Ffestiniog Brake

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Ffestiniog Brake

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Yesterday was our local, annual, Toy and Train Fair, which I always attend looking for useful items. This year I found some 16mm scale figures, which are always useful, and one sorry looking Ffestiniog Guard's Van. The stallholder didn't know what scale it was or anything about it.
How could I resist? The price was right and it was obviously made from a reasonable kit. However..... once I started to look at it with a view to bring it up to scratch I discovered how much work was involved.
It is a plywood kit with laser cut matchboard sides. I think the manufacturers missed an opportunity when they made the sides showing vertical planks but horizontal woodgrain from the plywood material used. That was only the first issue with the kit. The major problem was that it had been put together by a partially sighted gorilla, after a night out with the boys, in the dark, wearing oven gloves, using several types of adhesives (except the correct ones) and finished by immersing in a bucket of gloss paint and smoothed with a toilet brush. Still, it was worth rescuing rather than see it go to landfill! Now, I don't do kits as I scratch-build everything, so this is a new area for me. I began by thinking a light sanding and repaint would solve all of its problems, however, this soon became a major rebuild project as bits of it gradually became detached resulting in it returning to a kit of parts. It was at this stage I discovered the inner card sheets with cut out windows so that the hideous mess of double sided tape holding the glazing in place was hidden beneath. The two arched supports for the roof were set between these sheets without taking into account the additional thickness of the sides which now bowed out alarmingly. When the whitemetal axleboxes fell off it was discovered that three of four brass bearings were missing.
The steel wheels and axles are OK!

This is how the underside of the floor had been painted...

So reconstruction has begun and the four sides and base are currently setting using PVA and being held together with clamps. The paint has been sanded and all of the laser lines have been re-cut with a Stanley knife blade to remove the gunge. The window frames have been painted before setting back into the sides, when they too have been repainted.
The balcony railings are missing so I need to make new ones.
As work progresses I will show more...
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Ffestiniog Brake

Post by GTB » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:58 am

Peter Butler:115205 wrote:I think the manufacturers missed an opportunity when they made the sides showing vertical planks but horizontal woodgrain from the plywood material used.
I suspect laser cutters are more interested in fitting in as many parts per sheet as possible, but like you, it irritates me as well. It makes it very hard if you want to scribe in more boards for instance.....

Could be worse, there'd be even more work if the kit was cut from MDF, which I flat refuse to work with......
Now, I don't do kits as I scratch-build everything, so this is a new area for me.
Consider it as gorilla assisted scratchbuilding....... ;)

At least they have filled the woodgrain for you, but gluggy gloss paint isn't the best sanding sealer out there.

I've restored old toy trains that looked like they'd been repainted with old house paint using a fence brush and one that appeared to have been sprayed by flicking paint off an old toothbrush, but I've never seen anything like that floor. :roll:

I've found that after scribing lines in ply with a suitable knife, drawing a fine Xacto razor saw along the line gives a better defined line and cleans crud out of the groove.

Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion as me, it's quicker and easier to scratchbuild once you aquire the skills. You get exactly what you want, not a compromise that at the end of it all is still a pig's ear, masquerading as a silk purse. I've bashed my last kit I think, my current project is scratcbuilt in real wood and polystyrene sheet.

Regards,
Graeme

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:35 am

Oh my word, - what did they do to the poor thing!

That is going to be a challenge alright, but I'm sure you're equal to the task Peter :)
What has Reality done for you lately?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm sure some good o'l IPA will get that off!
Looks like an IP kit to me, should be easy to assemble one everything is flat!
I'm building up a Brandbright kit of the same model as we speak! What livery were you thinking for yours? Mine shall be green when it is finished.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Yeah, I think it's the IP one too, I just compared it with my Brandbright one. If it is the seller was probably right to be unsure of the scale - isn't this one of IP's ones "scaled" to suit RH etc locos, so rather larger than 16mm? I'm sure you'll make a lovely job of it Peter, although I'd agree that you've got your work cut out!

Have fun,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:20 pm

JMORG.... I wouldn't waste IPA on the kit but it might do wonders for my enthusiasm to complete it!
Green is a good option and would look in keeping with the rest of my stock. I have checked it out on You-tube to see what others are doing and green is certainly favourite there.
Andrew.... the seller didn't know the difference between SM32 and G. He simply described it to me as '0' narrow gauge and was bemused by my attempt to help him differentiate between the two.
To date I have rebuilt the main body, although the bowed sides are still evident. New chassis frames made and balcony flooring, along with replacement buffer beam. New brass bearings in the axleboxes which are now attached to the frames. Windows have been glazed ready for fitting after the repaint of the body.
It is looking better and runs smoothly so just needs the finishing touches.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:03 pm

What a challenge Peter!

That looks like a standard of construction even I could achieve, :oops: come to think of it, it does look familiar - only joking! :roll:

Good luck with the project Peter, I'm sure it will be looking rather special in less time than it takes to gravitate a train of slate wagons from Blaenau to Minfordd!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:10 pm

The reason why this kit is disappointing is the sad fact that Garden modellers never want pay very much for rolling stock kits and a lot only prefer to buy ready made. So the offerings available have always been limited in our hobby.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Today saw the finishing touches to the kit...
Because of its sorry state I have had to get back to the basic components following much preparation to remove detritus from its previous life. The sides, ends and floor were first set, as described above. The original ply strips which held the axleguards were then replaced with plasticard, (that made me feel better!) and a new balcony floor and rear buffer beam fitted. The window frames had been removed before painting the box and glazed individually. The rear two having bars fitted internally. After painting everything inside and out with acrylics, the windows were installed, handrails fitted and a new rear guard-rail made. The roof is the original (plasticard) but now covered with fabric to represent canvas. On the rear platform stands the Guard and a lamp is placed to show the end of the train.
Almost certainly, none of the above is authentic, but it looks so much better than when I bought it and I feel more satisfied with it than I thought I would be.
Size-wise, it is exactly the same height as my Fairlie so I guess the scale is not far wrong?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Very nice indeed - you should be well pleased!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:47 pm

What a transformation! :D
What has Reality done for you lately?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:02 pm

I forgot to mention the brake hoses which are home-made from brazing rod, which gives the impression of flexible hose, covered with heat-shrink for the pipe and plastic tube collars where they join.
Also, the Guard appears to have a huge handlebar moustache.... not so!
It is shadow from his glasses caused by lights over my railway.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:24 am

Looks terrific! I love the toned down green!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:12 am

[quote=" I love the toned down green![/quote]
I like muted colours which look naturalistic. This is one of the acrylic range from Games Workshop, normally used for Wargaming figures etc... The paints are not cheap but are dense with pigment and apply beautifully. Brushing, even over large and flat areas, leaves no brush-strokes. It dries fairly quickly too.

Conclusion......

In future I will stay true to my scratch-building preference over kit building. This has been an interesting project, resurrecting something which was so bad and making it a useful addition to my stock. In the time it took though I could easily have scratch- built. I won't be opening a 16mm scale Rescue Centre anytime soon!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:04 pm

A few years ago there was an economic downturn and this, coupled with the construction of an American "Wal Mart" store that we didn't protest against enough, sounded the death-knell for almost all the nice little shops in my town, including the hobby store. The lone survivor, it turns out is the "Ogre's Lair", which is a store that sells wargaming figurines and things like that. I have always wished I had a reason to go there, because I admire his stubbornness in staying open.

Now I shall go there and buy some paints! Thanks for the tip.