Heavily Weathered Binnie Wagon

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Heavily Weathered Binnie Wagon

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:30 am

Has I mention on Andrew's thread, I said I would show you my weathered Binnie Wagon. I think I went overboard slightly.. :oops: But Anne like it, so that's all that matters really. Keep Anne happy and you never know..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway here it is. I have replaced the wheels with Slater's steel wheels and put some small bits of lead weight under the chassis to add a bit of weight to the wagon. I think they run far to light for us personally. But it's a personal choice. The rust effect was achieved by using various methods with cinnamon, brick dust and pastel chalk sticks. The chalk sticks were crushed and some mixed with the brick dust and some with the cinnamon. I also just used all of the methods separately to see how they worked. I am pleased to say they worked well. I still though am not to happy with the way the wagon looks, I think it's too much, but then I suppose if it had done a lot of work and then left outside in all weathers it would look like that...maybe. :dontknow:

tempImageOJ26SL.gif
tempImageOJ26SL.gif (5.48 MiB) Viewed 4297 times
tempImage3Pgp7E.gif
tempImage3Pgp7E.gif (5.46 MiB) Viewed 4297 times
tempImageHpK0ZN.gif
tempImageHpK0ZN.gif (7.07 MiB) Viewed 4297 times
tempImage6k2sWx.gif
tempImage6k2sWx.gif (5.2 MiB) Viewed 4297 times
tempImagej6cKxH.gif
tempImagej6cKxH.gif (5.13 MiB) Viewed 4297 times
tempImageF2Llkq.gif
tempImageF2Llkq.gif (4.85 MiB) Viewed 4297 times

Looking at the chassis now maybe that needs a bit more weathering. What do you think....

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Heavily Weathered Binnie Wagon

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:42 am

Well the chassis looks in better nick than the skip, so on that basis schmaybe it needs a bit more rust? However, I daresay the skip bodies were sometimes swapped during maintenance (if any doneπŸ˜…) so maybe it doesn't matter?πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
That was helpful, wasn't it?. Sorry!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:45 pm

I think that wagon must have served its time very near the coast - and suffered from the salt sea spray ...... ;)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:10 pm

I bet it looks great when you get it out in the garden...

I think the frame is particularly nicely done, with patchy rust and a variety of tones.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:40 am

Thats for your helpful comments guys. I know the skip is too much now, but it's the first time I have done anything like this and I now know how much or little I should be doing. Certain things need a lot and others just need enough to show that it is aged.

You are right Rik, it has been near the coast. We used to live in Thornton/Stannah which is just about half a mile from the River Wyre. We used to see the big diesel's go through Thornton on there way to Hillhouse International which was formerly ICI and also Fleetwood Docks. They were so long that the crossing gates were closed for a good 10 minutes, mind you the train did go very very slow.

So now the skip is near the end of its life... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mamod sterling
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mamod sterling » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:12 pm

The framework looks especially good, utterly fab, rusted, flaking paint, excellent.

The body looks great too, its the bit that gets the lions share of the abuse, albeit typically impact damage, depending on the load it carried.

Paul
Mamod SL1 - ripe for modification
Mamod Brunel - ongoing modification
IPE Jane - rebuilt from 45mm to 32mm gauge, 'globetrotter'

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:23 am

Thank you Paul for your kind comment. :thumbright:

I am pleased that it as helped me understand a bit more about rusting iron, although my dad was in the scrap metal business and there was different levels of rust on the scrap iron that was in his yard. I do remember that anything that was enamelled that had been chipped, it took on a totally different level of rusting completely.

If it looks right for you guys and more importantly, (Anne) :D then alls well with life... :thumbright: :thumbright: