ANLR scratchbuilt wagons

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

ANLR scratchbuilt wagons

Post by laalratty » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Here are a couple of little projects that were started when I had nothing to do, and have only preceeded slowly as a result. Both are from wood offcuts from the scratchbuilt coaches.
This open wagon was started about 1 1/2 years ago. It was to similar dimensions to the IP open wagons, as I wanted to see whether I could churn a few of these out to save me from buying them all as kits. As it happens, this was the only one started, and it has spent a long time sitting in my bedroom virtually complete in primer whilst I thought how to do the strapping. I have now decided to base the strapping on that used on the free junior wagon given to 16mm association members. Since the photo was taken, I have fitted the strapping and hinges, made from strips of card and cocktail sticks.
This strange vehical is even longer in the waiting, however it is now ready to join the ANLR permanant way train. The idea is the the crate carrys tools, whilst the flatbed is for stacking sleepers. Again made from wood offcuts, with IP small bogies and multi height couplers to allow it to couple to my Binnie bolster set for carrying rail. Add an open wagon for ballast and the Permanant way van (when completed) and I will have a neat little permanant way train for the ANLR.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Looking good. I have a load of coopercraft wheels that I got off ebay that I am intending to make into wagons.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:06 am

I do like the bogie wagon, it's going to be a cracking little train.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm

The open wagon has now been finished, and looks nice with my 3 IP 4 wheelers
The strapping is strips of carboard, some of which was delaminated to make thinner strips for the strapping round the hinges, which are short lengths of cocktail stick. The corner and end strapping is brass angle. The rivet detailing (all 32 of them on the side strapping-i'm turning into a rivet counter :help: ) is peco track pins for 00 gauge. The wagon is finished in the same grey undercoat as my other open wagons.
Keep an eye on the rolling stock forum over the next week, I sent an order off to IP engineering on Thursday. Anyone guess what i've ordered? :D (SLRmidge and LMSjools your barred from this :twisted: )
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."