measure sometime. This is just a quick phone pic while parked opposite. Reckon I might not have noticed before as this time I had to pull over to let an Amazon van pass. I am thinking model the tub in fusion (with dents!) then 3D print.
Image20200422_102035-2 by Jonathan Demery, on Flickr

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:32 am

Would make a great wagon that. Funny how we miss things when we are out..

Well some of us who are able.... :( :( :(