Experimental Cleminson's...

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Experimental Cleminson's...

Post by AFGadd » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:08 pm

This has been on my mind for a few months now, today I have given myself an hour or two and tried it out.

The object of the exercise is to build a Cleminson's six wheel chassis that would negotiate the 2'6" curve on my garden railway.

I seemed to have cracked it first time, as the chassis seems to traverse my line OK.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-02B3bkDOd0[/video]
Andrew

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Neatly done. Must admit this has been on my todo list for a long time (a very long time). Always fancied making a Southwold 6 wheeled open wagon.

Rik
PS - Interesting you've put the pivots for the outer bogies forward of the axles. I think on the originals the pivot points were over the axles. Either way, it seems to work.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi AFGadd.
This is the the first version of the system i worked on for my NWNG Railways Cleminson model. I know this is for a long coach and yours seems to be for a shorter model but it will give you another modellers solution to the problem. My final version used longer and thinner steel wires and shorter wooden arms than those shown to allow more flexibility on reverse curves such as negotiating sets of points when turning onto a siding that runs parallel to the main line.

The main problem i had to overcome was to allow the first bogie to turn before the second and third and then straighten out again while the others are turning.
Hope this gives you more food for thought.

David.
David T.