(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:20 am

Andrew wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:29 am
Peter Butler wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:09 am Question..... on the 12" scale wagon, with 'bobbins' on the posts, how would the laths be slotted on and what then keeps them in place?
I don't actually know, but there are nuts on the top lath, so I think there's probably a threaded rod that runs all the way through, with the bobbins acting as spacers?
Aha! Here's a picture (from Festipedia) illustrating just that! Looks like the place of the bobbins is being taken by some plastic pipe during construction?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:10 pm

That makes perfect sense in our 21st C. way of doing things but in the mid to late 19th C. I might question the availability of threaded rod. Perhaps a metal bar with threads at either end would be pushed through once the framework has been built (as per the picture) and the (hollow?) bobbins threaded on as it is inserted? Just a guess!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:41 pm

I think I'd agree with Peter ( not that I know!). Quarry workshops could turn out some amazing stuf, so threaded rod may well have been possible, but from a manufacturing cost, time, and simplicity, point of view, cutting a thread on a few inches at each end might make far more sense.
Philip

StuartJ
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by StuartJ » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:51 am

philipy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:41 pm I think I'd agree with Peter ( not that I know!). Quarry workshops could turn out some amazing stuf, so threaded rod may well have been possible, but from a manufacturing cost, time, and simplicity, point of view, cutting a thread on a few inches at each end might make far more sense.
This is the remains of a slab waggon (upside down) rather than a slate waggon, but it shows the concept perfectly. The iron rods are all basically long bolts rather than threaded rods:

Last edited by StuartJ on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:58 am

StuartJ wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:51 am
philipy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:41 pm I think I'd agree with Peter ( not that I know!). Quarry workshops could turn out some amazing stuf, so threaded rod may well have been possible, but from a manufacturing cost, time, and simplicity, point of view, cutting a thread on a few inches at each end might make far more sense.
This is the remains of a slab waggon (upside down) rather than a slate waggon, but it shows the concept perfectly. The iron rods are all basically long bolts rather than threaded rods:

All that lovely rust, mmmmmmm...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:09 am

Last week saw me complete the latest project, the two NWNGR/WHR slate wagons bashed from Lineside Hut kits, and the re-Ffestification of the Binnie kit that was previously representing that type of wagon. And here they are:

Slate wagons 1.jpg
Slate wagons 1.jpg (365.45 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Slate wagons 2.jpg
Slate wagons 2.jpg (352.72 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Slate wagons 3.jpg
Slate wagons 3.jpg (417.83 KiB) Viewed 6040 times

I ought to get back to my carriage projects really, but I find building small wagons awfully distracting, and I could do with a few more WHR ones to make up an authentic train...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:44 am

They all look great Andrew, particularly No. 38 showing years of hard work.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:32 am

Hi all,

More slate wagons underway here, this time on modified Phil Sharples flat wagon kits.

One will have a plastic strip representation of an iron body, using the jig I created for a similar wagon a while ago, and the other will be another all wooden one. Based on the few photos and relatively small amount of information about WHR/NWNGR slate wagons (of which there seemed to be a surprising variety) , both will have dummy "W" iron type axleguards rather than the Ffestiniog or pedestal sort. So far I've modified the chassis and built the bodies:

More slate wagons 2.jpg
More slate wagons 2.jpg (161.29 KiB) Viewed 5794 times

I've also been experimenting with slate loads. I decided that life was a little short to make them, so purchased three sizes of Lineside Hut ones to experiment with modifying them (ie a little "cut and shut") to fit my WHR wagons. I'm pretty pleased with how they came out and will purchase some more in due course. If you look closely you can see the steel screws in the top to allow wagons to be loaded and unloaded with my fancy magnet on a stick device...

Slate load.jpg
Slate load.jpg (288.37 KiB) Viewed 5794 times

I'm hoping to get some time to begin painting the new wagons at the weekend, and to start work on the axleguards, maybe...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:36 am

Nice slate loads Andrew. :thumbright:

The Jig looks brilliant and it seems to make the job of making the wagons a lot faster and easier.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:47 am

Morning all!

Another slate wagon update, I'm afraid - what else do you expect, when the Welsh Highland had about 100 of 'em, and the Ffestiniog over a thousand?! Actually, I think I'm only going to build a few more after these ones, but that's for another time...

For now, here are the latest two:

Slate wagons Feb 23.jpg
Slate wagons Feb 23.jpg (351.33 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

They're based on some grainy and rather unclear photos of original WHR wagons which had "W iron" axleguards, and those horseshoe-shaped bits of strapping (anyone know the name of those?!). Otherwise, they're similar to the ones I've already made.

I couldn't find any suitable axleguards, so I made them from plasticard and wedge-shaped bits of Lego - they're an approximation at best! The "horseshoes" are just nylon washers cut in half.

Slate wagons W Irons.jpg
Slate wagons W Irons.jpg (182.54 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

I was planning to return to carriages, but then came across a picture of an intriguing little dropside wagon, Ffestiniog No 27, which you can see here: http://217.34.233.120:8086/index.php?a= ... 5679046704. It's the only image of this that I've seen, and I don't know of any drawings, but happily it stands next to an early coal wagon, which looks pretty much the same size, other than the height. Even more happily, I was given a Phil Sharples kit for one of those for my birthday last month, so I got to work, by simply cutting off the top two planks:

Oyster Wagon A.jpg
Oyster Wagon A.jpg (332.85 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

I also cut the dropside door out - I don't intend to make it opening, just thought it might look more realistic. I hindsight, I'm not sure it was a great idea, it'll make the whole wagon weaker, and MDF doesn't really like being messed about with, but we'll see...

