Finally completed

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Big Jim

Finally completed

Post by Big Jim » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 pm

With another house move on the horizon, the shed is about to be packed up and moved again. I am spending my last few weeks in it finishing off kits that I had started and given up on.

I have three methods of kit building.
A) Start to finish as quick as is possible with nothing standing in the way.

B) Plod along slowly, doing a bit at a time.

C) Start, give up, put away for another year.

These two were both category C kits.

First we have an IP well wagon, I was looking forwards to building this one but it proved a complete pig to built and keep in once piece. It was acquired second hand but upstarted.
The design does not lend itself to strength and it has been repaired and re glued using various adhesives several times. To be honest I don't like the look of it very much, I think it is too wide for 32mm, it may look better with wider bogies on it. Any way it is finished, painted and weathered.
The next one is a Brandbright tipper. I thought this would be a nice kit to built but again the effort needed far outweighed the result. Again it was secondhand and not started. It is a mixed metal kit, brass and whitemetal. I had a few problems getting the brass etched tub sides to fit with the cast whitemetal ends without leaving huge gaps.
It builds into a nice solid model and I know it will run well. However I can't help but think I could have built a dozen Binnie skips in the time it took me to build it.
Last edited by Big Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Finally completed

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Big Jim:123421 wrote:C) Start, give up, put away for another year.
Guilty of this as well!

I like the well wagon, planking looks realistic.

Clean your IMG tags up as well, not doing it for you anymore ;)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:07 pm

All cleaned up Sir

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:19 pm

If the tipper HAD got gaps, it would've been Just Like The Real Thing! (Now where have I heard THAT before??)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Well wagon with load, I still don't like it. I think it may find itself on ebay soon.

This one is a Bachmann tank car kit that I acquired many years ago. It was converted to 32mm but never painted. My younger brother (aged 10 at the time) decided to rectify this and gave it a good going over with humbrol enamel.
I could have stripped it back to the bare plastic but I couldn't be bothered. So it got a quick blast of matt black and now looks nice and grotty. While it is on the large side it doesn't look that out of place behind a large loco.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Big Jim wrote:I had a few problems getting the brass etched tub sides to fit with the cast whitemetal ends without leaving huge gaps
I was recently talking with a fellow 16mm NGM Group member, and that's exactly what he said as well about his kit. Not seen one in the flesh - is this something that could be corrected with by using low melt soft solder (I'm a big fab after using it on an IP Eng whitemetal/brass kit)?

Chris Cairns

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Possibly, the fit problem was more down to the ends being too large and slightly the wrong shape