Rolling stock of the SVLR (Swansea Vale Light Railway)

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Rolling stock of the SVLR (Swansea Vale Light Railway)

Post by SVLR » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:19 am Nice job on your Granite wagon. :thumbright:
Thank you, need to get the coupling sorted next and then on to painting another 2. They are incredible value for money and build up easily.

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:39 pm

More progress today with the 4 wheel coach. Glued in the painted interior end panels and floor, these both have laser engraved planking effect. Glazing was added using OHP film and the interior walls laser cut from birch ply were glued in place. I have not fixed the seats in situ yet, will do that once I have sorted the removable roof. I downloaded a couple of vintage railway posters and made frames out of stained birch ply, glazing with them was also OHP film. Transfers are from Railroad models. Tomorrow I plan to add the 3D printed door handles and coach end steps.

Image20190125_205824 by Jonathan Demery, on Flickr

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:47 am

Coming along well. Looking forward to seeing it with the added detail.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:38 am

Nice job on the detailing Jon. It's a really fine looking coach.. :thumbright:

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Glued the birch ply roof cladding to the frame today, rather than jigging it I decided to experiment. I clamped the ply in the vice and tightened it to get the desired curve. I then placed the roof frame in the correct position before wicking Zap into the joins and then kicking it.
Image20190127_154900 by Jonathan Demery, on Flickr

Given the roof the first coat of Halfords bumper paint, once weathered I will spray it with matt varnish. I also added my 3D printed door handles today which have been given a coat of gold paint to look like brass.
Image20190127_160504 by Jonathan Demery, on Flickr

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:13 pm

Those door handles are amazing. Did they need much cleaning up? How do you print objects that small, it always causes me major grief.
Philip

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:57 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:13 pm Those door handles are amazing. Did they need much cleaning up? How do you print objects that small, it always causes me major grief.
I was surprised too, printed them in PLA no cleaning needed. The shaft was 3mm D and the spigot that fits into a hole in the carriage side was 2mm D, they were printed as modelled then given a coat of Plasticote gold rattle can spray which was bargain price in B&M. Very happy with the outcome.

I did contemplate modelling them on a sprue to make printing easier. Need to model some coach end steps and roof detail now.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:35 am

Lovely job all round.

One tiny point, though. I think you need to mount the door handles with the head of the T horizontal not vertical. I do not remember ever seeing a closed and secured door with the handle vertical in all my years of tootling around in slam door stock with construction dates anywhere from 1881 to 1981!

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:20 am

IrishPeter wrote: ↑Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:35 am Lovely job all round.

One tiny point, though. I think you need to mount the door handles with the head of the T horizontal not vertical. I do not remember ever seeing a closed and secured door with the handle vertical in all my years of tootling around in slam door stock with construction dates anywhere from 1881 to 1981!

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Thanks Peter, will do that as they are only push fitted so far, still learning about railways up to a few years ago all I ever modelled were aircraft.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 am

Thats an amazing way of doing your roofs Jon, did you do it in go...... :scratch:

I am like you also Jon, only been doing railways for about 5 years, 2 on 16mm. No idea about how the daily runnings were...... :lol: :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:07 pm

That's looking very nice indeed! There's a kind of neatness to it that just "works"...

I did a little laser cutting a while back, but have completely forgotten it all! I'll have to brush up on the stuff I learned back then so I can have another go - some of my files are a little untidy and in need of tidying up before I can cut from them, but I'll have to re-learn the software first! Your 3D printing looks great too - are you using freely available software? You've inspired me to get back into CAD...

All the best,

Andrew.

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:17 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 am Thats an amazing way of doing your roofs Jon, did you do it in go...... :scratch:

I am like you also Jon, only been doing railways for about 5 years, 2 on 16mm. No idea about how the daily runnings were...... :lol: :lol:
Yes did roof in one go. I pre-bent the ply a bit just using my hands. I then put it in the vice on its own and tightened the vice until it curved the approximate amount. I had already glued the roof frame together, it was simply a matter of offering this up to the bent roof ply and pegging it with clothes pegs on the centre strut. I have always used Zap cyano with my RC aircraft so used that. I squirted it along the joints, left it a few seconds to wick into the joint then used kicker to set, it worked a treat.

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:07 pm That's looking very nice indeed! There's a kind of neatness to it that just "works"...

I did a little laser cutting a while back, but have completely forgotten it all! I'll have to brush up on the stuff I learned back then so I can have another go - some of my files are a little untidy and in need of tidying up before I can cut from them, but I'll have to re-learn the software first! Your 3D printing looks great too - are you using freely available software? You've inspired me to get back into CAD...

All the best,

Andrew.
Thanks for the kind comments Andrew.

I use techsoft 2D Design for the 2D stuff, it's clunky but works even if it is a bit dated. I have started to use Graphite which is excellent.

For 3D stuff I use Autodesk Fusion 360, I think this is free now to home users although I might be wrong. I then print using a Prusa I2S.

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:33 pm

First run of my new scratch built coach, I coupled it with two of my other scratch builds and a Binnie granite wagon. The test was successful under the power of my Little John AKA Loco No 4 'Eryri' Time to draw a few more coaches to go with the 3rd class coach.

ImageDSC00364 by Jonathan Demery, on Flickr

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 pm

So in lockdown, I am back to laying track and pottering with things Garden Rail related. On my weekly shopping expedition, I decided to not take the main routes and go via the 'old road' I have driven this many times and have never noticed this NG coal wagon. Methinks I might take my daily walk past it with a tape measure sometime. This is just a quick phone pic while parked opposite. Reckon I might not have noticed before as this time I had to pull over to let an Amazon van pass. I am thinking model the tub in fusion (with dents!) then 3D print.
Image20200422_102035-2 by Jonathan Demery, on Flickr

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:32 am

Would make a great wagon that. Funny how we miss things when we are out..

Well some of us who are able.... :( :( :(