Intriguingly, the iBase caption refers to this as the "oyster wagon". Some quick research has revealed that there was indeed a trade in oysters from Porthmadog - that seems to have been principally by sea to Liverpool, but I guess some maybe went by rail, being shipped from port to main line via the FR? It appears that oysters were shipped in ice-filled barrels - if those needed to be kept upright, I suppose a dropside wagon would have made it easier?

Or, is it like the "beer wagon", in that there's a photo of it somewhere in which it just happens to be carrying such a load, rather than being designed specifically for the purpose? Does anyone know more?!

Cheers,

Andrew.

StuartJ
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by StuartJ » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm

Interesting. I had seen photos of those dropside waggons before, but I hadn't realised how big they were! I had always assumed they were slate waggon sized.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:03 pm

StuartJ wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm I had always assumed they were slate waggon sized.
I think I assumed it would be smaller too, but it does look about right in comparison to the photo, I think?

I really like this little NWNGR dropside open: http://217.34.233.120:8086/index.php?a= ... GAWTpg/111

I have made a model of it, which is attractive, but not very accurate! I used a Phil Sharples chassis again, but then had to modify the dimensions to suit, so I don't think the proportions are quite right:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:47 am

I like them Andrew. Very nicely weathered too :salute:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:42 am

Really nice collection Andrew, well made and finished.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:51 am

Do you have a "to-do" list of wagonry, or are you just going and going until you've a complete WHR/FR roster in 16mm? :lol:

I don't always comment when I pop back in for a look, but this is one of my favourite threads here. Always an inspiration. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:03 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:51 am Do you have a "to-do" list of wagonry, or are you just going and going until you've a complete WHR/FR roster in 16mm? :lol:

I don't always comment when I pop back in for a look, but this is one of my favourite threads here. Always an inspiration. :salute:
Thanks Aaron, I really appreciate it! I'm looking forward to the time when we see your builds in progress again...

And yep, I have a "to do" list.

It goes something like this, in (very!) rough priority/likelihood order

WHR (or possibly FR?) Meat Van No 1, quarrymen's coach conversion. Probably from an H Jones engineering kit, which I think he's working on now.

WHR bolster pair and runner - maybe based on Phil Sharples flat wagons again.

2 x WHR slate wagons, iron body, wooden chassis, as previously.

WHR bogie flat converted from NWNGR Ashbury brake. This one might jump the queue ahead of the bolsters, either will do for carrying timber.

WHR small open, as previously but with FR type axleboxes, maybe a sand load.

WHR dropside open number 123 - because who wouldn't want a wagon number 123?!

FR flat/slab slate wagon - might jump the queue just because it should be quick!

FR "1000 series" slate wagon - like my previous 2 ton wagons but with different brake gear. Just because I fancy it, really.

NWNGR ridge-roofed van - didn't actually survive until the 20s, but... Possibly based around another PS FR coal wagon kit.

FR Cleminson coal wagon - looking forward to seeing how Peter's turns out...

The other WHR closed van, with the curved tops to the doors.

The other WHR brake van.

FR granite wagon, 3T slate wagon conversion.

And, maybe...

FR "Feldbahn" bogie open

FR crane!

Somewhere about a third of the way through that list I'll have built 50 WHR/FR wagons - I think a goods train running day will be called for!

When that will be is anyone's guess. I've also got about a dozen more carriages to build, including two that are almost finished and really deserve some attention!

Cheers all,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:24 am

Hi all,

In what was record time for me, the "oyster wagon" is now complete:
Oyster wagon finished A.jpg
Oyster wagon finished A.jpg (378.75 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
Oyster wagon finished B.jpg
Oyster wagon finished B.jpg (400.24 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
Oyster wagon finished  C.jpg
Oyster wagon finished C.jpg (374.6 KiB) Viewed 5047 times

I couldn't resist trying to recreate the photo which inspired it (http://217.34.233.120:8086/index.php?a= ... TjNZw/1011):

Oyster wagon finished D.jpg
Oyster wagon finished D.jpg (180.09 KiB) Viewed 5047 times

I think the recreation possibly suggests that the completed wagon is about a scale foot/18" longer than it should be, but that might just be the angle - I should have moved a degree or five to the left to get my recreation spot on, I think, which would have foreshortened the wagons a little...

I've made a barrel load to go inside it, will give a test run at some point...

Cheers,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:49 am

You're getting really good at this Andrew. The wear and tear to the planking is very nice, and subtle weathering is particularly good.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:58 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:24 am

I think the recreation possibly suggests that the completed wagon is about a scale foot/18" longer than it should be, but that might just be the angle - I should have moved a degree or five to the left to get my recreation spot on, I think, which would have foreshortened the wagons a little...
I think you are being too hard on yourself. trying to guess dimensions from angled photos without any real reference points is almost impossible. Looking at the side-on coloured photo of your model, if 16 - 24mm was taken off the length it would be far too short, IMO, and the model looks good and believable to me ( weathering is nice as well :D )
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:55 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:49 am You're getting really good at this Andrew. The wear and tear to the planking is very nice, and subtle weathering is particularly good.
Thank you!

I was thinking that, when - in a few builds time - I get round to my half-century of FR/WHR wagons, I ought to make something I can number "50" and leave it almost "ex works" condition. I'm going to struggle though - I'll be itching to attack it with the sandpaper!