BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

Post by BertieB » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:38 pm

Andrew wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:11 pm
“…the use of figures was a very hot topic”
Thank you. I hadn’t realised it was already seen to be controversial.

Interesting (to me) that he runs through some of the arguments — and arrives at precisely the opposite conclusion. The one he doesn’t mention (as I found — and as Philipy suggests) is that passenger vehicles, let alone a whole train of them, just look empty if you don’t put a few seated figures in the windows — and in this case, it seems to me, it doesn’t matter at all that they’re ‘static’. As Peter says (and I can illustrate) an obvious lack of crew on moving locomotives doesn’t look wonderful either.

I haven’t done a particularly accomplished job painting the cheapo Preiser clones in dull, much simplified colour (largely) — but I have to say the overall effect is still much better than I’d expected.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 pm

I think your Thumper really looks the part - well done. Have I missed a post about your sound effects? Are they only added to the videos, or have you installed a sound module? If so, which one please?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11077

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 am

Lonsdaler wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 pm
“Have I missed a post about your sound effects?”
Thank you. I’m afraid the audio’s just added in the video edit. My notion of using a thumping, ‘Xtra Bass’ Bluetooth speaker kind of fizzled out with the motorblock issues (and expense). I still fancy having a go, though — perhaps after a visit to the Spa Valley…

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:21 pm

BertieB wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 am
Lonsdaler wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 pm
“Have I missed a post about your sound effects?”
Thank you. I’m afraid the audio’s just added in the video edit. My notion of using a thumping, ‘Xtra Bass’ Bluetooth speaker kind of fizzled out with the motorblock issues (and expense). I still fancy having a go, though — perhaps after a visit to the Spa Valley…
That's a shame, it would be great if you can achieve it, although it would need to be played infrequently, to avoid annoying the neighbours😅
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11077