Coaches for the Kotanga Tramway.

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Coaches for the Kotanga Tramway.

Post by tuppenced » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:40 pm

The Tin Van now has a roof (brutally hacked out of the original Accucraft roof on a linisher), plus trial pieces of straight and curved 1/24 scale corrugated, er, aluminium (ticking on with ticky tape):

Tin Van Roof.jpg
Tin Van Roof.jpg (335.65 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
David

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:04 am

Hi David, interesting to see you covering a wagon with corrugated iron. I have considered doing the same, as it typifies VR rolling stock practice. I roll my own corrugated sheet, but it is still susceptible to damage. I wondered if for the roof, you were to mix some auto body filler, lay a thick layer on the roof, then pull the corr. sheet down over it. When set even if it didn't stick the sheet down, it would provide a solid profile to glue the sheet to and stop it being so easily damaged. I haven't tried it myself yet, but figured that's how I would go about it. Graeme (GTB) has used corr. cardboard to great effect, but it too is vulnerable. Perhaps some experimentation is required. Just some thoughts.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:22 am

I'm sure this build is done by way of an experiment to see how such a van can be made, but having gone this far I can't see any purpose in modifying an existing van body when there will be none of it to view when complete. Possibly Mk2 will be a simple ply box clad in corrugated sheet?
Plastic sheet with scale corrugations should be available and be less vulnerable to damage than the thin metallic cladding?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?