(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by LNR » Sun May 31, 2020 2:05 am

I agree with Rik, it's not easy to cut out windows and have them all as even as yours. Great work.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun May 31, 2020 7:50 am

A masterclass on cutting ply Andrew. Looks like another fantastic build coming again from your workshop. :thumbright:
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

Andrew
Driver
Driver

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:02 am

Thanks chaps, glad you approve of the work so far!

I'm afraid I seem to have chosen a very flattering angle for the photo - if you were to look closely you'd see all sorts of wonkiness! I like to think it adds to the light railway charm...

Cheers,

Andrew.

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:45 pm

It doesn't matter if there are any wonky bits as long as you do a nice job of the painting! If you feel the need to reach for the toilet brush and emulsion paint like most 16mm modellers just stop and do it another day. Just look on Ebay and you'll see what I mean.
I always use two coats of sanding sealer rubbed down in between then a good coat or two of cellulose primer then a top coat, this is usually done with a spray gun as you get a nice even flow compared to a fluttering spray can.
I've found a good source of masking tape too, It's a 50mm wide roll of what's called 'professional tape' by Tesa about £10 it's exactly like that expensive Tamiya Tape with the same charactistics but if you are using cellulose you do need to give the paint a couple of days at least to harden otherwise the tape will mark the paint.

John

Andrew
Driver
Driver

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:42 am

cncmodeller wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:45 pm
It doesn't matter if there are any wonky bits as long as you do a nice job of the painting! If you feel the need to reach for the toilet brush and emulsion paint like most 16mm modellers just stop and do it another day. Just look on Ebay and you'll see what I mean.
I couldn't agree more! Thankfully, that's the bit I can usually do relatively well, so I can bodge away feeling relatively confident I'll end up with something I'm pleased with ... Thanks for the tip about masking tape...

I've made a little more progress with the latest project (seats and ends) - photos of that and other projects soon!

Andrew.