(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:02 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm They both look perfectly finished, weathered and not, as would be the way they were viewed at the time I'm sure. Is the hearse van green rather than black? The image on my screen looks positively dark green to me.
EDIT..... is that the Timpdon Models hearse van kit? How do you rate it?
Glad you like 'em Peter, thanks! I actually thought of you and your recent kit-building as I was making the hearse van - I think you'd enjoy it. On the whole I thought it was excellent - well designed, with nicely cut parts and some of the clearest instructions I've come across. I was glad I took the trouble to add the strapping around the bottom (which features on the original but not in the kit), and to change the very large couplings supplied for something smaller (very easily done, with no surgery to the van required), but those are pretty minor niggles.

It is black - I think the shiny finish is reflecting the lawn!

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:22 pm

I forgot to say - the turned brass "urns" for the corners of the roof are superb, my favourite part of the kit...

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 am

You should be right proud of they way they've turned out. Love the finish on the finials, it's just right.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:48 am

Very nicely done, Andrew. I particularly like the patches of blistering rust.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Hi all,

The latest project in the Carriage and Wagon works is a model of Ffestiniog Van 101, which I think is the one often seen in their demonstration goods trains and currently numbered 154.

I couldn't find any drawings, so created my own based on all the photos I could find of the real thing, so hopefully it's more or less right. Various details seem to have changed in the course of rebuilds over the years, from vents coming and going to plank widths changing - mine is intended to represent the van in its 1920s condition.

Here's where it's at currently:

FR Van 101 A.jpg
FR Van 101 A.jpg (123.65 KiB) Viewed 2643 times

I'm pleased with the curved buffer beams. I was going to leave them out, doubting my ability to make them neatly, but then I found some laser cut MDF ones I'd cut off another kit, so I extended them a little and used those. I'll paint the body next, then letter and weather it (I'm guessing the latter will need to be quite heavy to hide the inadequacies of the former!), then add running gear and make the strapping...

I was hoping to have it ready in time to run it with my new RH Palmerston, but I've just heard that's ready - very exciting!

Cheers,

Andrew

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Looks like it's going to be another great addition to the fleet

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Just found an image of the van, very nice looking vehicle with plenty of strapping detail to follow. Looking forward to it....
4581919529_007bacea3e_b.jpg
4581919529_007bacea3e_b.jpg (256.8 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:19 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:54 pm Just found an image of the van...
That's the one! Nice, isn't it? I like the unusually small radius of the roof, among other things.

Rik, I partly had your line, and in particular your goods train operations in mind when I picked this one to build. I hope to try out something similar next year but needed some more vehicles suitable for flour ( a relatively big FR/WHR traffic flow) and general perishables. I could have gone for the WHR van which I've not modelled yet, but I rather liked this one...

I like building vans - no interiors to worry about!

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:38 pm

Never thought about flour as a staple for goods traffic. I may need to look again at the weightings for my freight movements on the PLR - unless, of course, barabrith and Welsh cakes were a particularly strong feature in the communities served by the WHR and FR..... :lol:

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:49 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:38 pm Never thought about flour as a staple for goods traffic. I may need to look again at the weightings for my freight movements on the PLR - unless, of course, barabrith and Welsh cakes were a particularly strong feature in the communities served by the WHR and FR..... :lol:
There was a large-ish flour mill in Porthmadog, the building may still be there. Of I think the main traffic was to a bakery in Penrhyn on the FR, but it also made its way up the WHR. That and beer for the local pubs ( mainly in Beddgelert, I think) seem to have been the fairly regular traffic.

The old F&WH Rlys weren't above clichés, they had station mistresses in national costume at Tan-y-Bwlch and Beddgelert - they sold postcards, so maybe they flogged Welsh cakes too?!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:40 am

The water mill beside the PLR is based on the "grist mill" which was originally at Bulkeley. I'd always thought that "grist" was a sort of coarse flour or meal used for animal feed but I've just found out that "grist" actually refers to cereal grain which has been prepared for grinding - hence "grist for the mill". So, it looks like I already have a reason for flour traffic on the PLR.

It never ceases to surprise me just how much ancillary knowledge is needed to run a model railway ....... :shock:

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:05 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:40 am I'd always thought that "grist" was a sort of coarse flour or meal used for animal feed but I've just found out that "grist" actually refers to cereal grain which has been prepared for grinding - hence "grist for the mill".
Many years ago, I ran the QC lab in a flour mill and I can confirm that you are spot on. Most flours are are made from a combination of wheat from various sources blended together and that is called the grist. i.e. Canadian plus French plus English, for example, blended to give specific moisture levels, gluten strengths and other characteristics in the finished flour.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:01 am

philipy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:05 am Many years ago, I ran the QC lab in a flour mill and I can confirm that you are spot on. Most flours are are made from a combination of wheat from various sources blended together and that is called the grist. i.e. Canadian plus French plus English, for example, blended to give specific moisture levels, gluten strengths and other characteristics in the finished flour.
I'm 70 years old and still learning ...... 🤔

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:20 pm

Just a little more progress on this one - wheels, roof, a few initial details, and a coat of primer...

FR Van 101 B.jpg
FR Van 101 B.jpg (84.67 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:19 am

Lots of character in that already. :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Afternoon all...

I should be doing festive preparations really, but instead I finished my model of Ffestiniog Van 101, and here it is:

Van 101 A.jpg
Van 101 A.jpg (156.89 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Van 101 B.jpg
Van 101 B.jpg (148.09 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Van 101 C.jpg
Van 101 C.jpg (130.05 KiB) Viewed 2722 times

I say "finished", but actually it's not quite - I've got some FR numberplates to fit, but I've temporarily misplaced them, so it will have to enter traffic anonymously for now.

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on I'm not wildly excited about this one, but I think it'll look the part trundling along in a Ffestiniog goods train behind Palmerston, or making up the numbers in a Welsh Highland rake - there's at least one photo of the real thing on the WHR.

I really ought to return to the half-finished carriages now, but I've got a couple of quick (famous last words...) wagon projects I might have a look at first...

Hope all's well out there,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:02 pm

Excellent as usual Andrew. I do like the faded lettering.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:24 pm

I agree, it looks perfectly well to me, you should be pleased with it.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:22 pm

Thanks chaps!
Peter Butler wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:24 pm you should be pleased with it.
Do you know what, I think I am now... I literally took the photo as soon as the paint dried, and I think finishing the model you've spent weeks/months on can often be a bit of an anti-climax. I don't think weathering helps in that regard - it's my preferred state for many of my wagons, but it's odd to "outshop" something that looks like it's sat in a particularly dingy siding for several years!

Anyway, I've now elevated my humble van to the state of art by putting it on the shelf where Grace's finished pottery pieces live, and have enjoyed looking at it as I've pootled about this afternoon...

Van 101 D.jpg
Van 101 D.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 2695 times

Cheers all,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:46 am

That’s really neat — it looks way more plausible than the real one!