Live Diesel 1/12th scale

A place for discussing diverse methods of powering locomotives, such as Internal Combustion, Wind, etc...
dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:44 am

Well, the cab is nearing completion.  All the beading is on.  It is time to make a gentle start on the bonnet.

Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 am

Here we are, I've bent up the bonnet in the wood vice. I like the end-on view, it's got that menacing look of the truck in "Duel" (I could put some battered old engine nameplates along the buffer beam of victims, lol).

Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Superb work - looking good - can't wait to see the finished product.
Retirement has its benefits if only I can afford the railway!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 pm

I have watched this thread from beginning to present and up 'till now have nothing to contribute to the project..... but I must say I am in awe of your engineering skills, combined with the infinite amount of patience you have shown in developing this loco.
Even your workshop is neat and tidy..... I must lie down now!.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:14 am

Thanks chaps. When I was younger I had little patience, let's hope I keep it up
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:34 am

Here's the latest progress, the side rods fitted, a test run on the line - pushed by hand...
The motion is a bit tight, it needs a good run under power.

Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:34 pm

That really looks like its coming together nicely, how far from running is it?
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:27 am

laalratty:103581 wrote:That really looks like its coming together nicely, how far from running is it?
I could run it now with the remote tank. It needs a good run as the motion is quite tight...
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:36 am

Finally, I got the loco running again. Last weekend I had lots of fun soldering up a small on-board fuel tank from a can. It only holds about 40 mL, but it lasts for 20 minutes and can be topped-up when running.

Just keep filling until fuel comes out the overflow.

Video of the run
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:39 pm

What a beautiful example of model engineering :D
What has Reality done for you lately?

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:12 pm

Annie:105276 wrote:What a beautiful example of model engineering  :D
Thank you Annie.

---

I've been making multi-height couplings for the loco, these are chunky fabrications and have taken a long time...

Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:47 pm

Got to congratulate you! That is one very good looking diesel.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:24 am

More power to your elbow. I can't wait to see pictures of it running.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:23 am

Recently I've been concentrating on the exhaust system. A manifold to turn the exhaust through 98 deg. Then a huge box for the gasses to expand in, and then exhaust pipe going up the front middle of the cab in between the windows. The exhaust box is all soft soldered together, and coated all over the inside surface with solder to protect the mild steel. The exhaust box has a capacity of about 200mL.

There's the oil drain at the base of the exhaust box.

Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Really does look excellent, the standard of work looks very high indeed.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:29 am

laalratty:106099 wrote:Really does look excellent, the standard of work looks very high indeed.
Thank you!

I've been sorting out the gear lever arrangement. Here's a view through the cab door way.

The pins on the ends locate the levers in the right position. The knobs in the middle are for fingers to push/pull the levers. The two outer levers are forward (nearest), and reverse. Each lever has an in-gear position and a out-of-gear position. The two inner levers are for the different ratios. First - Neutral - Third, and Neutral - Second.

In the picture the loco is in First gear, but not in either Forward or Reverse. This way the loco can be pushed along
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Had a great run yesterday. The run was to test the huge new muffler / silencer box attached to the cab firewall. There's so much expansion, that the exhaust gasses are quite cold exiting the exhaust stack. The muffler is very effective, there's little exhaust noise. However, there's a lot of mechanical noise from the motor itself, and there's a ringing noise from the muffler as it flexes, I'll put a stay in the middle to stop it.

The video was taken shortly after starting, I was draining off the oil until the good stuff started coming through, then reconnected a tube to the primary gearbox. I topped-up the fuel tank three times with the engine running. I felt like the run was about an hour. The loco went up and down the short section of track in all three gears, third is really rather rapid!

I measured some temperatures during the run with my eBay IR handheld thermometer:
I got cylinder head temperatures of 150 - 190 deg. C (300 - 370 deg. F).
And, the muffler box itself was only 70 deg. C (160 deg. F), which is lucky as it's only soft-soldered.

The motor wouldn't start with the exhaust stack fitted, so I replaced it once running. It's a slide-fit in the muffler
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Very, Very Impressive.
Regarding the noise from the muffler. You could try attaching a small bit of lead or similar to the side. All that you may need to do is stop the metal vibrating at a certain frequency to stop the noise. The small additional bit of dense material will change the frequency and the noise may change or disappear.
(car manufacturers use this technique to stop strange resonations in vehicles.)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:37 am

Big Jim:106329 wrote:Very, Very Impressive.
Regarding the noise from the muffler. You could try attaching a small bit of lead or similar to the side. All that you may need to do is stop the metal vibrating at a certain frequency to stop the noise. The small additional bit of dense material will change the frequency and the noise may change or disappear.
(car manufacturers use this technique to stop strange resonations in vehicles.)
Thank you Big Jim.
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:08 am

I've been having doubts about reusing the engine oil in the gearbox. With the old set-up the oil came from the very hot muffler. With the new set-up it's a lot cooler and solid droplets of water come down the tube with the oil.

I removed the lower gearbox cover, and this is what I found: The grey particles are metal fragments. I spent hours deburring these gears by hand when I made them.

All the muck and gunk wiped off easily with a paper towel. There is evidence of light erosion from where the oil sits in the trough, but no red rust.
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave