Coaches for Roundhouse Models

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Coaches for Roundhouse Models

Post by siclick33 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:38 pm

I am progressing with my Billy kit and I’m now starting to look at rolling stock. I will probably get another Roundhouse kit and have one with wagons and the other with coaches.

I’ve been looking back through this thread to find options for coaches, and have found some really nice ones, with good reviews. However, in many of the photos/videos that I have seen, a lot of them (to my eye) look too small behind the Roundhouse models; even the basic kit that Roundhouse sells looks a bit small to me (maybe it’s just me!).

Has anyone got any recommendations for kits (not ready-built) coaches that are sized to fit behind Roundhouse locos? Either a particular manufacturer or even specific models from within a manufacturer’s range? The only ones that I have found, that seem to be designed for Roundhouse sizes, are from SwiftSixteen, but I’m really looking for wood kits but these look like plastic/resin.

Many thanks,

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Coaches for Roundhouse Models

Post by angr607 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:52 pm

siclick33 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:38 pm I am progressing with my Billy kit and I’m now starting to look at rolling stock. I will probably get another Roundhouse kit and have one with wagons and the other with coaches.

I’ve been looking back through this thread to find options for coaches, and have found some really nice ones, with good reviews. However, in many of the photos/videos that I have seen, a lot of them (to my eye) look too small behind the Roundhouse models; even the basic kit that Roundhouse sells looks a bit small to me (maybe it’s just me!).

Has anyone got any recommendations for kits (not ready-built) coaches that are sized to fit behind Roundhouse locos? Either a particular manufacturer or even specific models from within a manufacturer’s range? The only ones that I have found, that seem to be designed for Roundhouse sizes, are from SwiftSixteen, but I’m really looking for wood kits but these look like plastic/resin.

Many thanks,
Hello,

The Bowaters Models Freelance Coaches were specially designed to run behind a Accucraft Lawley which is a similar outline to most Roundhouse engines. They're available from here - https://shop.bowatersmodels.co.uk/colle ... nce-models

Alternatively, the IP Engineering Freelance kits fill the same market as well. Available from here - https://www.ipenginnering.com/lasercut- ... oach-range

Hope that helps

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 pm

Thanks very much.

I’m new to this so maybe I am looking for the obvious, but many of the websites don’t appear to be crystal clear with the details.

What would help me is the following:

1) List of what is included.
2) List of any options.
3) Picture(s) of the completed item (ideally behind/next to a loco for size comparison).
4) And in respect of the question in this thread, dimensions.

I’ve ordered a couple of coaches from Jerry Irwin, who I found from this board, and his response has been exceptional, but I might still keep an eye out for anything else that takes my fancy.

I emailed Brandbright but it appears that, whilst the coaches are listed (as out of stock) on their website, they aren’t available again yet.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon May 02, 2022 7:26 pm

siclick33 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 pm Thanks very much.

I’m new to this so maybe I am looking for the obvious, but many of the websites don’t appear to be crystal clear with the details.

What would help me is the following:

1) List of what is included.
2) List of any options.
3) Picture(s) of the completed item (ideally behind/next to a loco for size comparison).
4) And in respect of the question in this thread, dimensions.

I’ve ordered a couple of coaches from Jerry Irwin, who I found from this board, and his response has been exceptional, but I might still keep an eye out for anything else that takes my fancy.

I emailed Brandbright but it appears that, whilst the coaches are listed (as out of stock) on their website, they aren’t available again yet.
I can't speak for IPE because I'm not the one in charge. But, for Bowaters Models products, I can help. I'll sort those things out for you when I get a chance.

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:33 pm

Just wondered if you'd got yourself sorted?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

jimmytrains_01
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by jimmytrains_01 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:48 pm

My Roundhouse no 1 coach next to my regner lumber jack
roundhouse coach one.jpg
roundhouse coach one.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 5497 times
Only changes and additions are a benched interior from Wood Valley Works 125mm and the build instructions allow the chassis to run flush with the end of the coach however I really liked the railings and cut short to expose railing and position buffer within the middle posts. The roof has a pvc soacked kitchen roll with concentric circles for texture. The axle boxes are IP engineering sprung axles with the spring removed.

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:33 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:33 pm Just wondered if you'd got yourself sorted?

Rik
I bought 3 of the Victorian coaches from Jerry Irwin, although they are at my parent's house so I haven't seen them yet. I'm probably going to buy a couple more and his customer service was excellent.

