Alternative Power

A place for discussing diverse methods of powering locomotives, such as Internal Combustion, Wind, etc...
Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Alternative Power

Post by Chris » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Not sure where to post this but still.

Just wondering if anyone has tried any different method for powering locos other than steam or battery. For example solar or wind up.

Was pondering with the idea of attaching solar cells to a lollypop tram but not sure it would get enough current.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 pm

weird :? Iv just sent a PM regarding the start up of a new forum section titled alternative power to replace the I/C thread which hasnt been used for a year. :shock:
A steam propelled life-style.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:20 pm

You're in the revised section now!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:25 pm

Well i've got a good alternative, a hot air engine. It uses cylinders as per a steam engine but insted of steam, hot air is used to push the piston. The air is heated by a little gas torch and the expansion of the air pushes the piston, and this starts the engine moving, as part of the process 2 smaller cylinders push cool air into the heating cylinders.
I've probebly not explained it well, a scratchbuilt 45mm guage version can be seen on one of the episodes of The Garden railway, the TV series that featured on one of the discovery channels (i've got the whole series on DVD)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:35 pm

I may experiment with a hot air engined loco at some stage...a man is donating me a reversible hot air engine so I shall see how that works and have a go at my own.

Solar power is also another source of power i'd like to have a go at.

Another form the WLR will be using is water...as the WLR will be based on a 18th-early 19th century industrial railway there will be all manner of inclined planes and disused tramways... wouldn't it be great to have a water wheel driven inclined plane!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:38 pm

laalratty wrote:Well i've got a good alternative, a hot air engine. It uses cylinders as per a steam engine but insted of steam, hot air is used to push the piston. The air is heated by a little gas torch and the expansion of the air pushes the piston, and this starts the engine moving, as part of the process 2 smaller cylinders push cool air into the heating cylinders.
I've probebly not explained it well, a scratchbuilt 45mm guage version can be seen on one of the episodes of The Garden railway, the TV series that featured on one of the discovery channels (i've got the whole series on DVD)

I almost bought that loco last year when it turned up on ebay.
A steam propelled life-style.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:53 pm

I've seen it done. Tried it once too. AIR POWER.

Those little propellor thingys with the air canister that powers a turbine to turn the prop. Strap it to a flat wagon, get a long level or downhill straight section of track and wala!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:04 pm

mhlr wrote:I've seen it done. Tried it once too. AIR POWER.

Those little propellor thingys with the air canister that powers a turbine to turn the prop. Strap it to a flat wagon, get a long level or downhill straight section of track and wala!
Another thing I saw....you get a little light 0-4-0 chassis. Stick a plastic drinks bottle on top with electric motor and a fan stuck in the front. Decorate with suitable areoplane decorations and give it a witty name such as Spritefire :lol:

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:07 pm

I now want to see photos of people building these engines and running them.
'Oliver's no use at all, thinks he's very clever. Says that he can manage us, that's the best joke ever. When he orders us about, with the greatest folly. We just push him down the well. Pop goes old Olly!'

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:09 pm

steamyjim wrote:
mhlr wrote:I've seen it done. Tried it once too. AIR POWER.

Another thing I saw....you get a little light 0-4-0 chassis. Stick a plastic drinks bottle on top with electric motor and a fan stuck in the front. Decorate with suitable areoplane decorations and give it a witty name such as Spritefire :lol:
somebody has seen Chris Mackenzies creation havn't they :lol: , the Tizer Moth (saw it running on the Timpdon lake railway at the Lytham show a few weeks ago, unfortunatly I didn't take a pic cos I didn't take my camera)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:15 pm

laalratty wrote:somebody has seen Chris Mackenzies creation havn't they :lol: , the Tizer Moth (saw it running on the Timpdon lake railway at the Lytham show a few weeks ago, unfortunatly I didn't take a pic cos I didn't take my camera)
Yup, I was talking to him about it at Warley...it was unamed at the time. I came up with Spritefire...but I have to say Tizer Moth is better

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:21 am

Aizoon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Aizoon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:35 am

I've promised myself that I will build a clockwork loco, but the Round Tuit has been delayed by horrendous weather conditions or, as we say in English, bad weather.
The Artful Bodger, Chairman, CME & CCE, PHLR

http://www.aizoon.co.uk/PHLR

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:39 am

Aizoon wrote:I've promised myself that I will build a clockwork loco, but the Round Tuit has been delayed by horrendous weather conditions or, as we say in English, bad weather.
Have you seen this site?
http://ca.geocities.com/clockworkpage@rogers.com/

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:34 pm

if I coult source a Wind up hornby loco thats in need of TLC id think of bashing it about to make a little desiel outline engine!
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

Aizoon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Aizoon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Chris wrote:Have you seen this site?
http://ca.geocities.com/clockworkpage@rogers.com/
Facinating! Not this Rogers, by the way ;)
The Artful Bodger, Chairman, CME & CCE, PHLR

http://www.aizoon.co.uk/PHLR

ferrysteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ferrysteam » Fri May 08, 2009 10:06 pm

What about a politician powered engine.They talk a lot of hot air. :D ......Allan.
Helen and Allan of the Frog and Ferret Railway.

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Sat May 09, 2009 6:00 am

ferrysteam wrote:What about a politician powered engine.They talk a lot of hot air. :D ......Allan.
:lol: :lol:
But it is what they talk out of that puts me off!

Nobel200
New User
New User

Solar power

Post by Nobel200 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:21 am

I bought a cheap solar powered educational toy which has lead to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfmT8yMp ... ature=plcp

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Re: Solar power

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 am

Nobel200:69611 wrote:I bought a cheap solar powered educational  toy which has lead to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfmT8yMp ... ature=plcp
Nice one sunshine! :D