I didn't hear back from Bowaters after they posted on this thread, and they still don't list dimensions and the wheel/window options still confuses me a little. They aren't the only ones, so maybe it is me expecting too much.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:06 pm

Since I first became aware of Jerry Irwin's kits I have been an avid collector, everything he produces is to the highest standard and at a sensible price too!
I strongly suggest you watch his construction videos on Youtube before attempting the build, the chassis are a complex assembly which must be assembled in the correct order, but once made they are incredibly free running in proper bearings, supplied as standard.
Also, the 'Vicky' coaches can be built as plain box units and painted first, followed by the overlays, which can be painted separately (if you choose another colour?) before attaching to the structure. I have shown several of Jerry's kits on my thread (Time to build a railway) where my own 'Vicky's' are included...
IMG_9033.JPG
IMG_9033.JPG (111.18 KiB) Viewed 5270 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:45 am

Those Vicky's of Peter's do look excellent. When I get round to finishing my scratch built wagons they are next for me. It would take me for ever to scratch build anything as brilliant as them. :salute:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:08 am

jimmytrains_01 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:48 pm My Roundhouse no 1 coach next to my regner lumber jack
roundhouse coach one.jpg
Only changes and additions are a benched interior from Wood Valley Works 125mm and the build instructions allow the chassis to run flush with the end of the coach however I really liked the railings and cut short to expose railing and position buffer within the middle posts. The roof has a pvc soacked kitchen roll with concentric circles for texture. The axle boxes are IP engineering sprung axles with the spring removed.
I didnt know Roundhouse did these! Love the green you've chosen for it. :)
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

jimmytrains_01
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by jimmytrains_01 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:27 pm

The green I used is Humbrol enamel no 86 with a little thinner in the mix. It ran at the weekend in a friend's garden very smooth and doesn't need further weight, a little short with a Lady Anne but would look good with my Bertie.

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:06 am

It appears that Brandbright are starting to have some of their kits available again. I've ordered one of the small Premier Panelled Coaches to see what they are like.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:48 am

Brandbright were present at the Llanfair show, and a greater variety of 'bits' is certainly becoming available again..

Phil.P

Mamod sterling
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mamod sterling » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:47 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:06 pm Since I first became aware of Jerry Irwin's kits I have been an avid collector, everything he produces is to the highest standard and at a sensible price too!
I strongly suggest you watch his construction videos on Youtube before attempting the build, the chassis are a complex assembly which must be assembled in the correct order, but once made they are incredibly free running in proper bearings, supplied as standard.
Also, the 'Vicky' coaches can be built as plain box units and painted first, followed by the overlays, which can be painted separately (if you choose another colour?) before attaching to the structure. I have shown several of Jerry's kits on my thread (Time to build a railway) where my own 'Vicky's' are included...

IMG_9033.JPG
Peter,

Does Jerry Irwin have a web page or retailer please?

Thanks,
Paul.
Mamod SL1 - ripe for modification
Mamod Brunel - ongoing modification
IPE Jane - rebuilt from 45mm to 32mm gauge, 'globetrotter'

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:01 am

Hi Paul and :welcomewave

He doesn't have a webpage, but you can email him and he will send you a price list. He is very accommodating and will reply with any requests you have.

This is his email.

jerry.irwin@homecall.co.uk

And his Flicker page were you will find all of his models. I do believe he is also a Forum member.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/107486657 ... 8655086333

Mamod sterling
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mamod sterling » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:47 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:01 am Hi Paul and :welcomewave

He doesn't have a webpage, but you can email him and he will send you a price list. He is very accommodating and will reply with any requests you have.

This is his email.

jerry.irwin@homecall.co.uk

And his Flicker page were you will find all of his models. I do believe he is also a Forum member.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/107486657 ... 8655086333
Fab, thanks Rod. I had a google last night, and even the youtube page didn't lead to it, so I'll drop him a message now.

Many thanks.
Paul.
Mamod SL1 - ripe for modification
Mamod Brunel - ongoing modification
IPE Jane - rebuilt from 45mm to 32mm gauge, 'globetrotter'

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:31 pm

A couple of photos of my first Jerry Irwin Victorian coach. Any dodgy bits are due to my building skills, rather than the kit which was very very nice. I have 2 more to go (a 2-compartment and a 3-compartment) but might order a couple more.

911FFBDC-A0DA-4453-B1D0-897DCA6FE4EB.jpeg
911FFBDC-A0DA-4453-B1D0-897DCA6FE4EB.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 3702 times
869D9D12-E9FA-48AA-900A-95491E4B9ED0.jpeg
869D9D12-E9FA-48AA-900A-95491E4B9ED0.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 3702 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:51 pm

Another Jerry Irwin convert I see. They are great kits, as you have already said, and you have done a tidy job on that one.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:31 am

Can't see any dodgy bits myself :salute:

Brilliant coach isn't. :thumbright:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:14 am